Recommendations on a front suspension fork...

steveo

100 kW
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to replace the front suspension fork on my hub monster bike with something fairly decent at a reasonable cost

It must be a 20mm axle.. and 180 to 200mm travel, with good adjust-ability for mostly on road use, and the occasional off road use.

Also easy to get replacement parts are a must for future rebuilding.

I also am in need of a front rim/spoke/hub setup. I would like a moto rim in the front with 19" or 17" rim size.

If you have any suggestions based on your experience let me know, i just want to make the right choice before investing $$

My bike weights around 120-140ish lbs.. and another 230ish lbs for myself on the bike

also if you have anything for sale at a reasonable cost, let me know!

thanks
-steveo

Dual crown 200mm...
Cheap as chips.... 'DNM USD8' inverted forks. The caster of the fork legs is set quite forward so you get a good turning circle(well, better than most dual crown forks). Probably ok for road riding and probably difficult to get replacement parts.

Reasonably priced... Rockshox Domain RC. A spring shock which comes with 3 differing rated springs(though you will need the stiffest) as well as a high and low upper crown for higher or lower handle bar height.

Smooth and plush and a lot for your money.... Manitou Dorado expert. Inverted air shock. Top quality performance and half the price of Fox 40's. Fork design gives room for wide tyre and has pinch bolts on the axle for extra safety.

Lots of forum users in the U.S/Canada seem to use Holmes hobbies for good quality moto rims. Other thanthat, try pm'ing QS motors, they sell 19" pre built moto wheels for 20mm axles. There is this also.... https://laebike.com/collections/front-bike-and-moto-wheels/products/17x-1-6-front-moto-rim-20mm-hub and i think they do 19" as well.

Also, i think Dr.Bass may have some interesting ideas on front forks for power applications, try asking him.

Thank you for your recommendations!, Keep em coming!

Get a used Marzocchi Monster? Rebuild parts are available, it's highly adjustable, and can handle harsh rides and heavier wheel setups. So a heavy MC wheel setup will be less of an issue. It will handle the weight. the normal monster was what I used as the first fork for my monster build. I was able to fit a 4" tire on mine with a little mod work, so it should handle most tires you might consider with your MC setup.

Hi Steven

You don't say about the weight. If you don't care much, buy an old Monster T. Cheap to buy and to rebuild as new in one hour, very robust and will last many years without any maintenance riding the street.

If you need lightweight, and willing to spend more, find a Boxxer WC solo Air. I have 2 of them, been riding years on and off road reliably. Change the oil regularly (10 minutes), and it will last a decade.

Ready to buy new ? Get a Boss on the Canfiel Brothers website, very good deal right now.

I don't know about Ontario, but here in Montreal the first two can be found locally at a good price in the winter.
Call Benoit, I believe I saw one Monster T in his shop and you might cut a trade. There are a few in good shape around, and on Pinkbike too.

brumbrum said:
Maan, those monster T forks look mean. 6kg and 12" of travel :shock:
12" is the Super Monster T, this one is rare and expansive. The Monster T is 7", and much more suitable to fit a bike frame without the need for geometry mod.

MadRhino said:
Hi Steven

You don't say about the weight. If you don't care much, buy an old Monster T. Cheap to buy and to rebuild as new in one hour, very robust and will last many years without any maintenance riding the street.

If you need lightweight, and willing to spend more, find a Boxxer WC solo Air. I have 2 of them, been riding years on and off road reliably. Change the oil regularly (10 minutes), and it will last a decade.

Ready to buy new ? Get a Boss on the Canfiel Brothers website, very good deal right now.

I don't know about Ontario, but here in Montreal the first two can be found locally at a good price in the winter.
Call Benoit, I believe I saw one Monster T in his shop and you might cut a trade. There are a few in good shape around, and on Pinkbike too.

Thanks Madrhino, I really appreciate that!

i will send Benoit a quick pm

-steveo

MadRhino said:
Hardergamer said:
I'm looking for a front end for the same sort of bike too, so subed, but have been looking at this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lat...-Electronic-Motorcycle-Parts/32727051370.html
If you want an inverted fork, I would suggest an old Shiver. You can find one fully rebuilt for the same price as this new DNM, and the old Shiver will ride better... much longer. The best inverted fork right now is the DVO Emerald, not so easy to find used at a good price.

Thanks!! I'm now thinking about sum ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi...201226?hash=item465dba4d0a:g:89IAAOSw3v5YnLn0

Dude..I would get a motorcycle fork, lower handlebars, matching rim and tire to your rear to complete your sweet electric supermoto

Baron said:
Dude..I would get a motorcycle fork, lower handlebars, matching rim and tire to your rear to complete your sweet electric supermoto
We are in the ebike thread, if he is building a motorcycle no one was aware.

For ebike, a motorcycle fork is way too heavy, also does require crown machining and pressing in a new steer tube. It could be done with races adapters for some frames, but those who did it often had frame failure. Bicycle frames are not strong enough to stand the use of a 60 lbs front end. Even a Super Monster T is too much stress for most bicycle frames.
In a time when many motorcycles manufacturers are turning to bicycle forks on some of their bikes to save weight, using a motorcyle forks on an ebike does not make much sense.

MadRhino said:
Baron said:

For ebike, a motorcycle fork is way too heavy, also does require crown machining and pressing in a new steer tube. It could be done with races adapters for some frames, but those who did it often had frame failure. Bicycle frames are not strong enough to stand the use of a 60 lbs front end. Even a Super Monster T is too much stress for most bicycle frames.
In a time when many motorcycles manufacturers are turning to bicycle forks on some of their bikes to save weight, using a motorcyle forks on an ebike does not make much sense.

You're right, but he is using a Hubmonster, remember. Can you still call it an ebike with that motor and two adapttos?
I am way out of my element here, but some guys here were talking about using a Zero fork on an "ebike" build.

Yep, but we don't choose a fork by the power of the motor. We match the fork with the weight of the bike, frame type and geometry. Fitting a 41mm Showa fork to a bicycle frame doesn't sound good to my rider's logic, especially when high performance is the goal. I wouldn't mind much if it was for aesthetics purpose on a slow cruiser bike.

Baron said:

I think this would be awesome, same sort of thing like luke did on this death bike..

But how could i make it fit? Do i need to hack up the frame to use the front tube off a motorcycle?

MadRhino said:
Baron said:

kind of answers the concerns i have with moto forks!

but i think braking force is really important on a 32kw ebike! but 60lbs front fork.. wow!

Braking force required does not involve motor power, unless you plan to hold throttle and brake at once. :mrgreen:

The equation has only 2 parameters: weight and speed. Yet, the bigger models of bicycle brakes can stop 350 lbs from 130 Km/h to 0 very short and reliably. The fork has nothing to do with it, other than flex and resistance requirements. This means you need a pro DH fork at that kind of speed, but it doesn't matter if it is old or new, heavy or light.

Hardergamer said:
Nice!! i can see why you want the Marzocchi Super Monster T! why did they stop making them? :mrgreen:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2101792/
They stopped making anything :roll: m

The Super Monster was not a good seller. Too long, too heavy, too expansive, too much of a fork for most frames. Most manufacturers did specified the installation of this fork would void the garantee of their frame.

They sold a lot of the 7" Monster T though. That is why this one can be found cheap today.

The Super Monster T is very rare today, and you can buy a very good new racing fork that is a much better ride for the same cost. It is mostly for collectors and old school nostalgic who still have the frames that were made for them 12" forks.

MadRhino, I saw a few posts where you commented on the DVO emerald. I actually was looking at forks and came by the DVO emerald and then searched endless-sphere if anyone actually used it. It seemed like it would be a decent fork when looking at the specs.

One thing I noticed is that it is an air spring fork and not coil. I was under the impression that coil forks are better and the only reason to get an air spring fork is to save weight and saving weight is a non-issue with an ebike.

I was wondering your thoughts about the DVO emerald being an air sprung fork. How would the small bump compliance be on the emerald?

Offroader said:
MadRhino, I saw a few posts where you commented on the DVO emerald. I actually was looking at forks and came by the DVO emerald and then searched endless-sphere if anyone actually used it. It seemed like it would be a decent fork when looking at the specs.

One thing I noticed is that it is an air spring fork and not coil. I was under the impression that coil forks are better and the only reason to get an air spring fork is to save weight and saving weight is a non-issue with an ebike.

I was wondering your thoughts about the DVO emerald being an air sprung fork. How would the small bump compliance be on the emerald?

Air forks are more complicated and expansive to service, but they are quick and easy to tune, with better precision and more sophisticated functions. Weight saving is not the only reason why all racing forks are Air sprung today. They ride better, adapt better to various terrain at figertip adjustment, they are winning races. Many freeriders are doing the Air cartridge mod on old forks that are overbuilt. While it does make them lighter, they are still heavier than modern forks. Riders like them because they are stiffer, more robust than modern forks. Today, spring and oil bath forks have only one advantage over air forks: mainenance. They are easy and cheap to service and don't require frequent maintenance, that is a priority for many over weight and tuneability considerations.

I use the three of them: Modern racing air fork, air mod vintage fork, and an old monster T that is spring and oil bath. I use them on different bikes, for different rides.

Back