Slower than low

E-HP

10 GW
A couple of weeks ago, before the big smoke clouds rolled in to cover the entire state, I went for leisurely Sunday ride. I rode down to a soft taco place, that's pretty good and where I can order from the door and watch my bike. The place was packed, much to my disappointment, so I kept riding.

I ended up behind a couple, riding their factory ebikes. They were nice bikes, not the cheap AliExpress kind. Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I've observed that a percentage of factory ebike owners seem to have an attitude, and can be a little obnoxious. This couple fit description, especially the lady. Their bikes were equipped with electric horns, and she was using hers liberally. Not just a beep, but laying on every time they approached a pedestrian on the on the path or crosswalk. "To your left, to your left" BEEEEEEEEEEP, "To your left" BEEEEP. It was truly obnoxious and everyone was annoyed. :evil:

I tried to distance myself a bit, so as not to be associated with them, but they were going my way, so I just laid back. We approached the Richmond/San Rafael bridge, that goes from my side of the bay the Marin County. It has a decent incline, not too steep, but long and grueling if you're on a pedal bike. I waited until we were on the steeper part of the incline and then rang my bell one time, then started to pass on their left. They were shocked that somebody was passing them, and immediately started to pedal harder to try and keep up. The lady faded fast, but the guy was doing admirable job attempting to keep up. Still, I was just walking away from his bike and he was about 1/4 mile behind by the time I reached the apex.

All the time I was riding, I was thinking "why am I not just barreling up the hill?". The motor felt weak, as though I was hitting the LVC on my CA3, and although my bike was walking away from his, he really should have been a dot in my mirror. I pulled over at the top to try to figure out what was going on. I had only ridden about 25 miles by then, so it shouldn't be a low battery. Then I realized that earlier I had been messing with my throttle ramp rates and tuning, and had set the three position switch to low. DOH !!!! Limited to 800W, arghh. About 10 minutes later, the couple finally approached where I had stopped at the top of the bridge. You could see the lady wasn't happy when she passed...but surprise, no beeping. LOL. I guess realizing that you're slower than "low" provides just the right attitude adjustment. :p

I hit 34 mph on the way home with field weakening on high, on a half spent battery, so I had plenty of power. Of course, if I would have passed at that speed, they might have just thrown those bikes off the bridge, and we wouldn't want that. :eek:

stock photo
rsr.jpg

E-HP » Sep 15 2020 4:56pm
had set the three position switch to low. DOH !!!! Limited to 800W, arghh. About 10 minutes later, the couple finally approached where I had stopped at the top of the bridge. You could see the lady wasn't happy when she passed...but surprise, no beeping. LOL. I guess realizing that you're slower than "low" provides just the right attitude adjustment. :p

I hit 34 mph on the way home with field weakening on high, on a half spent battery, so I had plenty of power. Of course, if I would have passed at that speed, they might have just thrown those bikes off the bridge, and we wouldn't want that. :eek:

they might have just thrown those bikes off the bridge. :shock:
I find this funny to no end, you made my day.

I try to down play my trike, you can really play with people if they don't realize the power you have and just use enough to best them.

You should have taken your feet off the pedals and stuck them in the air as you passed them on the hill, be sure to wink at them when you pass.

800W is arghh indeed but no one would miss anything if they threw their store bought ebikes off the bridge, just be sure to get their batteries first :wink:

E-HP said:
I waited until we were on the steeper part of the incline and then rang my bell one time, then started to pass on their left. They were shocked that somebody was passing them, and immediately started to pedal harder to try and keep up. The lady faded fast, but the guy was doing admirable job attempting to keep up. Still, I was just walking away from his bike and he was about 1/4 mile behind by the time I reached the apex.

All the time I was riding, I was thinking "why am I not just barreling up the hill?". The motor felt weak, as though I was hitting the LVC on my CA3, and although my bike was walking away from his, he really should have been a dot in my mirror. I pulled over at the top to try to figure out what was going on. I had only ridden about 25 miles by then, so it shouldn't be a low battery. Then I realized that earlier I had been messing with my throttle ramp rates and tuning, and had set the three position switch to low. DOH !!!! Limited to 800W, arghh. About 10 minutes later, the couple finally approached where I had stopped at the top of the bridge. You could see the lady wasn't happy when she passed...but surprise, no beeping. LOL. I guess realizing that you're slower than "low" provides just the right attitude adjustment. :p

stock photo
rsr.jpg

I rode a 250w commercially made ebike that left my knees aching. It's not the lack of power that was the problem but rather the lack of torque supplied to the wheel. Going slower with more forceful assist was what I could have used on my ride.

markz said:
You should have taken your feet off the pedals and stuck them in the air as you passed them on the hill, be sure to wink at them when you pass.

800W is arghh indeed but no one would miss anything if they threw their store bought ebikes off the bridge, just be sure to get their batteries first :wink:

LOL, I had another encounter sort of like this again today. A guy pulled up on a factory ebike and noticed my battery. He acted like he wanted to race or something, taking faster than he had arrived. I just trailed behind him for a ways. Pretty sure he was Class 3. At one point the trail splits off into two parallel trails, so when he went right, I went left. He saw me and started pedaling faster. I was almost along side, when I realized I was in low again! This time, I put it in high, no mercy, and blew past going about
10-15mph faster than he was. I was able to resist kicking my feet into the air, but decided to stop pedaling while passing. Pretty dumb going that fast on that skinny trail, but it matched my big dumb grin. I'm guessing Class 3 owners aren't used to being passed.

What Class are you? I know you need to make one up. 8)
I clam to be in Class 3. Can peddle at 28 mph (no I'm not helping) and throttle only my trike will do 20 mph class 3.

ZeroEm said:
What Class are you? I know you need to make one up. 8)
I clam to be in Class 3. Can peddle at 28 mph (no I'm not helping) and throttle only my trike will do 20 mph class 3.

Bro we are all legal e-bike riders here on ES!
:thumb:

I can't really confirm my exact speed, since my vision was blurred and I couldn't technically see my speedometer. That usually happen over 30mph absent good eye protection, but maybe there was a head wind. :lol:

E-HP said:
I can't really confirm my exact speed, since my vision was blurred and I couldn't technically see my speedometer. That usually happen over 30mph absent good eye protection, but maybe there was a head wind. :lol:

As long as your mxus 45H or 50H motor is engraved with 249W :wink:

:lol:

Here is a 3W laser, maybe start up a business in your London flat. Enprint 249W for a safety margin between you and the steel matching bracelets.
https://www.amazon.com/engraving-machine-Engraver-Off-line-engraver/dp/B07QQ2N7C8?ref_=Oct_s9_apbd_omwf_hd_bw_bs6sR&pf_rd_r=5VCA3KMM31N1FPV7SX2D&pf_rd_p=93c524a2-5cdd-5e0e-bd44-5ac90347fd5e&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=12896151

My Magnum Metro is more like "Class 2.1". I think the actual top speed while pedaling, absent head or tail winds, is about 21MPH. The speedo shows about 23MPH, although the crooks who sell the bikes advertised 28MPH. I doubt that even the Metro+, with taller wheels, hits 28MPH actual.

Have been wanting to put 750w stickers on my 72V leafmotor. :roll:

by LeftieBiker » Oct 13 2020 11:35pm

My Magnum Metro is more like "Class 2.1". I think the actual top speed while pedaling, absent head or tail winds, is about 21MPH. The speedo shows about 23MPH, although the crooks who sell the bikes advertised 28MPH. I doubt that even the Metro+, with taller wheels, hits 28MPH actual.

I ride with people most of the time and it is always below 20mph.

LeftieBiker said:

He was pedaling like a hamster. It was impressive.

ZeroEm said:

I ride alone almost all of the time, and wouldn't mind being able to do an actual 25MPH. Of course at that speed, even with an 11 tooth gear, I'd also be pedaling like a hamster. (Picturing a hamster on a little stationary bike.)

by LeftieBiker » Oct 14 2020 1:51am

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Oct 13 2020 11:38pm

I ride alone almost all of the time, and wouldn't mind being able to do an actual 25MPH. Of course at that speed, even with an 11 tooth gear, I'd also be pedaling like a hamster. (Picturing a hamster on a little stationary bike.)

Like the looks of your bike. I'm sure you can go after market and up grade it. Like " E-HP" always improving on perfection.

I planned and built my trike to do what it does. Have been reluctant to change it. Me and my trike are over 330lbs and built it to pull me up hills with out peddling and getting hot. The hills where I live not OP's hills. It will do 33mph on the flats but don't enjoy the ride, to stress full. The main goal was distance and the battery will out last my butt.

Another 5 mph should not be that bad. Make a plan, if you want to ride at 25mph get the bike to topout at 30mph or more. start with what the battery can do. Factory bikes will most likely limit speed to 20mph. Bigger tires will not help. Lie to the setup if you can. Tell it you have small wheels then it will up the rpms to hit 20mph.

I've tried "telling" the bike it has 20" wheels but it seems the controller is locked to 26". I'll be happy if the new wheel and motor I have ready to install are quiet, unlike the current, 'howling' motor, which has been noisy for the last 2000 miles...

LeftieBiker said:
I've tried "telling" the bike it has 20" wheels but it seems the controller is locked to 26". I'll be happy if the new wheel and motor I have ready to install are quiet, unlike the current, 'howling' motor, which has been noisy for the last 2000 miles...

Looks like there's been some hacking for your bike. maybe there's hope:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/how-i-bypassed-the-speed-restriction-on-my-ncm-500w-48v-moscow-plus-29er.32699/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QehyWuTvhs

I went through that thread, and the bottom line is the bikes will only do 21 or 22MPH. Magnum used to lie and say 28MPH, but now the lie has been lowered to 25MPH. Magnum also sold a bunch of people different version displays that supposedly can make the bike reach 28MPH, but they were lying about that, as well. I can get my bike to go just over 30MPH - it just takes a fairly big hill...

Well companies like to control things and stick to speed limits. have switches to limit power. It is nice to have a higher top end if needed. Do like the rest of us get a heavy motor, 40A controller and a battery to feed it. Then have fun. 8)

ZeroEm said:
Well companies like to control things and stick to speed limits. have switches to limit power. It is nice to have a higher top end if needed. Do like the rest of us get a heavy motor, 40A controller and a battery to feed it. Then have fun. 8)

I'm pretty much on my last legs physically. Today I did an upgrade that exhausted me: I topped off the tires. I'd just like my bike to perform (and sound) like new again.

I spent most of my time in Bed my back will not let me bend over. It takes me hours to do anything on my trike, can only work for a few mins then need to lay down. I can not ride a non-recumbent for very long but my trike lets me do hours but can not get rough with the peddles so E-trike with enough power and distance to get me home if I can not peddle at all. Have you tried one "LeftieBiker". I can not peddle fast but my trike let's me ride with the best of them. Started riding with a road bike group, think tour de france, :lol:. steady 25 mph will leave the best of them.

I don't think I'd live long riding a low trike with the drivers around here, and a high one would be unstable - and I can ride 2 wheels fine, especially once moving. I'm sorry about your back. I have a bad one too, but my TENS unit usually calms it enough for me to ride.

Back