Regen working the wrong way - pls help

Vin.Solos

10 µW
Hey guys,
So my 3000w 60A controller has regen but the regen works in the wrong direction. What I mean is, when the brake is applied, the motor keeps spinning (from momentum left in it) and doesn’t really brake, but when I try to turn the wheel the other way (trying to go backwards while braking), the motor is using regen, it’s very hard to turn. My controller doesn’t have any external wires to enable and disable regen but I’m assuming there’s something I can do inside the controller to enable it - I’ve included pictures
Two purple wires are the current braking wires (for brake levers ) and they have “SL” next to them on the circuit board and next to that there’s “SH”; could this be something to do with regen since it’s right next to the normal brakes ?

And no it’s not a geared motor with a clutch, it’s a 3000w brushless gearless motor.
E77B56F2-FFB5-4E13-AEDE-8B1DAA8B0171.jpeg

C8FF041B-1DD9-4161-B98B-934441999C27.jpeg

45873827-CF94-4757-B041-F1E21051E1DE.jpeg

66D88DDD-EE12-41B9-AE6D-FC29C030171C.jpeg

Hey guys,
So my 3000w 60A controller has regen but the regen works in the wrong direction. What I mean is, when the brake is applied, the motor keeps spinning (from momentum left in it) and doesn’t really brake, but when I try to turn the wheel the other way (trying to go backwards while braking), the motor is using regen, it’s very hard to turn. My controller doesn’t have any external wires to enable and disable regen but I’m assuming there’s something I can do inside the controller to enable it - I’ve included pictures
Two purple wires are the current braking wires (for brake levers ) and they have “SL” next to them on the circuit board and next to that there’s “SH”; could this be something to do with regen since it’s right next to the normal brakes ?

And no it’s not a geared motor with a clutch, it’s a 3000w brushless gearless motor.
EVDb1Px_d.webp

2ROt4bm.jpg

2ROt4bm

FlbcPwQ.jpg

W1f6B7w.jpg

45873827-CF94-4757-B041-F1E21051E1DE.jpeg

66D88DDD-EE12-41B9-AE6D-FC29C030171C.jpeg

I think that you don’t need to do mods to the controller, this should be set with controller software settings.

Have you ridden the bike yet?

My experience with a 1500w direct drive and 35a KT controller may be a little different than what you're facing, but with that bike you could not feel the regen working at speeds below 15 mph. At 25mph it was very noticeable, but still nothing alarming. Mine was used to basically hold my speed in check going down big hills. Point being, I'm not sure of your expectations?

Vin.Solos said:
but when I try to turn the wheel the other way (trying to go backwards while braking), the motor is using regen, it’s very hard to turn.

Unless you're riding down a hill backwards, I doubt that you can spin your wheel fast enough by hand to engage regen.

It’s a 3000w motor so you can feel the effect of regen very easily, the wheel becomes stiff instantly when you try to spin in backwards

MadRhino said:
I think that you don’t need to do mods to the controller, this should be set with controller software settings.

It’s a sw900 display that I use this with and this controller doesn’t have a programming port or Bluetooth so I don’t think it is

Vin.Solos said:
It’s a 3000w motor so you can feel the effect of regen very easily, the wheel becomes stiff instantly when you try to spin in backwards

That would be unique. With both controllers I've used for regen, it cuts out below 6mph. I'm assuming you've ridden other bikes with regen so you know how it feels?

E-HP said:
Vin.Solos said:

That would be unique. With both controllers I've used for regen, it cuts out below 6mph. I'm assuming you've ridden other bikes with regen so you know how it feels?

Yeah I’ve ridden the exact same motor model with a slightly different controller and I didn’t even have back physical brakes since the regen braking basically stopped the bike completely (72V motor). So I don’t know if this is an error with the controller manufacturer or what but it’s just this controller that’s making the regen only work backwards

Back