Reversible Clutch

d8veh

1 GW
A few people have posted that they wanted to run a geared motor in the opposite direction. I was playing with a Q100H, when I noticed that the clutch is completely symmetric from one side to the other, so it's a simple job to reverse it. The threads go right through and are equally chamfered on each side. It must be the same with the Q128, Q85 and Q75. You'd have to figure out the correct phase and hall sequence or use a controller with a reverse jumper.

Q128 has a plate attached with 3 small countersink screws on one side of the clutch ramp. I can’t remember if there's screw holes which would make it reversible?

Maybe I took some pictures when last reworking the Q128 clutches? Will dig around…

Sorry to dig this up, but I'm trying to do exactly this with my Q85 and have fallen at the first hurdle. I can't figure out how to get the thing open! I've taken out the screws and loosened the nut but I'm not seeing how to pull the cover off the motor. I think I've found a seem just short of where the spokes are laced in but it doesn't appear to be susceptible to being prised open with a screw driver. Do I just need a bit more force or am I doing something wrong?

Arethosemyfeet said:
Sorry to dig this up, but I'm trying to do exactly this with my Q85 and have fallen at the first hurdle. I can't figure out how to get the thing open! I've taken out the screws and loosened the nut but I'm not seeing how to pull the cover off the motor. I think I've found a seem just short of where the spokes are laced in but it doesn't appear to be susceptible to being prised open with a screw driver. Do I just need a bit more force or am I doing something wrong?

“IF” Q85’s same as Q100 you’ll need to fabricate a simple wrench to unscrew the housing cover. Can often use one of the 3 screw holes holding the clutch to the cover to attach a piece of long scrap (and longer bolt/screw) secured using one of the clutch screw holes and act as a lever arm in order to unscrew the cover.

“IF” Q85 is like Q128, then you only need to remove 6qty screws around the cover and it should just lift off. Maybe tap it lightly but should never need a great deal of force.

***EDIT***

If it's this one? It's like Q100.
q85-24v200w-250w-front-driving-v-brake-hub-motor-ebike-kit.jpg
You'll need to use couple of the 3 clutch screw holes with longer bolts/screws attached to a long lever arm to unscrew the cover.

Success! I now have one Q85 wheel that runs forward, and one that runs backward. If anyone else is wondering the bolts seem to be M5 size. I ended up just slotting a couple of M4s into the holes and levering them with a spanner. Redoing the wiring was pretty simple once I found the picture in this thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48311&hilit=+hall+phase+combo

Thanks go to d8veh and Ykick

Back