son inlaws first play on a e-bike :-)

gwhy!

100 kW
Took a small vid of my son inlaw playing around on my small but fun outrunner e-bike and thought I would post it on here :) :D
[youtube]_QB2EmxkWvk[/youtube]
Its not the best video in the world, and the battery was a little on the flat side but we were still having a bit of fun on it until the fuse blew :mrgreen: The motor and speed controller was around ambient temp after about 5-10mins riding around like this.
[youtube]GSKkrQZPaHU[/youtube]
Was only out testing the throttle resolution switch to see if it was more user friendly for trials and yes it worked a treat :D

The motor is a 3250w outrunner http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7870&Product_Name=TGY_AerodriveXp_SK_Series_63-74_170Kv_/_3250W

fitted with hall sensors. Moddified 6fet keywin controller set with a 70A limit. 12cell lipo pack.

markobetti said:
nice, what voltage are you running it on ?

Thanks,
Its 12s2p lipo 44.4v, this video was taken when the batterys were only around 44v so they were on there way to being flat. When the batterys are hot of the charger at 50v it really do fly.

edit:
For record the fuse that blew just went through fatigue and not because the controller could not handle it there was no pop or bang just went to pull away and nothing, the 80A fuse have seen as much as 110A in the past and held up fine but I think it just had enough with 70A current limit. :mrgreen:

Cool vids there GWhy, surprised pulling wheelies is so tdifficult
with the infineon controller though, I thought the controller delivery
of power down low was meant to be smooth and precise mate!?!
A trials rider like your goodself should be able to ride along all day
on the back wheel GWhy :?

KiM

Maybe my volume is too low, but the drivetrain doesn't sound that loud. What kind of drive-train are you using? What's the voltage, motor kV, (motor tooth count if applicable), (Chain type if applicable), etc.

I'd like my system to be similarly quiet. :)

swbluto said:
Maybe my volume is too low, but the drivetrain doesn't sound that loud.

Probaly because they aren't its just the frock bois that are anal about hearing that think they are :mrgreen:
Under 3/4 throttle my setup with all the belts was quieter than any video i seen of a frock motor.

KiM

AussieJester said:
swbluto said:
Maybe my volume is too low, but the drivetrain doesn't sound that loud.

Probaly because they aren't its just the frock bois that are anal about hearing that think they are :mrgreen:
Under 3/4 throttle my setup with all the belts was quieter than any video i seen of a frock motor.

KiM

Yeah, that's pretty much the case with chain AND belts. The faster the chain/belt travels, the more noise it makes.

With the collosus motor, you could probably just run at a low chain/belt speed and get tremendous torque, so I have a feeling that motor would make quiet very powerful drives very easy to do.

swbluto said:
Yeah, that's pretty much the case with chain AND belts. The faster the chain/belt travels, the more noise it makes.

Actually the noise thats heard after 3/4 throttle ain't the belts its from the outrunner, when it hits
lil over 3/4 throttle it starts to make sweet sweet turbine like noises Can't hear the
rest of the drivetrain at all then :mrgreen: Even now with the first stage using #25
chain it still remarkably quiet, will be even more so when i fit one of Mr Recumpence SiRs
CNC chain guards to the first stage 8)

KiM

Ypedal said:
Very nice !!.. runs smoothly and i don't hear any belt/chain skipping.. :D

That would be murder on an HV controller....

Thanks Ypedal,
It is very smooth, I dont think any rc esc would cope with the start up that I put this bike through, Crawling up the hills just wound not happen :D .

AussieJester said:
Cool vids there GWhy, surprised pulling wheelies is so tdifficult
with the infineon controller though, I thought the controller delivery
of power down low was meant to be smooth and precise mate!?!
A trials rider like your goodself should be able to ride along all day
on the back wheel GWhy :?

KiM
:mrgreen: My son inlaw was determined to nail a long wheelie for the video and im sure he will want another go soon to get it nailed, The controller is very smooth and precice and Its very easy to lift the front wheel on the throttle alone but it is difficult to maintain balance without nothing to push against with your feet when you are stood up and going walking pace. I was never any good at doing walking pace wheelies on anything :mrgreen: higher speed wheelies, well there just to easy :wink:

swbluto said:
Maybe my volume is too low, but the drivetrain doesn't sound that loud. What kind of drive-train are you using? What's the voltage, motor kV, (motor tooth count if applicable), (Chain type if applicable), etc.

I'd like my system to be similarly quiet. :)

It is very quite for what it is Like AJ has said the only noise is from the motor and not the drive train, the first stage is belt I cant remember off hand if the motor pulley is a 16 or 18t to 72t pulley. Im using a 219 chain to the rear wheel 11t to 65t.

Well put together bike! I hope to get to a point soon that I'm confident enough with my build to send it off for wheelie practice. At the moment, the throttle sensitivity is such that anything but the lightest touch on the throttle sees the rider head over apex. I'd be keen to hear about how you're changing the sensitivity of your throttle. At the moment, the throttle response is cubic - it's vicious for the first 20%, it then flattens out till 70% after which is wheelies again.
My setup is turnigy 130Kv 6kW with a 12 fet 4110 Lyen controller on 12s lipo. The one solution I'm currently pursuing is an Atmel arduino chip programmed to intercept the throttle signal and "linearise" the bikes response. Measuring the current may even be better although slightly more complex. It's such a pity that the infneons don't have this functionality.
Other that the throttle response the hall sensored approach is far superior to my RC ESC experience which lasted about 5 min before flaming out. The throttle response in your video looks to far more controllable - how have you achieved it?

blitzwagen said:
Well put together bike! I hope to get to a point soon that I'm confident enough with my build to send it off for wheelie practice. At the moment, the throttle sensitivity is such that anything but the lightest touch on the throttle sees the rider head over apex. I'd be keen to hear about how you're changing the sensitivity of your throttle. At the moment, the throttle response is cubic - it's vicious for the first 20%, it then flattens out till 70% after which is wheelies again.
My setup is turnigy 130Kv 6kW with a 12 fet 4110 Lyen controller on 12s lipo. The one solution I'm currently pursuing is an Atmel arduino chip programmed to intercept the throttle signal and "linearise" the bikes response. Measuring the current may even be better although slightly more complex. It's such a pity that the infneons don't have this functionality.
Other that the throttle response the hall sensored approach is far superior to my RC ESC experience which lasted about 5 min before flaming out. The throttle response in your video looks to far more controllable - how have you achieved it?

Thanks blitzwagen,
There were a couple of things that all played apart in making the whole bike a lot more controllable for my use. There was a big improvement on my setup when I finally got the hall spacing spot on. In the video I was only trying out a 2 position speed switch, which is a function of the controller and setup in the Parameter Designer software this worked really well for my use, ( gives you the same throttle resolution as normal but up to a pre set speed ) I also have turned my phase current ratio down ( from 2.5x to around 1.5-2x ) in Parameter Designer, and this was, I think the major difference in control ( it made it not so twitchy when winding on the throttle ). Dont get me wrong the bike is still more than capable of throwing me off the back but in a much more controlled fashion :lol: I was also going to pursue along the lines of fitting some electronics inline with the throttle to tame this problem but as it is now its good enough for me. Just a thought I am using a hall throt if your using a pot throt you could have a dirty wiper :?:

Hmm. thanks for the tip regarding the current ratio. I'm not sure that I understand this relationship completely as yet but I do have mine currently set to 2.5 which I picked up from the hub motor guys. It's pouring with rain today but I'll give a 1.5X ratio a go later. Do you have a build thread on your bike ? I'm currently using existing bmx chains and after 20km I'm already seeing some stretch, I'd like to see how you adapted the rear #219 sprocket to your rear wheel.

blitzwagen said:
Hmm. thanks for the tip regarding the current ratio. I'm not sure that I understand this relationship completely as yet but I do have mine currently set to 2.5 which I picked up from the hub motor guys. It's pouring with rain today but I'll give a 1.5X ratio a go later. Do you have a build thread on your bike ? I'm currently using existing bmx chains and after 20km I'm already seeing some stretch, I'd like to see how you adapted the rear #219 sprocket to your rear wheel.

Hi blitzwagwen,
No sorry I dont have a built thread. I do have a picture of the rear sprocket though:
rear sprocket right.JPG

It is a 7 speed cassette that I dismantled and welded some tabs onto the largest sprockets then re-assembled the cassette sprockets to give me the correct chain line. Hope this makes sense. The only freewheel in the system is the freewheel hub on the back wheel.

edit: :oops: I forgot, I also have a freewheel on the peddles.

gwhy! said:
It is a 7 speed cassette that I dismantled and welded some tabs onto the largest sprockets then re-assembled the cassette sprockets to give me the correct chain line.

Very clever...

KiM

hey gwhy!,

how is the freehub handling the torque.....i remember you posted in the freewheel broaching thread a while ago about breaking one and welding it up....is this one in the same or did you replace it?......I have a dual 3220 drive coming from Matt and im trying to figure if a freehub would handle the power.

cheers
Rodger

rodgah said:
hey gwhy!,

how is the freehub handling the torque.....i remember you posted in the freewheel broaching thread a while ago about breaking one and welding it up....is this one in the same or did you replace it?......I have a dual 3220 drive coming from Matt and im trying to figure if a freehub would handle the power.

cheers
Rodger

This was a replacement freewheel hub ( I cant remeber the exact model at the mo but is a shimano) but so far its holding up. The freewheel that broke was also shimano freewheel hub that I had given to me but i think it was in the budget range of hubs. I think the hubs will handle the power it was the sudden startup ( takeup in the freewheel mech ) that caused the ratchet mech to become worn then eventually start slipping.

Here is a short vid of my bike climbing a hill, I just got one of those small turnigy video cams and this was its first outing. The onboard video that I took was not usable :( cos it was pointing in the wrong direction :oops: , mainy the floor. I will set something better up now I got the hang of it :D . This was one the smaller hills that we were playing on, the bike took it in its stride. I was a shame that the chain derailed and bent my tensioner but I was riding over some pretty big rocks at the time :mrgreen:
[youtube]jtvvuTa1-6w[/youtube]

Cool video GWhy bit 'generous' on estimating those grades though buddy :wink: LoL.....uhm...wheres the amazing 6fet infineon good for 8000watt you said you would show me...? weeks ago...mt hv160 can't take much more of this punishment will need a replacement very soon i envisage...

KiM

AussieJester said:
Cool video GWhy bit 'generous' on estimating those grades though buddy :wink: LoL.....uhm...wheres the amazing 6fet infineon good for 8000watt you said you would show me...? weeks ago...mt hv160 can't take much more of this punishment will need a replacement very soon i envisage...

KiM
:mrgreen: I think they are good estimates mate :D the hill was mainly 10% with two 25% grade humps that were about the 2x bike lengths. I sort of been side tracked with the 6 fet controller but Im nearly at the stage of playing around with it again. This setup only was pulling 3-4kw going up some of the bigger hills I was riding and the controller stayed cool... 8)

What the F*#k....!! I just found out that a 100% grade hill is only 45 degrees !!! ( thought it was 90 degrees ) how stupid is that :? so all my quotes on hill grades will have to be doubled :) the two bumps (hills) in the second vid will be 50% grade and the overall grade would be 20%, and the hill in the first vid would be around 90% grade, What happens if I throw my bike up a hill thats over 45 degrees what do you call that !! as there is no such thing as more than 100% of anything :mrgreen: .

Back