Samsung 25R/LG 18650HE2/ Sony VTC5 high power 18650 battery

madin88 said:
i also think this is the common way how most of the battery packs are built.
Of course, the cells vary in capacity, resistance etc, but the percentage of a blown cell or short circuit on a battery pack built up from all factory new cells (identical cycles / same abuse) will be probably go to zero. If you do some selection it will be still better..
I think there is more error-proneness due to mechnical defects (vibration, corrosion from a got wet battery etc.). If the pack is built solide, i would say there is no really a need for fuses on every single cell.
Well, there are many lithium fires worldwide.. Except the few that have known cause (like metal debris piercing the pack), much larger number is of "unknown cause". Heat is so intense that it is very hard to tell what actually happened. Some designs do have bad wiring, etc, but some look very good... But.. no fuses. Even Boeing have no idea what the hell is happening.

circuit said:
Teh Stork said:
circuit said:
On every EV race contest. This is mandatory for all participants, written black on white in racing rules.
Also such fusing is available in my 18650 kit.

Well, I'm working as a consultant on a formula student car building the battery pack and I can tell you with 100% confidence that only one pack fuse is needed. So no, cell level fusing is not mandatory in every EV race contest.

Other rules include thermal monitoring of 2 thirds of cells and cell voltage monitoring on every cell.
This is strange, because many customers were talking about cell-level fuses. Also I recall this being discussed here on forums.
I will ask to show the document, when I get a chance.

Did a quick google search and found a nice english document. It is about snowmobiles, but probably not that much different. From page 51:
EV6.1.5 If more than one battery cell is used to form a set of single cells in parallel such that groups of parallel cells are then combined in series, then either each cell must be appropriately fused or the cell manufacturer must certify that it is acceptable to use this number of single cells in parallel. Any certification must be included in the ESF.

EDIT: the same text is in "Formula hybrid 2014 rules". Document attached.

The rules for formula student are avatible online, they are extremely boring. The pack I'm helping on is using single pouch cells of the required capacity, so there may be a special clause for 18650 cells. The whole pack comes in at 16Ah 540V nominal and a tad under 55 kg (of this, 45kg is cells). It should be able to deliver 85kW continously and ~120kW peak. There are high demands to cable isolation, pack relays, isolation barriers, no charging in car and, above all, documentation.

Did I mention this stuff is redicoulusly expencive? The final price of the pack is close to 3 USD pr Wh.

As for cell level fusing. You have a nice thing going with your 18650 kit Circuit. The downside is the cost of laser cutting or stamping these specialized sheets. As I've understood it, Tesla uses ultrasonically welded single conductor to each cell. Basically this lowers production cost and improves safety. I can see the need for fuses in a ~100p big car pack, but does the same apply to a normal ~4p ebike pack?

My opinion is that a properly designed BMS system, with thermal monitoring on all submodules, negates the need for cell-level fusing. You can find the same discussion about fusing batteries "the traditional way". In many cases it is simply a liabillity since it introduces two extra points of failure. Compared to a properly designed overcurrent shutdown system fuses are stone-age-tech.

We're abit off topic here, should we create a new thread? (Very interesting topic)

PS: I wrote this before you updated with Formula rules.

I was looking at the figures for laptop fires on planes. They are very high compared to laptop fires in general. Source's are few, but the big sony recall of millions was based on fewer numbers than we had on planes last year.

My mind goes towards the lower air pressure and how things would gas off more. Also how tiny bubbles within a pack would expand causing movement otherwise not seen. The numbers are impossible to ignore, and it is only air pressure that is any different up there. Anyone know if boeing has had fires on the ground?

friendly1uk said:
I was looking at the figures for laptop fires on planes. They are very high compared to laptop fires in general. Source's are few, but the big sony recall of millions was based on fewer numbers than we had on planes last year.

My mind goes towards the lower air pressure and how things would gas off more. Also how tiny bubbles within a pack would expand causing movement otherwise not seen. The numbers are impossible to ignore, and it is only air pressure that is any different up there. Anyone know if boeing has had fires on the ground?
Yes they did. Very recently there was a fire on ground, however still, one hour after flight.

Teh Stork said:
We're abit off topic here, should we create a new thread? (Very interesting topic)

PS: I wrote this before you updated with Formula rules.
We can continue on my kit's topic:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55870

In my opinion the bigger the pack the more safety needs to be implemented. Back on topic, both of these 18650 batteries will be in stock early in March. I will buy them as soon as the seller Supowerbattery111 has them in stock and do some load testing with them to share some real world results.

your welcome my friend, if you have any other questions about these cells i will be happy to help and see if i can get you information. :)

friendly1uk said:
[
From what little I have read there is no bms, Just a fuse and chemistry that can't over charge. Why are you sure there is electronics in there? (I'm certainly not sure there is)
If you dismantle a Sony laptop pack, you will see a PCB with a bunch of components and connections to each cell, and temperature sensor between the cells.
It may not be a BMS but it sure looks like one and I cannot imagine what else it may be.

Every laptop pack have a circuit board
battery2.jpg

A. Temperature sensors- monitor the battery temperature.
B. Lithium-ion cells- Store energy.
C. Voltage Converter- maintains proper levels of voltage and current.
D. Notebook connector- Used to transfer power between the battery and the notebook.
E. Voltage tap- which monitors the energy capacity of individual cells in the battery pack.
F. Battery charge state monitor- a small computer that handles the whole charging process to make sure the batteries charge as quickly and fully as possible.

I'm currently communicating with Supowerbattery111 to build a battery pack using Sony VTC4 cells, but after seeing this datasheet for the Samsung 25R I'm wondering whether its worth the wait for these to become available. Supowerbattery111 has advised me to use the VTC4 over the 25R for high current drain, due to its capability of 30A continuous compared to the 25R's 20A. However, comparing the datasheets for the VTC4 and the 25R, the 25R seems to have slightly less sag even at 20A continuous. With an extra 500mah capacity and probably less $, is there any reason to not go for the Samsung? I initially thought the Sony was the king of the jungle, so can someone point me in the right direction?

looks like the 25Rs will be available in a week or so from supower.

Lillian said she is waiting for them to come through in the post, but i diddnt ask the price yet.

Hillhater said:
Another idea for those thinking of cell level fusing...
(possibly better done by spot welding though )
From here..http://www.youtube.com/jehugarcia
Thank you nice chanel!

liveforphysics coment please

wow, i like this!
i think soldering the fuse wires will not hurt the battery much, because it requires only to coat a very small area with thin (about 4mm²) and this can be done very fast.
doing so, not much heat will get inside the cell or to the chemistry.
the bad thing about cell level fusing: resistance will rise, but i would accept this due to a more safe battery.

madin88 said:
wow, i like this!
i think soldering the fuse wires will not hurt the battery much, because it requires only to coat a very small area with thin (about 4mm²) and this can be done very fast.
doing so, not much heat will get inside the cell or to the chemistry.
the bad thing about cell level fusing: resistance will rise, but i would accept this due to a more safe battery.

What I'd like to see is someone testing a batch of fresh cells, soldering the tabs on one half of the group, spot-welding the other. Then measure capacity over a few cycles, IR, etc.

The amount of heat required on the battery itself (for a good solder joint) still doesn't seem like the right thing to do, but that's purely my own speculation. With old and tired laptop cells It's probably not worth stressing over, but what about fresh 25R's?

Soldering on the flat V- side is absolutely a nogo.
Heat is the cycle killer nr.1 thats why ecar manufactures put cooling systems to the battery pack.
If you park your ecar in the hot burning sun the temperature coul'd easy go up to 60*C this reduces useable cycles massive.

Hey guys the batteries will arive and get to supowerbattery111 tommorow. I will purchase the cells tommorow and once i recieve them i will tell you my initial thoughts on the cells. :D Pricing for the 25R cell is said to be similar to the 24R cells Remember this price includes the free tab welding service which is HUGE in helping to finish building the pack.

sardini said:
Hillhater said:
Another idea for those thinking of cell level fusing...
(possibly better done by spot welding though )
From here..http://www.youtube.com/jehugarcia
Thank you nice chanel!

liveforphysics coment please

Ok. I will comment.

I think anytime you're soldering to a cell, you run the risk of locally causing thermal decomposition of the solvent/electrolyte blend, which can give otherwise healthy cells new potentials for failure modes. Though I used to do it myself for many years, I no longer recommend the practice because it's a process that is over-likely to cause cell damage IMHO.

With respect to the individual fused-link interconnect system, I think it's very cool when done right. Tesla does it right and it's a pretty amazing design. The bend in the wire needs to be perfectly curved to avoid stress-risers as the cells inevitably wiggle around. If you use straight pieces of wire, they are going to concentrate stresses and fail joints, the curve is critical for long-term survival.

There is a picture of a Tesla built Rav4 pack on ES somewhere. That is the best fused interconnect system I've seen for 18650's. The best non-fused DIY friendly non-cell-damaging interconnect system I've seen for 18650's is the no-weld, no-solder system using dimpled copper strips. I think it's an excellent pack construction method for round cells, perhaps the best of all the DIY pack build methods we've seen on ES.

The one main benefit of using the "fused" cell connection system (done correctly) is that if provided protection against a "cell short" situation where one cell could internally short and if not isolated (by the fuse) would consequently short out the whole parallel string of cells. A major pack failure and potential fire starter.
But, i ask those of you who have worked with these 18650's for some time, what is the real probability of such a cell internal short, or similar local major over-current event ??

Maybe, 2P is not exactly big deal. As end result they just self discharged down to 0V very quickly, was only enough heat to deform the green plastic wrap. What is internal short BTW? What exactly is shorting inside?

Back