Rear stay/dropout mods for a hub motor on Honda Dream

DCDreamer

1 mW
I'm doing my first build using a '64 Honda Dream. Planning on using a 5kW QSmotor V4 motor (may upgrade to 6kW depending on cost). QS is rating the torque at 30-250N.m. I'm not seeing the weight of the motor/wheel on the specs I have. Going to do a 72Volt battery (should I consider 96V?).
My question is... what type of reinforcement might I need to do on the rear stays/dropouts to account for the torque and weight of the rear hub motor?
See pictures below of stays. It's my understanding that these were not super powerful bikes. The construction is pretty interesting an stamped steel and welded frame as opposed to bent tubing. The motor was apparently part of the structural makeup of the from, so I'll have to build a battery case that takes that into account. Don't think that should be a huge issue. It's the torque in the rear axel I'm concerned about,.

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1299.jpeg
    IMG_1299.jpeg
    902.4 KB · Views: 11
Have you read through this thread yet?

And on post #44 he starts talking about modding his swingarm.

I think you'd be better off fabricating a new swingarm, both for better torque retention and for brake mounting that fits your new brake. That way the only stock part you have to interface with is the swingarm pivot.

Have you read through this thread yet?

And on post #44 he starts talking about modding his swingarm.
Did not see the add on post about the swing arm. Thanks.

I think you'd be better off fabricating a new swingarm, both for better torque retention and for brake mounting that fits your new brake. That way the only stock part you have to interface with is the swingarm pivot.
Interesting proposition. I guess it depends on how hard those interfaces are to mod compared to building a swingarm from scratch. Also really reliant on my own fabrication skills, which are admittedly not at the level of the majority of people on the forum Still....Something to consider, I guess.

Back