The Electric Boat Thread

Hello, you posted the image of the Slipper Launch, do you have the plans for that boat? it looks like its about 11 feet long. What can you tell me about it, did you ever build it and how did it turn out if you had a chance to run it.

Thx
Gary

Hello Jeremy, seen this project of yours. Have you finished it or is is ongoing? I have a boat myself and was thinking of doing something similar but i didn't want the hassle of making the shaft and today i came across this trimmer pole with shaft. I dont know if it will work as not 90 degrees angle on it. I will try and use a conditioner fan motor from audi. It has big terminals so i suppose they can put out some power. I am making this budget so trying to use what i can find for little money.
My question is, how yours diy prop worked out? is it ok in the water or should i look for some oem made?
Regarding powering the motor, is there a way to do away without controller and still control speed and limit power DIY style cheap?
I want to use two of my makita batteries, so 6ah at 18V for testing at first.
This is the assembly i want to use:
20130524_114647.jpg

20130524_114654.jpg

http://www.goldenmotor.com/eBoat/frame-eboat.htm

I'm also busy with a new electric outboard project.

I have made a few attempts but they all make too much noise, because I work with an old outboard motor, they al have about a gear reduction of 2:1 and my goal is to reach about 30 km/h topspeed, that means whatever I do there is always old motor shaft that needs to spin around 6000 rpm for boat prop 3000 rpm, I'm afraid this will always make some noise, since 6000 rpm will never be silence.

But this goldenmotor project seems to be pretty silence

If you want to build a silent propulsion system you must use direct drive, meaning no gearbox or coggwheels of any kind.
The simplest way is to watertighten and submerge the whole motor as it dampens a lot of noise besides keeping it cool.
Just like the regular electric trolling outboard but a whole lot stronger.

Another important noise factor, yet overlooked, is motor type and choice of controller.
Do not use brushed motors as the brush drag creates a lot of noise. Use a good BLDC with silent bearings.
Regarding controllers it important to go sinusoidal as a regular trapetsoidal waveform is very noisy in comparison.

Back