Simple 911 phone for old people

marty

1 MW
For old people, children, or mentally disabled people who can't figure out how to dial a phone.

Big red button calls 911. Any phone with no service can still call 911. Big red button connects to cell phone with Bluetooth and triggers phone to call 911.

Does this exist? Where to buy? Any other simple 911 calling ideas?

This one looks easy to use.
$80
61CrIr71sAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
4G VoLTE, Work great with SpeedTalk Mobile which running on T-Mobile Network. (Package Included a SpeedTak SIM Card, Plans starting at 5USD a month)

$5 a month? Not seeing that price here:

Here:
$15 a month
Unlimited Talk
Unlimited Text
Don't know if the SIM Card is compatible?

The pendant appears to work the same as a cell phone that isn't registered to a network. It will connect to the nearest cell tower and route to the closest answering point. The answering center will not have much information provided to them such as exact location or a caller name. The individual needs to understand this and be prepared to give information that is requested. 911 centers will not be able to return a call to the device. The same method can be used with a cell phone that is no longer in use...even if it is not registered to a network or mobile service provider it will still connect to 911 as long as a tower is within distance. This information applies to operation in USA only.

Last edited:
Got a smart phone with no service. BLU View 2. Low cost phone. Installed this app.
Now can make and receive calls for free as long as phone is in a place that has Wi-Fi.

Tried to simplify phone by removing all the apps except the phone button. Then I decided that this thing can do more then make calls. Got one screen with the phone icon in the center. At the top is a clock and the weather. At the bottom is calculator, calendar, camera, Google, and the Text Free icon.

Unable to remove the news screen on the left. Did remove all the news.

Quickest way to call 911 is to hold power button for a second. See 3 buttons. Emergency, Power off, and Restart. Press Emergency button. See a phone screen. Dial 911. Touch phone button at bottom. I tested it. Something funny must have happened at 911 place because operator laughed for a second then she said "What's your emergency?". I said I am testing the phone.

To make a call with Text Free. Well that is quite a project for old people, children, or the mentally disabled. Here are the instructions.

If phone is black? Press power button. [Lower button on the left]

Press phone button. See list of contacts. This stupid phone would not let me add 911 as a contact. Used local police number for 911 contact. Concerned that police need to see phones location. Click Location / App access to location / Chrome, Phone, and TextFree are Allowed only while in use. Will call the local police and ask if they can see my location.

Lets continue - Press contact for who you want to call.

Press Call button.
Text Free app opens. [Congratulations! your new balance is 0 minutes] pop up opens. Click OK. Touch round phone button. Says calling. NOW WE TALKING!

Now you will see adds. New car, chicken sandwich, or some TikTok nonsense. Click X in upper right corner to remove.

Note - To text. Don't press phone button. Go straight to Text Free app.

For the record here is the voice mail greeting I made.

Hi you have reached Xxxxxx's new smart phone. Please leave a message and we will try to figure out how to retrieve it. Thank you.

If something goes very wrong. Think World War 3. I made a second message.

We are out back in the bomb shelter. Will call you tomorrow if there is one.

The answering center will not have much information provided to them such as exact location or a caller name.
I have a flip phone. When I have called 911, the phone gives me a message that some location information is being transmitted because I called a emergency number.

In case I forget the number for 911 or I don't have time to dial. I set up speed dial with the 9 button.

I know nothing about this.

Get a Google Voice phone number. Think it's free. See Android, iOS, and Web options. Thinking Web would be correct option because I Have no phone at this point.

Buy this:
OBi300
OBi300-front-1.png
OBi300_Diagram-1.png

Buy this:
WiFi Adapter
obi-wifi-adapter-2-1.png
Use a old corded house phone. Or buy a new cool looking PINK one.
61krvDBsImL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71CDfh8NK+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Not finding any written good set up instructions. Here is a video.
How to Set-up Google Voice on Your OBi - New
I don't do well with watching videos. Here is transcript:

how to configure Google Voice with the
OB this tutorial will show you how to
setup your OB device and configure it
with Google Voice you will need a phone
router with internet access Ethernet
cable you'll be device and the Obie's
power adapter step 1 connect the power
adapter to the Oki
step to connect your phone to the obese
phone port
step 3 connect one end of the ethernet
cable to the routers land port
step four connect the other end of the
ethernet cable to the Obi's Internet
pick up the phone connected to the Obi
and dial star star 9 followed by nine
twos to perform the echo test next go to
Obito comm and sign up your new Obi talk
account the easiest way is to sign up
for Obi talk by selecting sign in Google
if you wish to use a non gmail email
simply select create a new account when
you first log in Obi talk you'll be
prompted to add your device click yes to
add your device Tobey Tom when you're
ready select next and dial star star 5
plus the number on your screen once you
have read through the Google Terms of
Service select accept and continue with
your Google Voice setup for seven digit
dialing into your local area code here a
Google window will appear where you will
be prompted to select accept to allow
there will be permission to use Google
for calls please allow approximately two
minutes for Google Voice to be
configured on your device the status
will show configuring Google Voice
status will show connected once setup is
complete

I don't do well with no sentences, periods and capitals. Will try to fix all this.

How to configure Google Voice with the OB this tutorial will show you how to setup your OB device and configure it with Google Voice. You will need a phone router with internet access Ethernet cable you'll be device and the Obie's power adapter.

Step 1 connect the power adapter to the Oki
Step 2 connect your phone to the obese phone port
Step 3 connect one end of the ethernet cable to the routers land port
Step 4 connect the other end of the ethernet cable to the Obi's Internet

Pick up the phone connected to the Obi and dial star star 9 followed by nine twos to perform the echo test. Next go to Obito comm and sign up your new Obi talk account the easiest way is to sign up for Obi talk by selecting sign in Google. If you wish to use a non gmail email simply select create a new account when you first log in Obi talk you'll be prompted to add your device click yes to add your device Tobey Tom when you're ready select next and dial star star 5 plus the number on your screen. Once you have read through the Google Terms of Service select accept and continue with your Google Voice setup for seven digit dialing into your local area code here a Google window will appear where you will be prompted to select accept to allow. There will be permission to use Google for calls. Please allow approximately two minutes for Google Voice to be configured on your device. The status will show configuring Google Voice status will show connected once setup is complete.

Sorry about the poor transcript translation.

Link to - Polycom OBi300 Installation and Configuration Guide.

Hope this all works? Any better options for a free house phone?

Attachments

• OBi300-front-1.webp
    307.4 KB · Views: 1
  • OBi300_Diagram-1.webp
    273.9 KB · Views: 1
  • obi-wifi-adapter-2-1.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Not seeing any instructions on how to connect the OBI WiFi Adapter to the OBi300 gadget. Hopefully it will come with paper instructions.

PDF file I found.
OBi300 Adapter Setup Guide

Attachments

• OBi300 Adapter Setup Guide.pdf
    573.9 KB · Views: 2
Hey Marty, have you forgotten that this is an ebike forum?
Geee... I thought this was a telephone forum? Many telephones ago, a real telephone guy. [Picture the guy who tries to fix all the phones in a school, hospital, or office building.] He told me to go here:

I had a dream. Woke up one morning and I had no more monthly bills. Internet came from the neighbor. Telephone ran off the internet. Electricity came from the sun or wind. Heat and hot water came from the ground or the sun. Still learning about that. TV signal comes from a antenna or the internet. Still learning about that. Food? We can grow or find that.

After I had this dream. I bought a domain name.

Now I have one more monthly bill. About $10 a year for the domain name. Works out to about $1 a month. Think I should seek psychiatric help?

Nic,
I put a post here about a different dream I had and it disappeared. Do you know what happened to that post? After I spend time typing something, please don't delete it.

Lets get back to a Simple 911 phone for old people

Reason I could not find instructions for the OBi WiFi Adapter is the instructions are printed on the box. People who work at Amazon should write some instructions for placing stickers on boxes. Instructions would say "Don't put stickers on instructions."

Scanned the box. Made a PNG image file. Here it is for the world to see.
OBi_WiFi_Adapter.png

Last edited:
This is not easy.

Set up a Google Voice number. DONE

Set up OBiTalk account using Google account. DONE

Connect Ethernet cable, and phone to the OBi300 box. DONE

Green power light is flashing. Internet light is flickering. Phone light lights up when I pick up phone. Hear dial tone. Not constant but almost constant. Beeeeeeeeeeeep, Beep, Beep, Beeeeeeeeeeeep, and repeats.

Go to obitalk.com try to Add an OBi Device. Do **9-222-222-222 echo test. That works.

Click next. Get to Add an OBi Device. Dial dial **5 xxxx, xxxx is a 4 digit code. Hear "There is no call route available to complete your call"

Try this - Go into Verizon router settings.

Login to your Fios router at 192.168.1.1. The default router's username and password can be found on the router's label. Select:
Firewall Settings > DMZ Host > enter the IP address of your device in the DMZ Host IP Address field and click
Your device is now in the DMZ and more accessible to the internet.

new-host-5 is the OBi300 box. Make DMZ setting change successfully.

What is DMZ? Please read:

Still don't work. :( "There is no call route available to complete your call"

Also tried the OBi WiFi Adapter. Blue light on OBi WiFi Adapter is flashing. Used wife's laptop to connect to OBiWiFi_Setup.

Type 192.168.10.1/wifi

Page opens. It says:
Web Server Admin Password
Old Password
New Password
Confirm New Password

There are 3 boxes to fill in. Tried admin as per instructions. Goes to a page with the address:

192.168.10.1/webpwdconfig.htm

The requested URL was not found!

I give up. Spent all day with this. Today is Sunday. I hate chat. Looks like Poly People gave up on support and hired HP. Entered OBi300 Serial Number. See:

Speak to an agent
Available now
For Contract support, 24/7 English support is available. For Standard support, our hours are Monday – Friday from 5am till 5pm PST (excluding public holidays).
1 888 248 4143

I am tired. Will try calling tomorrow Monday.

Last edited:
:(

Using Google Voice With OBiTALK Devices After 12/18/2023​

119 Views2 Upvotes
Posted 12/16/2023

ALL of the OBi hardware ATAs and IP phones that work today with consumer Google Voice have been discontinued by their manufacturer (HP/Poly).

HP/Poly will shut down the ability to add, remove, configure or otherwise manage Google Voice service with consumer OBi devices on their provisioning system (OBiTALK) on 12/18/2023.

There are no, and will be no, other devices, from any manufacturer, that work/will work directly with consumer Google Voice.

Specific to Consumer Google Voice:

Between now and 12/18/2023, consumer OBi devices that do work now, will continue to work. After 12/18/2023, they may continue to work for some undetermined time, but none of those existing devices will be able to be added, changed, or deleted, since OBiTALK provisioning of Google Voice will be dead. If devices are already configured to use Google Voice, no further interaction with the OBiTALK portal is needed, and Google has no plans at this time to shut down the infrastructure connecting these devices.

NONE of the other Poly VoIP products (nor other vendors' VoIP products, for that matter) will work with consumer Google Voice, and there are no plans to change this situation.
Devices that now work with, or will in the future work with, the business version of Google Voice for Google Workspace customers, will NOT work with consumer Google Voice.

And, finally, separate from the information above, since Google Voice can forward calls to US telephone numbers you "link" to your Google Voice phone number, you can today, and will in the future, be able to forward your Google Voice number to whatever sort of 48-state US landline, mobile and/or VoIP phone numbers you wish. If you want to use a phone number on an open-credential SIP ITSP, such as Callcentric, voip.ms, etc, then you can either use your existing ATAs or IP phones, or purchase new ones, provisioned on those ITSPs’ servers.

Discontinued, End Of Support products, no longer sold as new (do not buy these):
  • OBi 100, 110
  • OBi 200, 202, 212
  • OBi 300, 302. 312
  • OBi 1000 series IP phones
  • OBi 2000 series IP phones (e.g. 2162, 2182)
Poly VoIP hardware products that work with the business version of Google Voice for Google Workspace (and do NOT work for the consumer version of Google Voice):
  • Poly Edge B series IP phones
  • Poly VVX x50 series IP phones with OBiTALK Edition firmware
  • Poly 400, 402 ATAs
Recapping the information above:
  • No, you cannot use the Workspace-compatible VoIP hardware with consumer Google Voice.
  • No, you cannot use the discontinued consumer VoIP hardware with Workspace Google Voice.
  • No, there will be no replacement or follow-on VoIP hardware products that will work with consumer Google Voice
  • Yes, if you currently have one or more of the discontinued hardware products already working on your Google Voice configuration, then it will continue to work with no action required by you*, after December 2023, until such time that conditions may change, resulting in the end of such use.
  • * Optionally, you can use the device's local web server user interface (key in ***1 from the handset to obtain its IP address. The default user ID and password are "admin"), go to System Management-->Auto Provisioning-->Device Update, and change "OBiTalk Provisioning" to "Disabled" and tap "Submit". Do NOT delete the device from the OBiTALK portal, unless you do this first, or the portal will factory-reset your device upon removal.

Was not typing 192.168.1.1xx number into address bar correctly. Type 192.168.1.1 and see the page to get into the Verizon router. Add two digits and I can see all about the OBi300 which is connected to router with a Ethernet cable.

Could make a screen shot but don't think I should be sharing all those numbers. Here are the things that I can see and change.

+ Status
System Status
Call Status
Call History
PHONE Port Status

+ System Management
WAN Settings
Auto Provisioning
Device Admin
Device Update

Last edited:
OBi300 gismo is working. OK was working. Unplugged as a test. Takes a while to get solid green power light. Now it's working.

OBi WiFi Adapter is working.

Got a constant dial tone on the pink simple phone.

Had to contact OBi Support People. They some how came into my house through the internet, into the router and into OBi300 through a Ethernet cable. Hope they didn't tap into my computer and my bank account while they were in my house. :confused:

OBi Support People added the OBi300 box to my account at:

Next step is to connect my simple pink phone to the world of telephones, need a phone number. Think Google Voice is no more. As per Mr Bluescat
There are no, and will be no, other devices, from any manufacturer, that work/will work directly with consumer Google Voice.
Assume Mr Bluescat is a he? If he is a she or a he/she. Not a problem.

Next step to choose a VoIP Service Provider.

VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol

Last edited:
I AM SO EXCITED I AM TYPING IN CAPITALS!

PINK
phone is working :):):):):):)

OBi300 box, OBi WiFi Adapter, and PINK phone all hooked up and working. Received test call. Made test call. Left a message.

Default voice mail is automated female.

Change to [Text to Speech]

Hi you have reached Xxxxxx. Please leave a message and we will try to figure out how to retrieve it. Thank you.

Anveo has all kinds of voice mail options. Hire a team of audio experts and upload a sound file?

Not figuring out how to check, delete, voicemail messages from the phone? Can do it on the Anveo web site. Might be time to ask a question? Do get a email when someone leaves a voicemail. OK see answer to my question. Click on [RECORD NEW MESSAGE USING PHONE] button.

Anveo web site has way more then what is needed for a simple house phone. Think - Music on Hold.

Made 911 test call. It works. Got a email. [911 call alert notification]

Cost
Hardware from:
Less then $100

Monthly fees from:
Mandatory 911
Price: $1.5 per month
Setup fee: $1

Phone Number
$2.00 /month
$3.00 one time setup fee

So $3.50 a month.

Can't wait to get a junk call :( So far phone has not rung. I enjoy being more annoying then the junk call people who call me. Got a antique bicycle horn that is missing the rubber bulb. It's really loud when I blow in it with my mouth. Make LOUD honk noise at junk call people.

Picture of similar horn.
41pyWp+r1OL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I got to live my life over. Would get a better easier to remember phone number. Where I live 716 is the area code to have. Played around with list of 716 phone numbers with Notepad text file and spread sheet. Find / Replace and use Find to look for a number like this:
716-000-0000
or
716-123-4567

Copy 5000 phone numbers. Sorry will not tell what number I chose. Hope this 5000 number copy does not break the forum.:confused:
203-1459
203-1461
203-1466
Delete 4994 numbers.
968-8814
968-8815
968-8816

Last edited:
Cord is way too short. Phone falls off table when ya pull on coiled handset cord. Bought longer pink cord.

Phone Cord for Landline Phone – Tangle-Free, Handset Curly Telephones Land Line Cord – Easy to Use + Excellent Sound Quality – Phone Cords for Home or Office (15ft Long) Color: Ladies Pink

Connector Type RJ11

"Simple" this is not.

Not figuring out how to check voicemail with the phone. It's easy with a computer and the Anveo web site. Made a support ticket.

"How to listen to voicemail messages using the phone?"

Waiting for a reply.

Playing with settings on the Anveo web site is about as simple as a 1000 phones in a office building. Can see what I am doing wrong.

You can access voicemail by dialing *99 from your SIP phone or by calling your phone number (must be configured with Goodies call control). Simply provide voicemail box number and password.

Note that you need to use Goodies Call Flow item in your Call Flow.

To help my brain here is a list of a few LETTERS and their meaning.

VoIP Voice Over Internet Protocol

SIP provider (Session Initiation Protocol) is any telecommunications company which provides SIP trunking to customers, usually businesses.

PBX Private Branch Exchange System

IVR Interactive Voice Response [That's it! How ya listen to voicemail messages with the phone]

Call Flow??????
IVR Call Flow is the most powerful feature of our Voice 2.0 Communications Platform.
IVR Call Flow builder allows you to easily configure Call Flows for your Phone Number, ContactME button and Outbound IVR Call Campaign using web based Drag'n'Drop builder.
Using IVR Call Flows screen you can create new and manage your existing Call Flows.
This screen is divided into 2 sections: 1) My IVR Call Flows and 2) Popular IVR Call Flow templates
There 2 ways to create a new IVR Call Flow: 1) By clicking on Create New IVR Flow button to start from blank template. or 2) By clicking on Create From Template (Create From Tmpl) button to create an editable copy of the template that you can modify to meet your needs.
Each template has a name and a description so you can find a template that fits your needs best.
You can always Edit, Delete or Make a copy of your existing IVR Call Flow.
Every Call Flow has a Status that describes whether the Call Flow has errors and whether it is functional or not. If Call Flow has ERROR status please open Call Flow Builder by clicking EDIT button and correct errors.

IVR Call Flow can be used with ContactME button, Outbound IVR Call Campaign or Phone Number.
"Simple" this is not.

Hey Marty, have you forgotten that this is an ebike forum?
Think Nicobie might be right? Just made a post at obitalk.com/forum

OBi300 + Anveo, Check voicemail, *99

If anyone would like to learn about Digit Maps? Here is a link to a PDF file with more then ya ever want to know about Digit Maps. 19 pages of fun reading!

This seems a bit like writing computer code. I try to stay away from that.

Last edited:
Back