• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

refidgerating cells?

SwampDonkey

100 W
Our lithium cells operate via a redox reaction, correct? Would cooling the cells slow degradation and stabilize the chemistry within them?

Lithium cells degrade in proportion to their storage temperature. They also degrade in proportion to their state of charge. Discharging them to 40% SOC and storing them cold is known to increase their shelf life greatly.

If they're in active use, charging immediately before use (to 4.1V rather than 4.2V per cell) is probably better than any other life-extending measure you can implement. I reckon that lots of warming and chilling cycles in a working battery would be likely to cause problems due to condensation.

Performance is best when the cells are warm. In fact, 1/4-mile drag racers heat-up their battery packs before a run. That being said, they know ahead of time that they will be getting very few runs per pack.

For long life, store the cells at somewhere around 3.3V per cell, and keep them cool. You can even store them in a refrigerator. As Chalo said, if you store them at 4.2V and they also get hot....they will die quickly.

https://www.electricbike.com/how-to-make-lithium-battery-last/

Just watch out for enough condensation to short when temp rises fast.

IOW let them warm up overnight before

For long term storage, like you will be gone years, definitely store in a cold place vs a warm one. But first disconnect completely from all possible trickle discharge, particularly a bms.

But in use, lets say its winter and your storage is just above freezing, it will really help to warm the pack before you try to use it. It this case, you might be better off to keep the thing overnight in a warm box. Could be a 100 watt incandesent bulb in there, a snake cage warmer, electric blanket or pad, etc. Not hot storage really, it could still be well below room temp. But much warmer than froze, or just above frozen.

Right, cold is good for storage, but you need to warm them up before charging or really bad things can happen.

From what I have read anything above freezing is ok for charging Lithium. I store my cells in the fridge at about 40 degreesF when I am not going to use them for a while.

No, many chemistries are permanently damaged charging at low temps and high C-rates.

under 10°C I would only do say 0.1-.2C charging.

Ideally for high-rate charging (above .5C), I'd wait until they got warmed up to around 20°C

"Damage" meaning lost lifetime cycles, not necessarily noticeable in normal usage.

My main point is if you are storing them cold, best to warm them up a bit before you use them. So you can get use out of them at normal capacity.
Example, I store my batteries outside in an old stove. It will freeze the batteries if the weather is super nasty for a week. But thats rare here, a typical morning it might be 18f out there, but maybe 31 in my stove. Well, I'm not riding in 18f. But the stove catches morning sun, and I can put the pack on top of it once the sun comes up. This means when I ride later, when its 50f, the pack has warmed up. That particular spot will be at 60 or better. If I left it in the shade inside the stove till 11 am, it would still be below 40f. So that 60f battery performs fine for me when I finally go ride.

If I was still working, commuting in the dark in the morning and riding when its very cold, I'd have a snake warmer in that old stove, to keep it 60f in there all winter.

Flip side is, when its really hot, inside that stove gets to about 90f, vs 110. Not cool storage, but better than nothing.

Put them in a cool dark corner. If you put a premade pack of sales in the refrigerator condensation will happen around the terminals and the problem will do more damage than good. Do you have cold dry storage because a refrigerator is not cold dry storage look at the sweat on your glass milk bottle that's been in the refrigerator.
So no do not store battery packs in a refrigerator.
A battery is there to be used if you're not using your battery why do you have a boat anchor. So go use your battery plugging in charger drain plug it in charge it drain it use it.

Back