Stinky with 80-100 and Nuvinci. NEXT BIKE Teaser pic inside!

E-racer said:
Thank you. I made the harnesses(currently making). I'm taking my inspiration from laptops. I will be taping or using adhesive backed foam for most all of the wiring construction/routing. Here is all 3 harnesses ready to be taped to the packs.
3harness.jpg
how are you keeping the individual wires so closely + tidily bunched? are they on a backing or something? looks great!
How are you wiring the discharge leads? after seeing how tidy your balance leads are I'm keen to see what you do!

The leads are taped together. I will terminate the 4s banks with 4s plugs. The twin 6s harness will convert the 3 4s banks to 2 6sor plugs run up to the cell medics.

2/3 of the pack complete. here is 8s3p

8spack.jpg

izeman said:
looking great! i just can't understand

why noone seems to use RED heat shrink tube for positive wires. it looks wrong to me to see black tubes on red wires ;)

If you use male/female connectors so the positive and negative leads can't be connected incorrectly doesn't really matter what color the wires are, that said, I agree it looks odd..I do like the above layout though looks pro great job e-racer...

KiM

Thanks for the support and compliments. oddly enough I even bought red shrink tube but compared to the red turnigy wire it looks pink.

looking great mate
are the packs permanently connected? doesnt look like they're using bullets any more...

They are permanently connected. I accidentally ordered 10 bullet connecters (5 sets) meant to order 10 sets, OOPS. Regardless I've built a couple things with these lipos now and have not ever needed to disconnect at that point so I think its going to be ok. Worst comes to worst I will desolder/resolder.

Here is the entire left side pack completed ready for instal in the swing arm (gonna be a tight fit):
8spackcomp.jpg

To consider when setting up parallell packs like this with permanent balancers are 2 things i have experienced:
1. Use thick enough wires to allow some currenttravel.
2. Be careful to not discharge all the way to lvc.

I melted the black wires due to the above points.
Also the matching of the parallell cells matters. In my case it might have been a less than ideal match and one cell got "empty" earlier.
One cell out of 20 died aswell. Hard to call what was the egg and the chicken tho.
Regardless, I am more careful about not discharging too deep now.

20120224142746526.jpg

20120224143238478.jpg

20120224143815158.jpg

It is alive! pics soon

yes! all forms of media will come. I've got to work on my nuvinci tune before I can show off. That's tomorrows project.

You know, it just hit me [and maybe this was addressed already], but what about all the unsprung weight? The main reason to use a non-hub system (RC especially) is to reduce all the weight on the rear wheel. I absolutely love this setup. However, I am wondering about that aspect of it.

Matt

I notice the weight with the batteries on a rear rack. With it on the swing arm, I would think it would compound the problem. Now it's more like sprung weight and a heavy hub motor as well. I assume this will be replaced with an RC setup since a Nuvinci hub was mentioned. Another problem I see is the excessive pounding the lipos will see with it installed in the suspension. Hopefully this all works out for you.

I'll do a full write up tonight after I loose the daylight riding/tuning time. The swing arm fully loaded came in at 28lbs. 50cc-150cc scooter swing arms weigh over ~90lbs. Dirt bike swingarm/wheels assembly's can weigh in close to 30lbs aswell. I truly believe that the weight being 12" off the ground is much better than the weight being 26+" off the ground. I can assure you this thing handles incredibly well, it feels great!Hadcase packs are built for taking shock loads in R/C vehicles. This bike will be mainly used on the street and trails so I'm not to worried about the vibrations. Remember that the full 28lb swing arm is not fully unsprung either the weight closer to the fulcrum is more sprung than the weight close to the axle. More to come later tonight +Media! Thanks for all the support on this build it really gives you inspiration to get things done!

I still ride with my battery packs in the rear along with the ones in the frame, since I want the distance and have gotten use to the weight. It's not ideal but distance wins out for me. Your setup probably is better with the mass being lower. It's all a compromise. Kudos for doing something different.

Quick video make sure to watch the end.
[youtube]hz_9R3DZ4vQ[/youtube]

Ouch..
looks like you were having fun.....your chase camera man was too, up to a point. :twisted:
hope he didn't lose too much skin.
nice job.

Oh man! I hope you're friend and his the goped scooter is okay.
Right up till his crash it looked like you and he were accelerating and decelerating pretty well around the streets in your neighborhood.
And the motor on the Stinky sounded pretty good too (at least from what I could tell from the short footage).
Congrats. Nice build!

Thanks! Yea he's fine, just some scrapes and bruises.

Superb! that doesnt sound loud at all? very nice indeed, I must say I winced at the bit where your buddy fell off the Goped glad to hear he is OK :) you have done a great job on this build top top marks, an Innovative and fresh idea, really nice to see.

Back