The "thermal management of LiPo" thread!

I've only seen an 26650 pack immersion cooled, but the Koenigsegg Regera appears to use immersed (or "flooded") pouch cells: https://www.koenigsegg.com/regera/

Cooling any battery will make it last longer.

This, like "using a BMS will make any battery last longer" ignores an important factor: Chinese quality. Many, many people have lost packs early in their projected cycle life because the BMS malfunctioned and killed them. Likewise, a cooled pack becomes subject to increased risk of liquid infiltration (and possibly fire) that doesn't even normally exist. Using a pack that's large enough that it isn't under too much thermal or charge/discharge stress, and keeping it generally between 25% and 80% SOC, is the best way to prolong battery life.

Hermetically sealed cells (i.e. any one made correctly) isn't at risk of liquid infiltration. Risks of electrical shorts from coolant contacting electrical connections in the pack are mitigated by using a non-conductive coolant.

For sure, an active cooling system on a small pack doesn't make sense - the mass and volume of the cooling system would be better spent on more battery to lower C-rates. However, that's less true on larger packs, which are also less able to shed heat effectively by natural convection AND those packs are expected to last 10+ years AND they have to cope with extreme environmental conditions which can ONLY be done with active heating and cooling.

The average ebike doesn't expect any of the above so a thermally-unmanaged pack is acceptable.

In the future cells might more tolerant of high & low temperatures and have such a low IR they don't generate meaningful heat when charged/discharged and so not require thermal management. I think we all look forward to those 1000Wh/kg, $10/KWh, 50 year lifespan cells 8)

Back