Shadow Ebike: the First Wireless ebike

Lock

100 MW
The Shadow electric bicycle (ebike) is the first wireless ebike featuring wireless brakes, wireless throttle and a wireless pedal assist system, with an integrated battery and motor design powered by proprietary, patent pending Daymak Driveâ„¢ technology.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/03/prweb3711064.htm

gI_0_shadow.jpg

Toronto, Canada (PRWEB) March 12, 2010 -- Ms.Yeg Baiocchi, Daymak Inc’s CEO, is pleased to announce the launch of Daymak’s new electric bike, “The Shadow”, the first wireless eBike. The Shadow is powered by the proprietary, patent pending Daymak Drive, developed in Canada by Daymak Inc.

Shadow Ebike
“Having sold ebikes for over seven years, we’ve identified two key challenges that stood in the way of optimal reliability and ease of use. The Daymak Drive-powered Shadow eBike resolves both issues,” says Michael Chow, Vice President of Daymak Inc. “With the wireless features and the integrated battery design the Shadow ebike is the most advanced ebike in the market today.” Chow continues. First, most eBikes today have over 30 feet of wires dangling on the bicycles, which if damaged or cut will affect the ebike’s functioning. By removing all outer wires from the frame, the Shadow ebike resolves this challenge—making it exceptionally durable and easy to use. The Shadow ebike also has wireless support for the brakes, throttle and pedal system.

Second, many ebikes today feature imported controllers which are not stable when subject to weight over 170 pounds on steeper inclines. The proprietary, patent pending Daymak Drive, developed and designed in Canada, addresses this challenge by producing more torque and faster speeds with greater energy efficiency.

Shadow ebikes will feature up to 1,000w power, lithium batteries, regenerative brakes and an integrated rim design. The battery also acts as a generator, enabling riders to use it as a power source for their iPhones, Blackberries or notebooks. All the main components are designed in Canada by Daymak Inc. Final assembly and customization options will be completed in Toronto, classifying the product as “Made in Canada”.

The market for ebikes is growing rapidly. Global production is approx. 27 million units and is expected to grow to 40 million units by 2011. “With the Shadow ebike and the proprietary, patent pending Daymak Drive, we are ready to enter the global market,” Baiocchi says. “We’ve already received expressions of interest from around the world. This product is green and, as gas prices keep rising, it makes a great alternative at an affordable price”. The Shadow ebike will be available in June and is priced starting at $1,499.

Shadowbike site here:
http://www.shadowebike.com/

gal_03.jpg

Tks
Lock

Wow, batteries that are generators too!!

Looks clean as can be. Wonder what would happen if somebody blasted some EMF noise next to the bike.

johnrobholmes said:
Wow, batteries that are generators too!!

Hehe... poorly worded at best. I'm pretty suspicious actually. Daymak has been selling the worst examples of cheap Yongkang product for years. That pic of the inside of the wheel looks like a dogs breakfast... stuff glued together... Duct tape quality (w/apologies to all the duct tape fans here.) A 36V-120V inverter w/plug that looks indoor "quality"? Is that thing live all the time or switched (thinking puddles and slush here.) Pretty sure local regs spec two brakes, one on each wheel and I'm not sure this bike has this... They only mention the regen brake... not even a coaster brake mentioned?

AFAIK the full wheel covers aren't great for windy daze either...

...and as always, where do ya stow the groceries or gal pal?

Lock

Wow.

Most retarded e-bike design ever award?

I would rate it as even more retarded than the E-bike design on this board featuring a number of generators being driven by it's own motor. Not because the design is worse, but because they should know better.

Also, WTH is with putting the USB and AC power plugs in the wheel? Means you can only power your devices from it when you are stopped. :roll:

If I am stopped I am sure not gonna leave some other device sitting out in the open (presumably mounted on my bars, maybe sitting on my saddle) plugged in to my wheel while I'm not there so it can charge. I'd be doing it while riding instead, with an outlet on my bars.

Can you imagine the rotating weight of that wheel? Hope they didn't do that in the front wheel, too, because I'd just *love* to have all that spinning mass to keep me from turning easily. :roll:

Also, it doesn't look well-balanced, and if they set it up that way I do not think they'd be able to use spoked wheels. So much for a small part of the suspension of a road bike. They are also going to be significantly heavier with that plate in there like that, I'd guess.

The wheel covers might be an issue on a windy day, but realistically at least that side pressure would be down low, rather than against all the stuff an ebike usually has in the triangle, on the frame, or on a high rear rack. I don't think it'd make all that much difference, relatively. OTOH, it will make some difference to how aerodynamic the bike is at higher speeds, assuming it is sold in places where ebike speeds are not severely limited, where it won't make enough difference to be worth the extra weight of the covers. Plus, they stick out from the rims what look like half an inch at the point they meet the rims, and that groove probably doesn't help aero any. Might even cause noise.

With heavier wheels, they'll be harder to start rotating (more startup current) and harder to stop (more braking ability needed).

Regarding their statement of "Second, many ebikes today feature imported controllers which are not stable when subject to weight over 170 pounds on steeper inclines. The proprietary, patent pending Daymak Drive, developed and designed in Canada, addresses this challenge by producing more torque and faster speeds with greater energy efficiency." is rather pointless, as there are lots of places where you couldn't *use* faster speeds legally anyway. Plus, it's hard to know what they mean by "stable"--I assume they mean "they blow up". ;)

Nice knobby tires for a bumpy ride, and probably low-pressure for more rolling resistance.

Can't tell for sure, but looks like a single-speed pedal drive, meaning you can't assist the motor except in a very narrow range.

They have NO reflectors or lights on it at all (except for the pedals), making it illegal to ride in a lot of places (including here in AZ).

If they are using the very common "free" band of 2.4Ghz for the wireless throttle control, that's going to be great for all those places that have lots of devices on that band, around the city. I hope they're digitally encoding it so that no throttle can possibly ever accidentally control the one on the bike riding next to them. ;)

Oh, there's some fun waiting to happen. Find two of these bikes on the same lockup rack somewhere, and swap their throttles. :lol:

Ok, I could go on, but it's not worth it.

Mmm...so resting on bearings around the hubmotor. Makes sense I guess. I think that's what NeoDymics proposed wheel would've done (the version they've yet to make, vs the one they did as a front hub/fork/etc.).

That takes away a couple of possible objections to the design, but adds more weight with those bearings, plus having to make the wheel structurally sound yet hollow in the center. Maybe they still use spokes but hey are on wider rims and enter the rim right at the edge of the inner face, rather than closer to the center?

Its almost like these folks are trying to give ebikes a shitty name.

Even if the stuff in the wheels isn't rotating they've completely ignored common sense by maximizing unsprung weight with, of all things, the more sensitive electrical components and thats just handling ,how will the stuff in the wheel deal with potholes and shockloads ?

what kind of trouble will one have to deal with to fix a flat roadside ?

and top it off with wireless brakes ? hopefully they aint running Microsoft software for that.

Its a cool looking bike. Price is fair. I just doubt the 110km claim. Couldnt this be false and misleading advertisement?

What is the battery ah?

Cool Looking bike .. for 1984. Do they give you a matching set of leg warmers and sweat bands?

Wireless brakes would be a safty hazard, unless they use a coaster brake?

USB port and 110 electric outlet? But no expresso dispenser?

How are the outlets accessable if they don't rotate with the wheel?

I had a charming 1963 Ford Falcon for a few years. It had one brake master cylinder piston for all 4 wheels. Since each wheel had a short rubber hose between the frame steel-tubing and the wheel (for the brake fluid to follow the suspension) it was not uncommon for an older cars brake-hose to spring a leak. Having one piston and reservoir meant you would lose all 4 brakes at the same time.

A few years later, one of the few things the DOT did that I didn't hate, is mandate all cars must have two brake pistons and reservoirs, so you might lose the front brake or the back brakes (due to a leak),...but not both at the same time.

I immediately retro-fitted the Falcon with a two-piston master cylinder, and later swapped in front disc brakes.

If you're riding near 4,000-lb cars being piloted by foolish people who text-while-driving, having two brakes and a throttle that work reliably are VITAL to an E-bicyclists survival. I do like the wireless internet in my home, but when theres a "glitch" with the signal or system,...I am in no danger of being struck by a car. I will only use brakes with cables and a throttle with a wired signal.

Pass, definitely pass..... A 110 outlet??? So you can dry your hair on the way to work? I like that they are trying to appeal to more than a niche market, but that thing is just silly.

Back