Safe Outdoor LIFEPO4 Storage Temperature?

geeeyejo1

1 kW
Well the weather has been getting marginally warmer on the East Coast and rather than removing my LIFEPO4 battery and bringing it indoors to charge and store after each use; I would like to start keeping it on my bike and keeping it outside on the porch. Going down to 38 Deg F tonight so I brought the battery in. What is the general consensus on a safe range of temperatures for outdoor LIFEPO4 storage and charging?

That seems like a sort of general question. Not all lifepo4 are made the same. You might ask whomever you purchased your pack from, some vendors same one temp for their lifepo4, some say another. However, on ping's site (source: http://www.pingbattery.com/usrguide/Wiring%20Guide%20V2.5.pdf) the charging temperature is 0-45C.

I power my TForce by LiFePo battery made of cells from LIFEbATT/PSI brand.
I regularly ride my TF in below zero temp all winter. I would never leave my TF outside, leave alone battery for longer than 15 minutes after ride in below zero temp. outside.
Winter or summer I keep my ebikes indoors hallway not only because of battery. Breakings into garages are not so uncommon here.
It takes only imagination, just think about it, neighbours see me ebikes loaded with quality components and simply looking expensive everyday when I arrive from work,

it is only matter of time before word spread about "nice bikes". Neighbours have visitors also, they blah, blah.
By leaving my ebikes on the deck it would be clear "invitation" to steal. My is not any criminal neighbourhood it doesn't really matter. Many bikes are stolen by occasion.
I would say the best temp for LiFePo is room temperature 15-20C, for storage cool environmant around 10C.
I am sure anything below zero is bad, bad.

miro13car said:
I power my TForce by LiFePo battery made of cells from LIFEbATT/PSI brand.
I regularly ride my TF in below zero temp all winter. I would never leave my TF outside, leave alone battery for longer than 15 minutes after ride in below zero temp. outside.
Winter or summer I keep my ebikes indoors hallway not only because of battery. Breakings into garages are not so uncommon here.
It takes only imagination, just think about it, neighbours see me ebikes loaded with quality components and simply looking expensive everyday when I arrive from work,

it is only matter of time before word spread about "nice bikes". Neighbours have visitors also, they blah, blah.
By leaving my ebikes on the deck it would be clear "invitation" to steal. My is not any criminal neighbourhood it doesn't really matter. Many bikes are stolen by occasion.
I would say the best temp for LiFePo is room temperature 15-20C, for storage cool environmant around 10C.
I am sure anything below zero is bad, bad.
Thanks -that's what I was thinking. When temps start averaging over 50 Deg F I will likely keep the battery on the bike on the porch. I keep the bike chained on the porch to slow down/deter any potential thief. During warm weather we keep our dogs - a large Doberman and a Rottweiler mix out most all day - would take a very brave (and stupid) bike thief to enter our property. Our house is also set back from the street and has a long row of this tall bushes/trees that hide anything on our porch from casual view. I could take the bike in but the only available storage is in our basement, down a long flight of stairs - doable but with a 75lb Ebike, quite a pain in the ass!

Nothing wrong with colder storage. But discharging it when really cold cost's you range. Don't put a truly frozen battery on a charger. Warm it up first.

I'd rather ride a bike with the battery well above 50F, and much much prefer a battery as warm as 80F.

Back