Stinky with 80-100 and Nuvinci. NEXT BIKE Teaser pic inside!

Hey E-racer, not entirely build related and others may want the answers so I wont use a pm, but I have a few queries regarding that motor of yours, wondering how it compares to the stock one in terms of weight, power and noise? It would weight more having more copper, and lower kv means less power, but does the added copper do much to fudge this? and the fact that the windings are probably better now... As for sound, is the motor itself much different or is it basically all chain noise anyway?

Thanks for that, it's great to see new and innovative builds everywhere :D

bandaro said:
Hey E-racer, not entirely build related and others may want the answers so I wont use a pm, but I have a few queries regarding that motor of yours, wondering how it compares to the stock one in terms of weight, power and noise? It would weight more having more copper, and lower kv means less power, but does the added copper do much to fudge this? and the fact that the windings are probably better now... As for sound, is the motor itself much different or is it basically all chain noise anyway?

Thanks for that, it's great to see new and innovative builds everywhere :D

I ditched the 12t wind. I ended up rewinding it 6 turn delta just like it was stock. The 12 turn was lack luster sound and power.

That motor can do more. Feed it more voltage! You won't regret.

If you want, I'll build the controller for you.

Cool, how's the 6turn workin' out?

O the 6 turn is great! I'm loving the thing. Got 220 Miles on it now over 10hrs of seat time. Here is a new video [youtube]M14YQVW_nOI[/youtube]

I think a NV w/ a 3220 would be great! I would have gone that route if I could afford a 3220.

bumped the bike up to 13s lipo now. I turned the current limiter on my kelly down to 80% it runs 62 mph on my gps now. More importantly the bikes power doesn't sag as the pack drains like it used to on 12s. Very happy with 13s now! I am wishing I could do 14s but I think I will blow up the NV controller.

62mph :shock:

That is scary speed on a bicycle.

What is the maximum power draw now?

The stinky is incredibly stable at those speeds. Really there isn't a whole lot you can change about a swing arm and head tube geometry. DH bikes are meant to be ridden down double black diamond slopes minus the snow. 62 on the street is nothing compared to 40+ down a mountain. I wish I could tell you actual current draw. I don't have a CA yet and I haven't put any effort into figuring out how to log the Kelly's internal shunt. I am about to run the bike in a fixed gear ratio (1:1) on the dyno at my school. We have the ATV sized dynojet to tune our formula SAE cars. This will give me accurate data to refine my NV shift map and actual wheel hp.

I have had one motor failure in 1000 miles. I had almost 2kW/hr lipo aboard and I did about 50mph to max of 58mph for about 4 miles without dropping below 40mph ever. Toasted the motor. It was worth it though to find out where it's limit was. The motor I toasted was a stock 130kv wind. With the standard 750 W/hr lipo (in swing arm) I can nearly floor it the entire battery and the motor is hot but below 100C.

I am running the bike on one of my old 80-100 cores right now. Side note the Nuvinci Hub is truly a work of engineering art. It is EXCELLENT!

I have decided this setup needs to be able to sustain 50+ mph with about 3 kW/hr. solution:
billeth.jpg

going to made into a large can/heat sink. It will have ATF in the bottom and the motor will slosh the oil around. I am hoping not to have to fill the level past 1/3 full time and testing will tell.

This is truly an addicting process once you get something running well. There are so many ways to expand. My roommate just ordered a Rep Rap so expect 3d printed stuff aboard soon!

I am very interested in the results of your oil cooling experiment. I have been thinking about this for a long time and I am very curious what the power losses will be. I feel like it will be a very good cooling solution but it might decrease your efficiency a little.

I have heard of oil cooling a motor. I am with Fizzit; I would assume this would reduce efficiency quite a bit due to the drag induced. I know it is done wiht other motors, but not at these RPMs we are running.

I am curious to see how it runs. This is a great experiment.

Matt

Instead of using ATF you could use 2.5wt suspension oil, this stuff is thinner than ATF and designed not to foam as trapped air would be undesireable in a suspension damper, no trapped air should result in better heat transfer.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/shock-oil.htm

Excellent! I will investigate the shock oil thanks! I am expecting a loss in efficiency. I am combating it in two ways. The motor is going to be a 9 turn to reduce it's speed w bit. Secondly I intend on strapping on a bunch more lipo :-D

newmotor.png

NEXT BIKE! This is an early design concept teaser pic. The frame will be possible thanks to Cartesian CNC profiling and bending http://www.cartesiantube.com/
newframe.png

I have not decided on power train yet. I am aiming for 7 kW/hr or more of capacity. Details to come.

Nice frame design ;)

Tench said:
Instead of using ATF you could use 2.5wt suspension oil, this stuff is thinner than ATF and designed not to foam as trapped air would be undesireable in a suspension damper, no trapped air should result in better heat transfer.

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/shock-oil.htm

E-racer said:
billeth.jpg

going to made into a large can/heat sink. It will have ATF in the bottom and the motor will slosh the oil around. I am hoping not to have to fill the level past 1/3 full time and testing will tell.

This is truly an addicting process once you get something running well. There are so many ways to expand. My roommate just ordered a Rep Rap so expect 3d printed stuff aboard soon!

You could use ethanol or acetone instead of oil for cooling. The alcohol would vaporize on the motor and condense at the top, like in a heatpipe. Acetone is even less viscous than water.
Sadly the casing will become pressurized when the motor gets hot. a radial shaft seal ring would be needed, which induces friction as well. Also acetone is flammable which induces some risks. Distilled water with rust protection additive would be also an option.

btw. you need a radial shaft seal ring anyway, otherwise your motor will leak if you lay down the bike on it's side.

Hello, Quick question i have is how hot has your Nuvinci been getting under load etc? Specially after you have done a 62mph run? I have a nuvinci been powered by a mid drive 9C hub motor in a ~20" wheel and it seems to get fairly hot, hot enough to touch but be uncomfortable and need to take your hand off it after 10sec. And i am only pushing 3kw into the nuvinci during acceleration and dropping down to about 2kw for a sustained 30mph top speed. Kinda does not seem right as i geared the bike for a top speed of >40mph so i may have a problem some where and just need some clarification.

Also i managed to make my Nuvinci slip abit towards the end of my test rides when it was hot.

Great idea!..but won't you have to worry about inducing eddy currents in the alu housing?

One way to avoid it is surround the motor can with a steel sleeve to give that extra flux somewhere to go (back into the motor). This should improved the motor efficiency too. If you go this way, I would be interested in having one (a sleeve) too, but for a different reason..I'm trying to add mass/rigidity to a "bad" magnet bell that likes to resonate at ~3000rpm. So I could chip in on 2?

Or you could use a plastic pipe (say schedule 40?) and rely on the "endcap" and "mount" for dissipating the heat the fluid picks up from the motor.

I just went with a ~4" cage fan to suck air through the motor and it works SUPER! ;) I have pulled 6500w through mine and did not heat up much at all. It even lower the no-load current from 6.5A to 5.5A. I could post pics if you'd like.

BTW: what is your average Wh/Mile?

Later,
Jay

Back