Recreational rear traction breaking role models?

deepfraught

100 W
First time poster long time reader.
I love On Any Sunday.
I like the drift around the barn video clip of a Stealth bike.
I like road/trail bikes, rear brake lockup and powersliding 90 degree tail out hook turns.
I would like to commute on a hard tail MTB with slick rear tyre and have the same fun on wet grass and loose surfaces by snapping the throttle.
I know anything is possible and Endless-Sphere forums can make all my dreams come true.
If anyone is living the dream I'd like to shortlist some role models for setups to consider.

Sincerely,
DeepFraught.

PS: less silly background info
I've read a lot here over the past 9 months and earlier.
I commute on a front hub single speed retro fit.
I've managed to commute at least 2 days a week consistently for 3 months now, got some good cycle specific clothing for the first time ever, some great new generation lighting, and prefer to cycle over motorcycle or scootering in to work as I have a 1yo daughter, and even on bicycle have to remind myself to be safe and not take risks.
The electric removes the excuses when sick or having late nights with teething baby, and when I had all 4 motorcycles/scooters out of action with a run of bad luck, and was sick for a couple weeks, I could still commute daily and felt better for those couple hours than when sitting down in office in between.
Last week I picked up a local cheap/nasty e-MTB used only a couple times for half the price, battery and motor are gutless compared to my commuter, but saw value in it for the e-bike specific MTB frame with battery in rear seat post, simple gear system (1 front, 6 rear). I thought it would be a good base for a new setup, and a backup bike in the meantime. It is very slow though, haven't fitted 1.5" slicks from my old commuter MTB yet, but the weak motor doesn't feel like it makes up for the added weight compared to light fast feeling rigid MTB with slicks.

Sounds like anything with 1500 watts or more would get you started. But for real spin the rear tire in the dirt stuff, even the best overvolted hubmotors get a bit underpowered. Sounds to me like what you want it something like the stuff Live for Physics builds, but he has the money for rides that last a minuiute or two before combusting.

So I'd say look to what Hyena has done if you want hubmotors. 3000 watts or less is still pretty fun. So start learning about lipo batteries, and then get a 72v controller. Though you might not burn a lot of rubber, 1500-3000 watts is still pretty fun. Waiting for light, so I can take mine out. 8)

Thanks, for the fun goal the crank drive with sprocket adjustment would be best guarantee, but I've read about the noise, which "can't be much" but just with this cheap rear hub motor bike I've been testing, it groans and moans at low rpm under max load, and I look forward to the accleration to when it quietens down. The hub motor is definitely more complementary to the natural bicycle experience I'm after, with a snappy throttle on demand desire for hills, wind, or slippery surfaces.

I'm happy I have the chassis now for what I want as my backup e-commuter, only problem with the rear mount 10Ah 36V battery is more weight there making it harder to break the traction. On the e-roadie I have a water bottle 7Ah 36V battery on frame down tube bottle cage mounts, and on the scales with rack and tools off back axle/seat post, front mini hub motor, it's almost 50/50 weight balance without rider and under 20kg. The e-MTB is heavier with 4.5kg more at the rear, no racks or tools. Weights a bit dodgy with front scale being old analog, but was repeating the results consistently at least.

Anyway I'm decided now to look for a 26" high torque higher voltage setup for the e-MTB, reduced Ah from battery would be fine as I'm fit enough now to have a 7Ah last both commute directions on the e-roadie single speed, carrying charger or leaving one at work to have 72V in 36V enclosure and not add any more weight will be nice. There was a 72V crystalite, controller, motor, wheel, battery, cycle analyst kit I had read on here from a guy in SF working from home (Ivan?).

I'm jut not sure if more torque, more power, or just biggest possible and more of both is the best for slick tyre spinning in dirt or wet grass, so I'll chase down that aspect and look at the referred role models you've given. Thanks a lot for the pointers and I hope to report back with some anticipation when something is ordered, but price/budget for that kind of kit will be the major issue.

..I'm happy I have the chassis now for what I want as my backup e-commuter, only problem with the rear mount 10Ah 36V battery is more weight there making it harder to break the traction. On the e-roadie I have a water bottle 7Ah 36V battery on frame down tube bottle cage mounts, and on the scales with rack and tools off back axle/seat post, front mini hub motor, it's almost 50/50 weight balance without rider and under 20kg. The e-MTB is heavier with 4.5kg more at the rear, no racks or tools. Weights a bit dodgy with front scale being old analog, but was repeating the results consistently at least...

weight distribution is pretty academic on a bike without the rider.
Frame geometry, bar and seat positions etc all alter the CofG of the total weight. and of course, the bulk of that weight (the rider) is not fixed and can move position a lot.
So dont fret over motor weight or location as a factor for being able to produce wheelspin, just avoid hub motors, go mid drive, Astro or Agni, high ratio gears, strong controller,and some tough lipo,
PS, those tricks (donuts, wheelspin etc) are not really very impressive on an Ebike anyway ! :roll:

Thanks, I don't use the motor much on this bike with 6 gears already and taller gearing than my single speed front hub, so noise from mid drive wouldn't be the end of the world if it achieved the fun results cheaper/easier/more often.
It should be cheaper as well because I can gear for high torque or speed as required by sprocket/chain changes, and I will still have my e-roadie 200w commuter so not wrecking my reliable ride to work.

I'm not out to impress anyone with stunts or post them to youtube to have e-fans following me.
I want road trail motorbike ability of tail sliding power on loose surfaces at twist of the wrist.
It makes me happy playing around, and I don't get to go out for dedicated trail rides, but I can afford to deviate on the commute to have the same kind of fun :)
If it seems silly, watch the 70's doco On Any Sunday by Bruce Brown, it makes me want to get out there every time.

Back