Spoke Light - POV(Persistence of Vision)

Bought this little kit about 3 weeks ago. It's working pretty well and i just thought some people might like the novelty of the item. It is also great for those who rides at night. The light in the wheel will make sure you are seen. Some tedious soldering to get everything together, but it's a great kit because you can customize the image. You guys could even put advertising in the wheel. You can have up to 4 images flashing in sequence. Great thing about using this with our ebike is less kit to buy. Normal people must pedal up to 12mph with one kit to get a decent picture you usually need to buy 2 kit to get good image at slow speed. Since we ride at about 20mph. You could use one kit and get a great picture.

Check out the pac man animation. Pacman will never get the ghost :cry:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

You have no idea how much I would like to have this:

morph.gif

Rolling along with my wheel.

btw. Here's another source. This one is more controlling pattern than making picture. I think the pro kit might be able to do picture
http://www.monkeylectric.com/

The Spoke POV kits from ladyada are a lot fun to build & program. I built three and loaded a 4 frame animation of a rat running in a wheel. Safety via the WTF factor :wink:

The Monkeylectric m132s POVs use 36 RGB LEDs. Picked a few up at Maker Faire.. and these things are frackin' bright! Their m464q -which is still in development- is going to be truly awesome.

Snipped from an email communique..

Also - the 464q unit is still under development. We have several
prototypes - you saw some at maker faire. The 464q is designed to do
stabilized images and video for advertising and shows. It also has
radio control, and much higher brightness and image quality than the
132s.

Images AND video :shock: 8)
Forget high-buck LCD/plasma screens. I want to watch Battlestar Gallactica on a hub-motored 29'er!

Stevil_Knevil said:
The Spoke POV kits from ladyada are a lot fun to build & program. I built three and loaded a 4 frame animation of a rat running in a wheel. Safety via the WTF factor :wink:

Plz get video? Or at least make an animated GIF? :D

Found the.gif here, Link..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43576065@N00/180154295/sizes/o/

180154295_8006d39ac2_o.gif

..but modified the bitmap files to make it fatter.

Epic...

What's the "framerate" on one of these and can it be changed through a simple component swap? (Mind that a 20" wheel doing 30mph will allow for a pretty high one. :D)

Hrm, shouldn't be too hard to make three with red, green, and blue diodes...yes...

The board use a hall sensor to detect a neodymium magnet to sense speed. Then it modulate the led to generate the picture. Also the program that is provided for your computer to program the thing have angle adjustment since not everyone place the manget at 12o'clock position which is up top. So you can adjust the angle/orientation of the image to get it right side up. Even if you import the image completely upside down, you can still set it so it's right side up. Also, the board have a delay function so you can control how long before the next image is pulse up. So you can control the frame speed up to a certain point. Suck you can't do full color images.

That's a great one stevil. I thought about doing that with images of planetary gear. Also i thought about using different LED color for different layer Such as the outer gear would use one color and the inner one another. Problem is different color LED take different voltage. I guess i'll have to find a chart to find 2 or 3 of the closes matching voltage one so they don't blow.

Link. the board can be cut to accomodate BMX wheel too. It will also yield extra parts and less soldering if you decide to go that part.

she doesn't say the max you can go. I'm sure these microprocessor can handle 50mph. Problem being These thing will probably blow up at 30mph. Structurally it's not built for that. The batteries is the heaviest component on the board and it stick out the most.If you can somehow move the battery mount on the board to non moving part, and then send electricity via a commutator system. Then you can mount the board as flat as possible and it wouldn't break off from high speed.

Oh Man, ngocthach1130 - a planetary gear reduction animation MUST happen! Good idea on the subject of POV battery relocation, too.

Some on-road observations:

-A single POV throws a wheel into an unbalanced and unnerving undulation @ ~20MPH.
-Dual POVs will not be 180 apart in a 36 hole wheel - which most all hub-motored wheels are graced with (32 holes is perfect for dual POVs).
-Triple POVS can be set 120 degrees apart in a 36 hole wheel. Persistence Of Vision is more pronounced at lower speeds.

Kit: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=19&zenid=6dd81923c98c46239ad9cc8a87958e14

-Cutting the POV Printed Circuit Board at the 20"/BMX length yields POVs that fit perfectly in a 400 series C-lyte/eZee hub-motored 26" wheel.
-Blue or green LEDs require a third 'AA' battery to drive.. who's mount is lost if the BMX cut is made :roll:

My set up is 1 yellow and 2 red POVs, which throws an orangey, flickering flame-like image.

I'm tempted right now to cut my board and stuff it in the rear wheel. Suck since i soldered up everything already. What a waste. It look ugly in the front, that and i can't spin it fast enough by hand to see the image. At least in the rear i can use the motor to run it. Then again i'm planning to reduce my rear wheel to 24" since my toe barely touch the ground when i ride and no adjustment to seat will fix that. You think it'll fit in 400 series motor rear with 24" wheel?

ngocthach1130 said:
It look ugly in the front, that and i can't spin it fast enough by hand to see the image. At least in the rear i can use the motor to run it.

Just cut the damn thing :p might want to add a second POV for better Persistence Of Vision(?)

ngocthach1130 said:
You think it'll fit in 400 series motor rear with 24" wheel?

Nope, sorry :|

You can get 15% off monkeyelectric bike light kit by using coupon code INSTRUCT. Good through June.

It was posted on instructables, but i can't see why it won't work for us. There is a post about light contest. If you guys have contribution try the contest and you might win it.

Awww why didn't i think of that. I think the guy uses 3 module of the spoke POV with different color for each. Then he create different layer of the image and program it to its respective module. With that approach you would have to align the module pretty well.

ngocthach1130 said:
Awww why didn't i think of that. I think the guy uses 3 module of the spoke POV with different color for each. Then he create different layer of the image and program it to its respective module. With that approach you would have to align the module pretty well.

Could have swore I said something to that effect somewhere. Too bad these ones can't vary the output of the LEDs to make a sort of "grayscale" picture. Then it wouldn't be to hard to do, actually. Just buy three, swap the LEDs for RGB. Make copies of the image, and filter out the R and G (or B and G or G and R). Convert them to grayscale, load them into their respective boards, and roll on. :wink:

Back