Solution for unbalanced small tires 10x3.5x4

Jeff23spl

100 mW
Hello
I'm looking for ideas or options that i could have missed.
I'm playing around modifying kick scooter with more power and my actual limitation is the tires.
Most of them (all of mine) use the small 10inch tire on a 3x4 inch rim. (Black rat or Razor etc)

The 10'' size is limiting for speed at some point making it dangerous for pot hole but, i'm not there yet, my main problem is the rubber unbalance that make it wiggle the steering when i get up to some speed.
I checked 6 tires including 2 new. Different thread patern and all of them were all deeply unbalanced.
I mean, if you remove brake caliper and lift the front of the scooter, you can turn the wheel at any angle and when you let it go, it always fall back at the same position/angle with the heaviest point at the bottom. (Like when you check a lawn mower knife for rought balancing)
I checked 2-3 rims, new bearing and checked bolt to make sure it is straight but it isn't the problem, everything comes from the tires....

I bought 2 different brand expecting i could get one good but no....it seem they do it to run at low speed only....
I counter balanced one with car weights. I first tryed on the wheel but the diameter is too small, i cannot add enough weight there to counter act the rubber on the other side....So i did add weight stuck inside with tape but it is pita of try and error....
-I test the weight on the outside
-mark the position
-unmount the tire to put them inside
-check again few times until it get good enough....
This helped but the added weight add some effect...Not sure if it is gyroscoping force but it feel like the wheel is heavier now when giving turning angle...

I would like to know if someone know a tire brand or supplyer that make one with better balance. I'm afraid to buy and get the same shit.
I wonder what is used on the high power kick scooters. The ones rated for 70kmh and more seem to have similar size tires...

I did also check for larger wheel and tires, i could weld an extension to accept little more diameter.....but i don't find much affordable wheels of 12-13inch with a disck brake. kid bicycle usually don't have this kind of brakes so....

Maybe a front hub motor....the heavier hub may help it ? But i'm not sure to be ready for all the needs of a dual motor ride and figuring out, how i can match a front hub with a geared mid drive combo...

So any idea to help my issue are welcome...

Last edited:
Some creativity may be required.
Try it in the tube first ?
Or go tubeless.
By doing whatever is needed to seal the rim.

This is how I've done the tubeless procedure many times.
From bicycle wheels to 990 KTM Adventure bike capable of 130 mph top speed.
For a spoke wheel use Seal-All over the nipples and 3M Extreme Conditions tape as the rim liner. (lower speed bicycle wheels Gorilla tape works OK)
Typically thread the valve stem hole and replace with a brass air fill stem.
Seal the stem to the rim with JB Weld epoxy.

Some creativity may be required.
Try it in the tube first ?
Or go tubeless.
By doing whatever is needed to seal the rim.

This is how I've done the tubeless procedure many times.
From bicycle wheels to 990 KTM Adventure bike capable of 130 mph top speed.
For a spoke wheel use Seal-All over the nipples and 3M Extreme Conditions tape as the rim liner. (lower speed bicycle wheels Gorilla tape works OK)
Typically thread the valve stem hole and replace with a brass air fill stem.
Seal the stem to the rim with JB Weld epoxy.

I'm looking at 1 piece larger rim for tubeless, the ones i found have a thinner tire so i keep looking but the original is 2 half wheel bolted toghether to install the tire. I could seal the 2 parts but the valve steam hole is a lot larger and cut in half for each side, that could be hard.
The more i look, the more i think i have to get bigger rim for a lower profile tire...This size seem to be more related to wheelbarrow than faster ride...

Attachments

• scooter wheel.png
    scooter wheel.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 1
  • scooter wheel2.png
    scooter wheel2.png
    140 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back