Simple scooter conversion ideas - practical?

helpfulguy

10 W
Hello guys! =)

I have a couple of cool ideas for simple scooter conversions - simple and obtainable being the key here. If any of these ideas are easy and cheap, it would be a good starting point for others to build their projects - so I try to start a discussion to either scrap the ideas or improve them.

Main goals:
  • Fun to play with - ie powerwheelie 'able or close to it. Acceleration from stand still must be better than current ICE engine (6hp, 8Nm and 130dBA at 0kph)
  • Simple engineering (no cnc access, in emergency welding is possible (~$100/hour charge, mind the budget)
  • $1500 budget excluding donor bike
  • Top speed minimum ~80kph
  • Built upon a 50cc class donor
  • 40km minimum range
  • A key for "ignition"/switch for parking down town without kids killing themselves giving throttle

I chose a scooter as a donator since it is easy - it have disc brakes, sturdy frame, sturdy forks and are fully suspended, as opposed to older mopeds which are way cooler though. If you can prove me wrong, I would love you to. Someone built a frickin hot electric derbi senda/aprilia rs50 here on es, but that guy got mad engineering skills.
I chose NOT a hub wheel, since they seem to suck at takeoff and aim at high speed top speed instead - opposite to what I want. Again, I wish you could prove me wrong.

Alternative ONE :
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CweZ4K1iZQ0
I know the 80100 is not very suitable for traction applications power-wise (cons), but it is very cheap, small and light, and high rpm (pros).
I have seen a couple of scooter builds where they put an 80100 straight on the rear gearbox/clutch axle, driving the wheel through the gearbox without any other drivetrain.
The reduction is high with 12:1 so the motors high rpm would make it a good contender speed-wise, and also would nullify some of the low torque. Rear wheel is 130/60-13, giving 178cm circumference or 56cm diameter.

I would need ~9000 rpm for 80kph (190kv with 48v or standard 130kv version for 72v). The gears can be changed to LOWER gear ratio (higher top speed) but not higher, if needed. Cost doing so is about $100. Lowest reduction is somewhere in the region 6:1 to 8:1.

Question is:
Would it give enough torque/pull from start?
I am hesitant since the guy in the video isnt exactly doing burnouts in the demo (boring demo). However this guy does - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjey39ybWtE - though he is in gravel and uses the CVT which he states in a comment was a mistake, it could not take the abuse.

MAYBE upgrade the idea to a 12080/12090 motor would fit in the same manner, straight to the gearbox?

Or else...

Alternative TWO:
Regular mid drive, but keep engine block/swing arm of simplicity. Drive the rear gear axle using a sprocket/pulley to the front of the engine block, and mount a motor here. Here I could use a more powerful also cheap motor, example a cheap motenergy or 12090 motor. Then I can gear it however I want, which is needed since motenergy is max 5000 rpm and I need about 9000 rpm at rear.
Image here (MSPaint skills. The stars are the pulleys/sprockets)

Would be cool to put a mid monster from john here, if it would be feasible or even advisable above the others. Drivetrain seem to be very troublesome to build, and a whole world in itself, with tension, minimal curvature of pulleys, belt strength etc - this is my biggest con with this idea.

Battery:
Goal:
  • About 20-40km range or more
  • Within total budget
  • Removable from vehicle
  • Does not burn down my house
Lifepo4 ~1000kwh would cost about $500 in a complete pack i guess. Would love to get doctorbass cells but I lack skills to assemble them into a pack, and I find no one to do it for a decent price, making a brand new pack the same price or even lower price.
Anything that doesnt burn down my house (rented flat, can only charge indoors). Preferably lifepo4 but lipo maybe if charged in a solid steel box, if it burns inside of it, at least it does not burn down the house.

Is it possible for regular people like myself, to get an ev, at this level of simplicity?

Not for that budget. Your budget is for medium power bicycle conversion. My conversion, more like upgrade cost 2600usd and that's with used parts, and my workshop with TIG's, MIG's, band saw, mill etc.

your budget is doable and your required performance is doable but be prepared for a lot of tinkering to get there..

this was my attempt http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17576

it never got completed ( as detailed in the thread ) but it did perform well and with a lot of scope for even more performance.

the cost for the parts was around $300 + battery's + donor bike there was a small amount of engineering that needed to be done that needs to be quite accurate for reliable/efficient operation..

My Honda conversion has a crystalyte 5404 hub motor which now is handling 11kW but tops out at about 39mph on level ground with 30s lips. Lots of acceleration but low top speed. It just depends on the motor.

It's not so easy to stuff enough batteries for your range into a small scooter.

The safe throttle requirement is also challenging. Mine has plenty of power to wheelie but not precise enough throttle control.

Price: motor $350 from endless sphere classified, controller $350 from Lyen, batteries $600 for 1.7kWh from hobby king and those negligible parts $350

The scooter has been reliable for 2000 miles so far.

Back