RC e-bike build! new to the forum.

patrick86

1 µW
Hello my name Is Patrick. I have been a long time follower of this forum and I want to say thank you all so much for all the inspiration and vast amounts of knowledge each of you have contributed. 3 years ago when I first discovered ES I decided I had to have an E-bike. I had been flying and tinkering with RC Planes for a while so naturally I decided to go with an RC build. Shortly after I started the project my wife and I had our first kid so that put the project on hold for a while but recently I was able to finish the bike.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

For the build I used a scorpion 5525 170kv motor and re terminated in wye to get down around 100kv. This motor is rated for 2500 watts continuous but it was my goal to go for efficiency rather than all out raw power. For the reduction I used #25 sprockets from http://www.andymark.com/Default.asp (great place to get this kind of stuff). I have put over 1000 miles on the bike and the #25 sprockets have no sign of ware. I used a turnigy K force 70 HV esc and added 4 220uf caps and built a waterproof case. I know alot of people have problems with these cheap HK esc's but knock on wood, so far so good. I think the large added heat sink and caps help a lot. I have been very pleased with the performance numbers, in low gear it tops out at 10 mph and in high it does 28 mph. I could gear it to go faster but I live in Key West where there is a lot of traffic so 28 is plenty fast for me. I took some readings with my amp clamp on the top 3 gears at 21 mph (gear 6) it pulls 6.2 amps 279 watts 13.3 WH/Mile, 25 mph (gear 7) 8.5 amps 382 watts 15.3 WH/Mile, 28 mph (gear 8) 11.5 amps 517 watts 18.5 WH/Mile. Even running at 28 mph for a 3 mile stretch to motor was just barely warm . These readings were taken on flat ground, no pedaling and very light wind. On hard acceleration in the mid to high gears could briefly hit 70 amps 3150 watts but this would pop the front wheel up if I was not careful. For my battery I am using a zippy 8AH 12s. most of my rides are around 15 miles so this battery works perfect. I have room in my rack bag to fit at least 4 of these packs if i want to. Please let me know what you think I would love to hear your feedback and questions.

Hey Patrick,
welcome to the forum, fatherhood & everything else! :p
Nice execution & good job on Keeping most of the spinning dangerous stuff well protected. nice to see some thought in those areas.
T

Niiiiice... that is going to be one happy kid getting towed around the Keys by that. And I predict that will become a highly copied RC drive on here...

Back