Sad Day for ebikes in New york state

Here in Upstate NY I've never been stopped while on any of my EVs - not even the X-Treme XM3000 with those awful flame decals applied under the clear coat. Still, I ride my EZIP carefully, have lights on it, and wear a helmet. (This is wise for safety reasons alone.) I've ridden right passed state police cars twice this year (with motor off!) and was left alone. Still, I worry!

Leftie, i've done that too shut off the motor when I see a Cop :D
not all the time but sometimes, also I always all of a sudden just ride it like a regular bicycle when i spot a cop but like over exaggerate it LOL, I say to myself it's a regular bike it's a regular bike :lol:

I sometimes ride LIRR, Metro North with bicycle permit. I always remove my battery pack and put it inside my backpack. This way if/when the conductor asks me "is that electric?" I respond: "nope, not at the moment." Although, I must say, most conductors never question and the couple that do are just genuinely insterested in an eBike.

Some train cars even have 20A outlets (electric wheelchairs?) and if I'm carrying my charger can grab a nice opportunity charge!

btw, local news is reporting lawsuit after lawsuit about the new bike share locations - pissing off little old ladies and building owners. I believe this recent eBike witch hunt will probably take a back seat for a while, LOL....

Ykick, i've used those 110 outlets even on the older style LIRR trains, I'm planning on a Westhampton Beach trip with the E-Bike via LIRR & plan on removing the battery as well. I've never done it before { a bike on the LIRR } I'll get the permit & follow the instructions { front car is it, off peak } .
Good info though, thanks.. I commuted for 17 years on the LIRR , dont miss itonebit, :) well to be honest better then driving to NYC :wink:

You can buy the $5 lifetime permit from the conductor and it's good for both LIRR/Metro North. I don't worry much about a particular car as long as it has the wheelchair area and not crowded (off peak) you're good. I always bring some light duty tie-downs in case I wanna sit in a train seat and secure the bike to something but for shorter hops I merely sit on the bike.

My friend in Long Beach has suggested to go out to Montauk someday? Much better to use LIRR and switch to eBikes. Will let you know if/when that ever materializes?

Long Beach Boardwalk { after the rebuild } via Lynbrook station good idea too, circumventing long Beach Road & saving the battery for a full day in Long Beach is something to consider, I lived on Vermont st. 30 years ago & then a run east to Point Lookout then back to the station makes it worth utilizing the train as part of the itinerary, good info on purchasing the bike pass etc.. thanks :)

It's not about politics it is about BRIBES. The ICE industry paid more bribes to get them banned than the ebike industry did to keep them legal. It is as simple and corrupt as that.

once the laws had been passed. importantly we have to find out if the laws get the traffic police enforce or not. I can see NYC hope you switch back to a car, or motorbike. NYC will earn more taxes for your insurance, petrol, parking fees. once the laws passed for the month dont go and ride your ebike. see one catch one. the gov must have bought alot shares "petrol companies". hoping more people buy more gases, comes a with tax.

NEW york state wants all of the people there to take public transport, or own a vehicle.

Total and utter bullshit!

Justice William Tolman - Washington Supreme Court "Citizens of the United States of America shall as an apportionment of their right to liberty maintain the RIGHT to travel using the conveyance of the day" - A right cannot be taken, it must be surrendered. Basically when you get your DL or Non Driver ID from the state, you ask them to give you permission to do something you already have a right to do, people will argue that fact left and right with me and that's fine but - most of these "laws" wrap up in Motor Vehicle Code, which all states clearly define as applying to a "Licensed Operator" then within their own context they require licensing. Get a Passport, surrender the DL and the State ID and they have no further jurisdiction... they may try to assert jurisdiction but without that contractual request for the state ID you are not defined as a "Licensed Operator" and thus MVC is not applicable to you.

My bikes weigh under 50 lbs with me on them about 210, most "bikes" with average rider can easily exceed 300 lbs... with cargo, much more.

Personally I would suggest that if New York City USA can't even have laws in keeping with the US Federal Electric Bike laws (something I'm not sure they have the right to even do in the first place) you would think they would be at least as progressive as the European cities... kinda pathetic!

Control and Taxes (not that they don't always go together).

-Mike

I was just in NYC visiting and saw tons of cheap electric bikes. Mostly delivery workers. I guess they didn't get the memo. They should not be banned because cops really have no way of enforcing the law.

maybe I'm a misguided optimist. I would start focusing on a way to get them legalized, even if it means registering/taxing/insuring.....whatever. e-bike would still be better than a motor vehicle. Luckily I live in a small enough town that banning is unlikely.....but ya never know.....so I still find myself "faux" pedaling

edited cause I can't spell...

Gator said:
maybe I'm a misguided optimist. I would start focusing on a way to get them legalized, even if it means registering/taxing/insuring.....whatever. e-bike would still be better than a motor vehicle. Luckily I live in a small enough town that banning is unlikely.....but ya never know.....so I still find myself "faux" pedaling

edited cause I can't spell...

They are technically illegal now. What NYC has done is specifically ban E-bikes, whereas state law now says that they are not legal for use on public roads and sidewalks. A pretty fine distinction, but one that the police appear to use to generally ignore E-bikes outside of NYC...

ONCE the law pass down, and the Upper boss police chief will order down his men to catch ebiker. The police will stop every ebiker if they can. I think the police car will not be a stupid driver right ?, I am sure the police car will NOT want to get themselves a accident while chasing a ebiker. Im sure police car has to obey traffic rules when they are chasing a ebiker right ? Which road will the police car can easily spot and chase a ebike? oh a road that has very few cars, no traffic jams, a clear road.

In China, some places i have heard are banned with ebikes. Only those who are on delievery has a TAG, licence approved by authority.

That video showing the disabled lady claiming that ebikes are doing illegal things like riding the wrong way on a sidewalk or going too fast. How about we address those issues instead of banning something that you personally can't use due to a disability?

Her stupid mobility scooter took up more room and time on the sidewalk than the ebikes and nobody would even think about taking her wheels.

And although this makes me glad that I don't live in NY, I see other municipalities trying to copy-cat possibly, which concerns me.

I READ the comments on the bottom and this guy claims to have invented the electric bike:

https://www.facebook.com/AviationMetalSmith

Could this be true?

I wonder what would happen if delivery fees were the same price as the food, with a guaranteed gratuity of 20% of the whole total. Since most people in Manhattan use "delivery" on a regular basis, they could opt to pay the double fee plus gratuity, plus the cabbie, plus his tip. Make a $30 pizza cost $85, and put a web address right on the box for them to use for complaining.
If somebody had to deliver on a pedal bike, they would be assured of earning $55 for the delivery. Once the mayor found that out he could scream about bicycle delivery people.
Then have the same delivery man do the whole thing on foot instead of a bike, ESPECIALLY if the food order was going to city council chambers.
Hell they all could even make national news, the day the pizza arrived in a limo...for an extra $200 surcharge.
After that maybe the council members would be brought up on charges of misappropriating funds for fast food delivery. After the dust settled, maybe the same fat asses who voted no e-bikes with one hand while they shoved pizza in their pie hole with the other would be sent back to the boroughs with doggie bags...

cal3thousand said:
That video showing the disabled lady claiming that ebikes are doing illegal things like riding the wrong way on a sidewalk or going too fast. How about we address those issues instead of banning something that you personally can't use due to a disability?

Her stupid mobility scooter took up more room and time on the sidewalk than the ebikes and nobody would even think about taking her wheels.

And although this makes me glad that I don't live in NY, I see other municipalities trying to copy-cat possibly, which concerns me.

I READ the comments on the bottom and this guy claims to have invented the electric bike:

https://www.facebook.com/AviationMetalSmith

I'm partially disabled: my legs don't work extremely well anynore, and I find walking pretty painful, especially for longer distances. However, I can ride a bicycle with relative ease - but can't climb hills unaided. My EZIP has allowed me to improve my legs, lose almost 20lbs, and get a lot more fresh air...

Could this be true?

Back