The Heavyweight (Hub Motor Build)

I really want to see pics of your solar panel powered trailer when it's done!

Vulthor said:
I really want to see pics of your solar panel powered trailer when it's done!

Will be posting all about it when it happens!

Made some axle extensions at work today for the truck on my trailer

Yep, just threads on.

Took a 76mm piece of stock and made a duplicate of what is on the end of the truck already (7.92mm shaft with 5/16-24 threads), than flipped it around and drilled and tapped the 5/16-24 threads on the inside to about 30mm deep, than came in after with an 8mm drill bit and took the threads out to about 20mm leaving 10mm of thread at the bottom of the hole. After about 20min on the lathe and you have an extension.

Wouldn't suggest doing this to any truck that is being ridden normally though, cast trucks are notorious for bending as it is, and the added leverage will do it that much quicker, since this is only being used for a trailer there should be no problems.

2nd coat of seal.

And tomorrow it will be painted white to finish it all off. All in all am pretty happy with how it turned out

Settled in Australia now, and had some time to find a board for my trailer and set it up. Rode around with a 14 year old kid to test it out and everything held up well, a little interesting to get going with all the extra weight, but once you are moving it is quite easy to push. Will have to get some stiff bushings into the trucks to keep the trailer from rocking side to side too much.

As far as the main board setup, definitely should have done more layers of carbon fiber, it is far too flexible for my liking. Luckily I brought all my supplies with me on the plane, so in the next coming weeks when time is available am going to put hardwood strips around the battery space and lay down another 2 layers of carbon to get this deck nice and stiff.

Hopefully onloop will have his bigger space cell ready soon and than I can get some juice to these hub motors.

Stay tuned

Awesome...

Definitely need to have an aussie meet up soon...

As soon as I get back from holiday I will have the 10S4P sent to me.... maybe I should just get two f them sent?

Yea man sounds good to me, let me know how much you are asking for the larger space cell as well as an email so I can paypal you some money. If you feel confident about the quality you can just get them to ship it straight to me too, if it makes it any easier.

Congrats on the move and your setup is looking great! I'm surprised you are getting much flex at all with the CF reinforcement!!

I went back and see you ended up doing 6 layers total on the bottom only right? 3 in battery compartment, then 3 over the entire deck? Are you thinking of adding additional layers to the top to see if that gives you more stiffness, or additional layers to the bottom?

Luck to you Freshair!!

Thanks man!

Yea, more than likely it is because the fibers are not sandwiched together perfectly, there are a few areas that had more resin than fiber unfortunately. Am going to screw hardwood strips along the perimeter of the battery space basically boxing it in, and than put two more full layers of carbon fiber down on top that, which will end up working out good in the long run for putting a cover over top of the battery and vesc's. My g-bomb brackets have a little flex to them, so the deck can be solid as a plank.

Small update, still not electric..... but am slowly reinforcing the deck to make it stiff as possible. Ordered some 6K carbon twill, this stuff is incredibly thick compared to the unidirectional carbon I was using previous, pretty sure if I had of used this stuff off the bat this deck would be the desired stiffness. Oh well, live and learn. At least now I have a real nice enclosure area for the larger space cell that onloop will hopefully be selling soon.

Back