So I bought a lathe...and made Hub Motors

I think DIY and off-the-shelf should race. @Pediglide, you should challenge those guys at the Mellow Drive kickstarter to a 4WD race....only uphill!

Great fun meeting up and riding today! Have to say your hub motor setup is really nice. I'm going to have to buy a set soon.

Szogs said:
I think DIY and off-the-shelf should race. @Pediglide, you should challenge those guys at the Mellow Drive kickstarter to a 4WD race....only uphill!

Ha, Torque will challenge them with his 24s battery and quadruple VESC setup and no roll bars! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

psychotiller said:
Great fun meeting up and riding today! Have to say your hub motor setup is really nice. I'm going to have to buy a set soon.

Nice to see you guys again, happy Father's Day bro btw. Your board with the pneumatic wheels and your mount is really sweet, I can hardly tell that there's a motor in there.

You should post an actual picture of your mount.

My hub motors arrived today. Hot damn this is sweet! These wheels are so huge. The motors are monstorous compared to the ones on my Boosted. I can't wait to get this build together.
Just gotta get my VESC.

Thanks to Pediglide I finished my hub motor setup today.

It's a Bustin eq 36" deck, Flier 120A dual ESC (was still laying around here, will switch to VESC soon also with this board), wiiceiver with Kama Nunchuk, 7s10Ah battery with BMS, anti-spark power switch.

It drives very smooth, wouldn't have guessed that it could be so easy going. Still, it's also a dragster and those two motors are really powerful if you accelerate too fast. Need some more testing, but I am already excited! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_4182_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4182_1024.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 5,502
  • thumb_IMG_4183_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4183_1024.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 5,502
  • thumb_IMG_4184_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_4184_1024.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 5,502
Just ordered the 149kv version, excited to try them out!

What voltage are you guys running yours on, have you noticed any difference in performance when using 10S/12S instead of 6S?

okp said:
12S is way better than 10S; I would say more efficiency. 10S has nothing to compare with 7S ! So I would say ... go for 12S!

Do you have any numbers from testing Pediglides hubmotors?

I'm using them with 7s/10Ah and it has power like a dragster, one has to be very careful with the throttle! Drove 15km today and would assume it's sufficient for >30km (while driving moderate and on flat environment, 20-25kph average).

10s or 12s might save on power consumption and give you even more power while driving steep hills. But for me 7s is more then sufficient. And be careful when using a flier ESC, it needs some important adjustments in the config else your board will throw you off with those hub motors! :mrgreen:

I'm using 6s and although it's great on the flats, it will slow down uphill. I'm going to try Flier's dual 7s and see the difference. If you can afford it, I'll recommend dual Mamba XL2.

Be careful when you go 10s/12s, you really have to have a good and solid connection with your remote control. Also, the big wheels and the almost-freewheeling nature of the hubmotors can induce wobbles at high speeds.

You can also experiment putting the hubmotors in front for more a little more pulling-power.

Thanks Elkick and Pediglide!
Im not really in to going faster then 30-35km/h anyway so using a higher voltage would be more for efficiency and range..
Will be soldering up a few VESCs next week so I can try a 6s and a 12s setup and compare.

BTW, be very, very careful on the acceleration when you put the Hub motors on front. Be super-soft on the throttle and lean forward...a lot, before pulling it. I just got my butt handed to me. :oops:

But once it gets going, it's actually feels nicer carving at lower speed than 2RWD. I even did a little dance. :mrgreen:

I guess the motors up front acts like gravity, pulling you on a long and mellow downhill ride.

To avoid debris entering the motors I've put a shield on it.

Actually it's just a fitting cover (5cm diameter, 1/2" in the middle, attached with some M3 screws), but it might help to avoid damaging the windings. Also there is still a very small gap between the shield and the motor to ensure airflow. :D

Sweet idea to add covers for debris reflection, great addition. -Wonder how those motors will do in puddles, etc, have you tried it over any wet patches anywhere, just curious
Keep up the good work

Back