Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Cricket_Swe said:
What controllers are you all using on your Alphas? And is it mounted inside the frame or outside?
Some of us are using the Adaptto, mounted on the bottom side of the frame.

For you people who use a single speed system, what type of freewheel do you use in the rear? I had one that was very loud so I tried switching it out for this Shimano one:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/se/en/shimano-single-speed-freewheel/rp-prod7805

But it didn't work as you can see in this thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90368

Does anyone have any suggestions of 17T freewheel that fits the Alpha with a QS 205 motor and is quiet? Also I want it to be the thinner of the two width sizes, aka 3⁄32" (2.4 mm), and not 1⁄8" (3.2 mm). Because my chainring is the thinner of the two

Hey guys! I am finally joining the FUTR Alpha club after 6 bicycle conversions! My frame should be on the way as soon as it is out of powder coating. I have been all throughout this thread and have seen people using 17 and 18" moto rims and up to 24" bicycle wheels on their motors but I haven't seen anyone thus far with a QS or TC running a 26" bicycle wheel.

I was looking to get a TC4080 motor as I want some decent power 3-5 KW but I also want to retain at least a 7 speed and the 'bicycle look' as much as possible from afar. So, my question is, has anyone tried a rear motor with a 26" bicycle wheel? and if so, how wide a tire can you fit in there?

Note: Primary use is street commuting on a daily basis so my focus is on tires with good road compounds/designs, 2.5" to 3" width and top speed of 45mph and want the front/rear wheels to match.

Any info would be much appreciated!

DCMoore84 said:
Hey guys! I am finally joining the FUTR Alpha club after 6 bicycle conversions! My frame should be on the way as soon as it is out of powder coating. I have been all throughout this thread and have seen people using 17 and 18" moto rims and up to 24" bicycle wheels on their motors but I haven't seen anyone thus far with a QS or TC running a 26" bicycle wheel.

I was looking to get a TC4080 motor as I want some decent power 3-5 KW but I also want to retain at least a 7 speed and the 'bicycle look' as much as possible from afar. So, my question is, has anyone tried a rear motor with a 26" bicycle wheel? and if so, how wide a tire can you fit in there?

Note: Primary use is street commuting on a daily basis so my focus is on tires with good road compounds/designs, 2.5" to 3" width and top speed of 45mph and want the front/rear wheels to match.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Which frame are you getting? The Beta with a 26" wheel can run up to 2.5" wide tires, 24MTB wheel it can go say 2.6" wide tires. The Alpha has room for 3" wide tires.

For those speeds DCMoore84, I'd be going with a motobike tyre such as the popular shrinko choice. I use a mxus 3000w v2 on a 19" rim, on my alpha and because of the tyre profile it is almost as big as a 26 bike wheel.

The beta is pretty narrow and my 2.4 wide tyres on a 26" rim fit nicely. i wouldnt like any wider than that for fear of rubbing and annoying fitting issues. Top speeds on these will be 50kmh i'd say.

Speaking of fitting issues, I have some dnm spacers for alpha and beta bikes, for rear shock mounts. so 20mm wide and 30mm wide with the 8mm hole. Im happy to keep em on hand for my builds but happy to sell a pair for $20 delivered for whoever needs them. The retail options are bloody robbery!

Heres a pic from a ride yesterday, and a little gathering of bikes for some upcoming website snaps / vids.

ebike2.jpg

ebike1.jpg

Hey Rix, I hope to complete 2 soon, my front rims turned up yesterday, so the build is really coming on. Driveline and brakes will be the next pieces, and a bit of local marketing / test rides to shift them out the door! Should make great christmas presents! - Although Jacqui, my partner is eyeing off the white beta, with the smaller manitou shock. so that will be good for cruisy sunday rides around here or longer touring type rides.

which brings me to how i was doing some mental calculations at 4 in the morning about long distance touring, I came to the rough conclusion that you could fit 13sx15 cells in there (maybe more? maybe less?) for a long distance tourer, on a 500w geared hub, you could basically ride all day (6 hours ) on 48v at 20-35kmh. Got me thinking about doing some adventures up the east coast of aus or beyond. Would be a neat package to do it in. Maybe with a bob trailer for extra luggage...

Anyway. Back on track. I have a couple of questions actually you all may be able to help with or confirm my ideas.

Mounting the cheap mxus controllers inside the beta frame. - they are small and fit ok, and I'm not keen on drilling holes through the frame - to give it a neat appearance and flexible for new owners to upgrade later / mount where they want more permanently. I am thinking of going with industrial velcrow backing to start. Not ideal thermal wise, but probably ok? thoughts?

The other idea i has was using little neodymium magnets, superglueing them to the controller and then let the steel frame do its thing with the magnets. they are damn strong and would hold it ok im sure, however do you think the electrics inside the controller would be affected by the magnetic field of these very powerful magnets? i couldnt find much info about this. Could be a good mounting solution if its ok.

Hey all, just wanted to share how I did the brake hose lever. In the back it goes through a "Cable gland" that in turn goes through a piece of aluminum with carbon fiber wrap on it. So as to keep the theme of carbon that the bike has on the panels. In the front it goes through a rubber "Cable gland" (I think that's what it's called)

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, looks nice and sleek.

I came to the rough conclusion that you could fit 13sx15 cells in there (maybe more? maybe less?) for a long distance tourer, on a 500w geared hub, you could basically ride all day (6 hours ) on 48v at 20-35kmh. Got me thinking about doing some adventures up the east coast of aus or beyond. Would be a neat package to do it in. Maybe with a bob trailer for extra luggage..

Got another Alpha frame on the way.....down the road. I was toying with the idea of a 14S 16P pack for it running a mac 10 at 1800w max with intent of being a super long distance machine. I guess it depends on what happens with adaptto availability. I like where your head is at. :mrgreen:

And here's what happened to the old one! I was in Yellowstone with nothing to ride and a sad sad look on my face. Rix sensed something wasn't right in the world, called me on the Batphone and flew across state lines to restore eBike riding happiness. In reality, we both spent the better part of a day driving towards each other to hand off the bike but I like the batphone and flying story also.

Here are 2 ES FUTR fans yuckin it up in front of an Alpha.

37c7226da3199422c80cb4f09d3da5da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 3,005
It got a payload too... it was awesome pulling my son around the park. I am a big guy so with me, my pack, gear, tow bar, my son and his bike, and the Alpha itself, I bet that motor was pulling 450 to 475 lbs.
220d66ee6561a15e04a49d0299ab894e.jpg

b165092de2d41c164f8f8087f45c42ea.jpg

5a91a856034751a8e516b0b003617247.jpg

bc944980fd3ecb82802362eeda8ebad3.jpg

The last one was before my son and I climbed Mt. Washburn (seen waaay in the distance). It didn't go so well but we eventually made it. I think we might leave big loooong climbs like that to non-hub motors next time or drop a lot of excess weight in preparation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rix said:
I came to the rough conclusion that you could fit 13sx15 cells in there (maybe more? maybe less?) for a long distance tourer, on a 500w geared hub, you could basically ride all day (6 hours ) on 48v at 20-35kmh. Got me thinking about doing some adventures up the east coast of aus or beyond. Would be a neat package to do it in. Maybe with a bob trailer for extra luggage..

Got another Alpha frame on the way.....down the road. I was toying with the idea of a 14S 16P pack for it running a mac 10 at 1800w max with intent of being a super long distance machine. I guess it depends on what happens with adaptto availability. I like where your head is at. :mrgreen:

Hello,

I think Flux beta frame fits 180 cells maximum. I've spent lot of time last summer to fit them nicely.
if you manage to fit 195 you will be a hero! :D

Ioannis

icherouveim said:
Rix said:

Hello,

I think Flux beta frame fits 180 cells maximum. I've spent lot of time last summer to fit them nicely.
if you manage to fit 195 you will be a hero! :D

Ioannis
Its been a long time now, but it seems like I remember estimating 168 cells mathematically for the Beta. So if you can do 180, you the man, 195 and its going up in the neck. I guess if one broke the pack up in stages like Kepler did, it could work.

Nice pictures Jason, glad the Yellowstone trip worked out. Indeed it was a long day drive for both of us. I left at 4:45am, got home at about 7PM. I did stop for dinner though. Pulling around 475#, any issues with over heating?

@Cricket_swe, nice and clean routing.

Nice bike attachment. Hopefully the young fella doesn't cop a roost in the face!

Regarding cells perhaps 195 is pushing it. But if you could break the pack in 2 or 3 and use the space up the top that would be ideal. Just dreaming at this stage but it's a good idea i reckon.

I might have to get onto the simulator and see what ah battery caters for a days riding.

I just got a DSLR camera with video function so looking forward to some new pics n vids soon !

Lash said:
Nice bike attachment. Hopefully the young fella doesn't cop a roost in the face!

Regarding cells perhaps 195 is pushing it. But if you could break the pack in 2 or 3 and use the space up the top that would be ideal. Just dreaming at this stage but it's a good idea i reckon.

I might have to get onto the simulator and see what ah battery caters for a days riding.

I just got a DSLR camera with video function so looking forward to some new pics n vids soon !

I posted my battery pack's layout last May. I've done many calculations before to build it.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=88373

If you manage to fit more please share your battery pack here !
it's good to know for future projects.

Ioannis

By the way I've decided to buy a good helmet after 3 years (only 1kg) because flux beta at stage 3 is really fast and I was afraid a lot to ride like crazy in the city.

2017-10-07 13.43.05.jpg

2017-10-07 13.42.35.jpg

2017-10-07 13.43.29.jpg

I took my alpha out for a ride yesterday, all was good except a bit of trouble with chain drops. Had to stop about 4 or 5 times to put the chain back on? All up though great fun. The battery in this bike is 6 x 6s 10ah multi star packs connected 18s 20ah. I did a balance charge before I left and one cell pair would not go above 3.99V with the rest all between 4.15V and 4.19V so it looks like I might have a sick cell to weed out. The pack is about 18 months old and gets flogged with 80A draws a fair bit as my riding style on this bike is quite aggressive, mainly because I love the acceleration you get at full throttle :mrgreen: I will do a few more rides and balance before to see what happens.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2,794
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 2,794
Sweet ride Ian. Chain drops suck, I have experienced that my self on occasion. It really sucked when I was climbing a steep hill and needed the pedal assist.

Rix said:
Sweet ride Ian. Chain drops suck, I have experienced that my self on occasion. It really sucked when I was climbing a steep hill and needed the pedal assist.

Hey Rix, cheers yeah I'm still loving this bike and now I've got some time to ride and enjoy it.
Chain drops do suck that's for sure and they always seem to happen when it's the most inconvenient :lol:
At least on this bike you just pull up and stick it back on and you're away again. When I had the gng mid drive it usually meant a long push or carry back to the van and repairs to get the thing running again because the chain and/or sprockets nearly always would suffer damage.
My wooden chain guide works ok it just needs a few tweaks to get it more reliable. In 3rd gear it is best but 4th and up the chain is looser so tends to drop easier, admittedly it is very rough where I ride. Lots of rocks and rutted single track.

I had some chain drop issues on a recent ride after the bike fell over and knocked the tensioner out of alignment. After putting it back on 4 times I let it droop down over the axle for the rest of the ride and powered home. Ain't no hills 10+ kw won't pull you up :p

This is me getting bogged in a deceptively not-solid patch of swamp!

5bxHkto.jpg

Attachments

• alpha1.jpg
    alpha1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 2,552
Back