Schwalbe Big Apples (WIDE)

I have three similar bikes on which I have I've used a range of tires from 700Cx23mm to 700Cx47mm and I have found that the average speed difference over 20+ miles when moving up even several tire sizes is slim when human-powered and essentially zip with electric assist. There's no doubt knobby mountain tires add significant drag but I'm talking street "slicks" here so given the choice I ride the largest tire I can fit on a bike because when properly inflated they offer better comfort and stability. After the standard equipment 47mm Continental City Contact tires on my Kona Smoke wear out I'll be replacing them with either Schwalbe Marathon Supremes or Big Apples in the 50mm (2.0) size or the BA's in the 60mm (2.35) size. I would likely run the 50’s close to the 40 psi front / 50 psi rear I use in the 47mm Continentals and the 60's at no more than 30 psi front / 40 psi rear.

-R

There was quite a discussion on these tires on this thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=455&hilit=tires+balloon

I heard Big Apples were a bit rough.

that's why I compromised on a set of Michelin City 1.85". They are small enough to fit with extra room for fenders, and very fast, yet more than big enough to give a comfy ride, with alot of strength.

I recommend the Michelin City tires for anyone converting and MTB, who wants a good quality city tire. They are also more affordable than Schwalbes.

How does the Big Apple 2.35x26 compare to the Maxxis 2.50x26 down hill bike tire? I have been running the Maxxis 2.50x26 on the rear of my delta E-trike and on my Cycle Genius long wheelbase E-Recumbent. I typically ride at 35 mph. I want the best possible tire for safety. I read where someone tested the Maxxis 2.50x26 at 90 mph on a bike in the UK towed behind a Porsche.
Don Gerhardt

Attachments

• IMG_0012 Gerhardt E-Trike & Tesla Car.jpg 640x480.jpg
    IMG_0012 Gerhardt E-Trike & Tesla Car.jpg 640x480.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,575
Big apple tires have kevlar flat protection. Hookworms don't. Big apple 2.35 won't be as tall as the 2.5" Hookworm and might be slower and not roll as good. I'd say for flat safety the Big apple with kevlar guard wins. For speed safety, the Hookworm wins. Take your pick. :)

I will take it to 30mph.

I want flat protection. Can you imagine changing a flat after removing all those pipe clamps to release the torque arm? :(

I will get the 2.35" x 26" Schwalbe Big Apples.

Russell said:
I would likely run the 50’s close to the 40 psi front / 50 psi rear I use in the 47mm Continentals and the 60's at no more than 30 psi front / 40 psi rear.

-R

I will likely run 50psi front and 40 psi rear. I have a suspension fork, so I can use a higher pressure up front. Or should I just do a 40/40?

40/40?

Dare to experiment. Air is cheap.
My 26" X 1.75" Marathon Plus tires are rated for 45 - 75 PSI.
The rear is carrying almost all the weight on my bike so it's at 75 PSI. The front is closer to fifty to improve the grip of the light front end.

No one has mentioned this so I thought I'd ask.

How is the noise on the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" tire? Is it normal or does it produce any unusual noise?

Thanks.
Ambrose

They are very quiet.

ambroseliao said:
No one has mentioned this so I thought I'd ask.

How is the noise on the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" tire? Is it normal or does it produce any unusual noise?

Thanks.
Ambrose

I just wish the big apples had more tread or higher quality rubber on them. I'm on my 2nd one after less than a year.
but it is on the front with a front 5303 motor so it tends to spin out a bit from starts wearing out the tread.
I dont mind buying new tires every year or so but having to change them is a pain.
I have a continental city on my back that has lasted the life of the bike so far (5000 miles) and looks like it will last forever.
The apples are good if you dont have suspension.

I've put 2.35 Big apples on my Kona Worldbike. They barely clear the fenders. They don't slow down the bike when compared to the 1.9" Cheng Shins that it came with. They seem fine, even tho I'm running them in 25 mm rims which I think is considered too small.

A world of improvement in cushioning and general ease of mind re bumps when compared to the 700c x 25 mm setup I had the motor on up to about 2 wks ago.This bike (with the wide tires) might be 1 or 2 mph slower but I can still cruise at 27-28 mph which is fast enough for me. Still a few things to sort out on it, I'll post a more complete description in a week or 2.

I had my 1st flat last week, but it wasn't the tire - the tube failed. I keep mine @ 25 to 30 psi, not the best for rolling resistence but for smoother ride. I do like them, and they are quiet.

I've got almost 6000 miles on my serfas drifters, but would like a bit cushier and quieter ride. How long do big apples last?

BA 26x2.35 - love them!! Quiet, cushy, grippy. Run them @ 30-40PSI.

Mine are 9,00km old: front is fine, rear is quite worn. 1 puncture so far - a long sharp piece of glass.

Similar tried: Marathon Plus and Hookworms, prefer BAs - they roll a bit better.

I've got 2 16" Big Apples on the front of my trike in KMX wheels. I run 50 lbs but the trike has pretty good suspension. Tires are very quiet in that I can't hear them over the chain/pulley noise. It too is quite low. They do wear out fairly quickly but so do any tires on the front end of a heavy trike.
otherDoc

I've got about 700 miles on a set of 2" - 26" dia. Big Apples. I like the look, feel and dry pavement performance but not impressed with wet weather grip. While the compound seems to be fairly soft which should translate to good wet performance they don't have very deep rain grooves. And what grooves they do have appears to be diminishing rapidly on my powered wheel so I would estimate wear rate = fairly rapid.

I do like 'em, especially the ride and precision construction. The reflector strip is nice touch too. Maybe for a beach cruiser that sees only occasional rain duty but I think I'll try something else when the time comes to freshen rubber on my daily commuter?

50 PSI front/rear...

I have all these tires and here's my take:

26x2.0 big apples - good, light, and fast for a lighter bike/rider combo
26x2.35 big apples - best ride for the commuter and my favorite, fast and cushy, but not sloppy. cons: may have fit issues with narrow frames or fenders due to the wide and tall profile
29x2.35 big apples- holy cow, it's like suspension, but with available roadie hardness when needed. wide and tall pointed profile keeps down the rolling resistance, but still gives a superior ride. it can take a bit of fiddling to find the pressure that gives you the best ride for speed or the best cushion. 40 psi for the cushy neighborhood ride or 60+ for high speed (but the ride will suffer). I liked this tire on my 96'er.

26x2.5 Hookworms- they are just the beasts man. are you harsh to the bike? riding 30+mph? have a heavy load? these are the ones, accept nothing less, except a big apple. I have added an inner kevlar strip to mine for even more protection. cons: a bit heavy and not as nimble feeling on the road like the big apple.

it's hard to go wrong with any of them! :D

Back