Right hand gear shifters that work with thumb or twist throt

Rodney64

100 kW
This thread is about what throttle (twist or thumb) works with a 7,8,9 or 10 speed right hand shifter with right hand throttle.

Post up make and model of shifter and throttle used.

Please also post up pictures with photos and any modifications that were needed to get a trigger shifter too work.

My stuff is just so old, that posting make and model will be useless to you.

But here is what to look for. A shifter with a not too excessively long thumb lever. That's the one on the bottom, for pulling on the cable.

Just look for a shifter that doesn't try to have either lever on it stick wayyy out into the grip. Lots of trigger shifters out there that will work with throttles, sometimes maybe by trimming some plastic off the end.

If you can get the shifter so it clears the throttle body without having to mount it more than1/2 inch down the bars, that will still allow you decent reach to both the shifter levers and the brake handle. This photo shows from the top, but the lever on the bottom is the one that is too long on some models of shifter.

dogman dan said:
My stuff is just so old, that posting make and model will be useless to you.

But here is what to look for. A shifter with a not too excessively long thumb lever. That's the one on the bottom, for pulling on the cable.

Just look for a shifter that doesn't try to have either lever on it stick wayyy out into the grip. Lots of trigger shifters out there that will work with throttles, sometimes maybe by trimming some plastic off the end.

If you can get the shifter so it clears the throttle body without having to mount it more than1/2 inch down the bars, that will still allow you decent reach to both the shifter levers and the brake handle. This photo shows from the top, but the lever on the bottom is the one that is too long on some models of shifter.

Thanks Dogman, and thanks for the photos. Any ideas are good as I still haven't found even what you are suggesting.

My old Diamondback came with Shimano indexed shifters (GS 100 series, I think) that hang below the bar, one lever for shifting up, one for down. They fit well next to my throttle, but I never use throttle so I wouldn't know how easy it is to shift and pull throttle at the same time...

Any plain half-throttle should fit because you can rotate it round to a position where the cable doesn't interfere with anything. Plain means no switches or LEDs.

Some trigger shifters have such a long lower lever, that the throttle would have to be moved a full inch down the bars.

But lots exist, that can work with about a 1/2 inch gap. NOTE, with a thumb throttle things get a lot more complicated, since the thumb throttle has to be mounted on the bars at a comfortable angle, which often means the brake handles have to be rotated out of the way.

This pic is the same shimano, from about 2005. This view showing the lever that usually causes any problem.
This one did not need it, but sometimes I will take a box cutter, and shave 5mm off the tip off upper or lower lever, to get the throttle to mount closer without interfering with the levers.

Just put the right hand shifter on the left bar, "backwards," and don't use a front shifter (you probably don't actually need it).

That's the fix for the cheesy twist shifters. I did that on my recumbent bike, that has gears only in back.

Not to self, put a proper shifter on that bike soon. Works for now, because I really never shift down on that bike.

If you really never shift at all, replace your cable with a 4" piece of baling wire. Put in high gear, bend over the wire to lock it in place. Actually, you can just let the derailleur spring back into high gear on a rear shifter. But the wire will allow you to put it in a lower gear if you need it someday to limp home.

This wire trick, it really works good when you remove a left side twist shifter. Then you can use the wire to lock the front derailleur on the big gear. And keep the front derailleur as a guide that helps keep your chain from jumping to the lower gear all the time.

On both of my street cargo bikes, I much prefer an old school friction shifter for the right hand bar. Seldom used, I mount it way out of the way of brakes.

On the dirt bikes, I go for the trigger shifters every time. On the dirt, I do sometimes need a lower gear, in a hurry.

I think I've done 3 bikes like this so far. At least one used the Shimano Rapidfire shifter/brake set. The trick was adding a space like Dogman said. 1/2 inch was about what it took.

Also, the wire leaving the throttle will interfere with the shifters unless you rotate it around to be up near the brake cable.

Syonyk said:
Just put the right hand shifter on the left bar, "backwards," and don't use a front shifter (you probably don't actually need it).
That's what i did as well. Only gears in the back and i took the 9 speed sram twist shifter and mounted it on the left hand side. Must be turned the other way round than what you're used to, but no problem to adjust to within minutes.

dogman dan said:
This wire trick, it really works good when you remove a left side twist shifter. Then you can use the wire to lock the front derailleur on the big gear. And keep the front derailleur as a guide that helps keep your chain from jumping to the lower gear all the time.

On most setups, you don't even need the wire - just adjust the limit screws on the derailleur to hold it in place as a "big ring guide."

With the elimination of the frt. shifter, I use left side throttles, specificaly, a left-side half-twist.
For my 2WD, I use the LH, HT throttle, side by side with a thumb';
View attachment 1
SAM_0993.jpg
Many think a left side throttle violates some kind of universal law, but I rode motorcycles for 50 years and no adapting was necessary.
The brain doesn't care what side the throttle is on.
The original right shifter remains intact.

Back