Retirement Time

Got three new bare root roses in the front and used the extra dirt left over to fill around the yard lamp post. Leaves in a pile around the tree trunk because the green waste can is now only picked up every other week due to the bat flu. Got to see that Saturn/Jupiter convergence but the photos were junk. Finally got some time off after the holiday season, now get to visit grandma this week. Gonna take her a nice big fat pastrami sandwich (her favorite). :pancake:

Visiting grandma today in Desert Hot Springs. Weather is beautiful with unlimited visibility. Lately she gets around in an electric wheelchair. She’s still getting therapy at home several times a week.

We could make that electric wheel chair go waay faster. :twisted:

Like this:
[youtube]gWYRhaOd1PE[/youtube]

https://abc7.com/brush-fire-burns-600-acres-prompts-evacuations-in-mountain-center/9681316/ :twisted:
Could see some smoke here in the valley coming from the Strawberry Creek area.
Can smell it outside.

Pruned the roses in the front yard today. The new ones look to be better than the ones I put in last year. We will see if some new basal canes can be forced to come out. Still have a lot more in the back yard to do once the storm passes.:confused:

Got the backyard done today. Cleaned the patio off, pruned the roses, mowed the lawn and weeded. No storm damage, just a lot of twigs everywhere from the wind. The roses could use some help. I’ll probably fertilize them before the next rain. :mrgreen:

Taxes done today, took a $500 hit loosing our daughter as a dependent so she could get the $1800 stimulus even though I turned 65 last year. I would also have to go blind to get it back. Made more money last year but it put us in a higher tax rate. :x
Gonna feed the roses some Ironite in anticipation of some precipitation. I hate spot watering with the hose. I might clear the ground cover around them first to give the sun access to the basal area to warm it up and force new canes to come out. :mrgreen:
When we lived on the coast I used Tree Seal on the roses to discourage borers and other pests, but here in the inland empire I haven’t ever seen a single aphid or snail and very few grasshoppers.
Now if I can teach the lizards to eat the black widow spiders; haven’t seen any for months so maybe they already are. :twisted:

Roses rebounding from pruning quite nicely and the new ones are looking good. Last year’s plantings not as good as this season’s, possibly because I waited longer to plant.
The daffodils are lovely right now. I will have to plant some more in the fall from the nursery in town. The perfect spot is next to the front door and the irrigation valves so there will be a group of them every four feet or so between the roses all along the front of the house. 8)

Had an old friend come over and do a couple of things. He just retired from the metal workers union. Grew up together on the same block. Now he’s about 30 miles away so we’re going to get together again soon.
Oliver got a high chair so he can eat with us at the table.
FFE2611B-CA4E-433A-8920-C559159F534F.jpeg :lol:

Took a weekday trip to Idyllwild taking advantage of the 80+degree weather. Only about 1/10th of the stores open, a couple of piles of dirty snow here and there in the shade. Temps in the sunny 70’s. 8)

Day trippin’ down to Julian, San Diego County gold rush town. Took Sage Rd South to CA79, passing through Aguanga (earthquake hot zone), Oak Grove and Warner Springs. Some of the most beautiful scenery in all of SoCali. Everything still green before the fire season, temperature in the low to mid 70’s. :mrgreen:
The town itself is charming and there are great eateries and b&b’s along all of the streets with small boutiques and specialty shops everywhere.
Did a little people watching and there’s lots of hiking trails and camps in the area. 8)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian,_California

markz said:
there are great eateries
small boutiques and specialty shops everywhere
Were they open?
Did a little people watching
Were they wearing masks?
Most everything was open for the local April Lilac Festival with indoor dining, masks when not seated at a table. Shops closed at around 5:30pm, restaurants staying open a little later.
Slow start to the tourist season was less crowded than expected.

Having a garage sale yesterday and today. Two beds, dresser, table and chairs. Lots of misc. items left over from when we moved here three years ago, couldn’t have sales where we used to be in a gated community near the coast. So taking advantage of the low 80 degree weather right now before the heat arrives in a couple of weeks.
At least get to see my music stuff that’s been buried in the garage. Once we get rid of a lot more junk I’d like to have a music room again and record some new songs. 8)
The neighbors to the left are having an afternoon party so the guests bought some stuff and a few of them are smoking pot next to their cars at the end of the cul-de-sac.
My wife had to go to the post office and what a fiasco. She couldn’t even get her package they said because Amazon doesn’t deliver to Hemet but our zip code is Sage and I have seen them on our street. So I wheeled and dealed for her while she was there. :lol:

Got most of the stuff set up in the family room. Now just need a cheap electric guitar for noodling on and set up the recording equipment.
Got some more yard work done. Spotted spurge and foxtails under control, along with fixing fence and replacing a fuse in the sprinkler controller.
Putting up pictures and shelves that we found out in the garage and fixing a few table lamps.
The wheat harvest has started. Doesn’t look as high as the previous years but the tumbleweeds got dragged into a row where they stay out of the way of the harvesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbclosangeles.com/news/california-wildfires/firefighters-battle-vegetation-fire-burning-in-hemet/2626993/%3famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desertsun.com/amp/7790753002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=djVdXgg0tz4 :twisted:

About three quarters of the dry farmers gave up on the wheat harvest already this year, disking it under or renting it out to sheep herding nomad flocks. The best field looks ready but barely tall enough for a sickle bar to get under the heads.
The only good news is that weeds are down except tumbleweeds, and just one fire west of town so far.
Slight chance of rain but doubt if we’ll get any.

My brass band rehearsal got drowned out in a thunderstorm today. I hauled my cargo bike and drum rig under cover, but everything still got drenched because the rain was coming in from everywhere and taking over the air.

My self-declared retirement has been getting jam packed with work from all my friends and acquaintances who want me to build e-bikes for them! Between that and my two part-time bike shop gigs, I've been working as if I still had a career to distract me.

I guess there are worse things than never having to seek work (because it's always seeking you).

ZeroEm said:
You may need to hire an apprentice. Where is your build thread or pic of you cargo bike?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91938&p=1340786

file.php

I handed down the BBS02 to my ex-wife, and installed my old faithful Crystalyte 5305 front motor since then. It has had several different rear wheels (with different gearing) and a couple of handlebars. I don't have pictures of all the iterations. Here's the most recent photo I have:

IMG_20200924_203630860~2.jpg

What do you carry on your bike that you need such large cargo carrying capacity?
Well I know you do carry anything and everything, but just pound off a list of say 10 things, lets say the most recent bulky top 10 items.

Chalo said:

Back