Surly Chromoly Torque Plate with Rear disc mount

Lemlux

100 W

As I was browsing Surly's web site I came across these "...heavy duty Instigator dropouts are investment cast /CroMoly and include International Standard disc mounts. They can be TIG-welded or fillet brazed."

http://surlybikes.com/parts/frame_building_parts/

I don't know how much weaker "investment cast CroMoly" is compared to stainless steel plate, but I sure like the potential to use a smaller diameter rear wheel on my 2004 Gary Fisher 229 frame with a disc brake. It appears that my dropout area has either two or three holes that can be drilled through and bolted to the Surly part as belt-and-suspenders support to a JB-Weld bonding.

What potential issues am I missing, if any?

They certainly wont be as strong or tough as rolled Cromo billet stock and will be much more prone to cracking ( cast grain structure).
also they dont look to be very thick ( 3-4 mm maybe ?) ...so not the ideal torque plate solution.
But a good find for disc conversion no the less. ! :)

Unfortunately, the plate / mounts may be unobtanium at the moment. They don't show in the Surley store inder frame parts so I've emailed a question about if and when they will be available at what pricing.

Surly advised that, although they don't sell these adapters in their web store, some dealers do stock them. MSRP is $37.

Back