This Guy keeps running down ES on another forum

On several occasions he keeps referencing ES to posts that have no relevance to his posts or this site site and it's really beginning to bug me. It's as if he is trying to discredit the site for some reason.

He's got a bad attitude and perhaps he brought that to ES and didn't like the response now he is on a vendetta to discredit this site.

Do a advanced google search and check out his frequent ES bashing posts. He also deliberately refers to the site as Endless "Fear".

He's on the UK leaf forum. The leaftalk advanced search is useless.

Here's just one example.

http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/12286-Battery-Ageing-Capacity-Loss-Model/page5

Quote from m1aws
Krona.
LMO .. I knew it had oxygen in it. (Oooerrr!)

I'll buy that. You are totally correct. Used the "Endless fear" forum where they know everything and nothing.

End Quote.

The guy is a bit full of himself, and he probably has it wrong too. Shuttle charge is one thing, which sounds like balancing on the way up. That's fine and a better way to do it from an absolute efficiency standpoint than charging and bleeding off charge going to the cells that hit top of voltage first. That doesn't change the pack capacity limit away from being the capacity of the worst cell group. The ONLY was to get away from that would be an active shuttle balancing during discharge. That would be once a group gets low then it's actively propped up with essentially a charge current from the rest of the pack. It would be quite interesting if it were true, but I seriously doubt that's going on unless the BMS is so smart that it knows the weak cells and does it continuously throughout the discharge. ie if a group is known to have 10% less capacity, then during discharge it receives a charge current of 10% of the discharge current that is "shuttled" from the rest of the pack. It couldn't wait until the end of discharge to do it, because then it would require full discharge current flowing through the cell level balancing wiring and circuitry.

Ask Mr Knowitall if it does the shuttle balancing during discharge, and then put him in his place.

Some people just take criticism too personally.
He probably got cut down on a comment, like so many others - myself included. *shrug*

If you're proven wrong, you're wrong. If you still think you're right then go back and do a little research, or number crunching, or prototyping...whatever it is you're trying to prove. Come back with proof to prove your point or be humble and accept the failure so you don't make the same failure again.

There's a lot of mixed ideas and knowledge levels here. With the wealth of published tutorials and papers available to us online, there's no reason to take anyone's opinion as fact. Use opinion as a launching point for research and you'll never lose sleep over stupid internet arguments again.

+1 r3volved.
i have no knowledge, and i know that i do, and am quite happy to hear why my ideas wont work. if no one told me, id still be trying to figure out how to store energy using compressed air.

now im on to flywheels! :mrgreen:

yes, i have a deathwish.

When the reputation of ES depends on what people on the internet say, I'm outta here. He could be in 6th grade.

It would be interesting to know if he ever was a member here, and what his ES handle was. He joined that forum last summer.
Morph? Have we found you?

More likely he just couldn't stand the hoots generated by mentioning bottom balancing on this forum. We hardly know it all, I'm the poster boy for that.

If I ever learned one thing here, it's that there are many right ways to manage a battery pack. Some things are laws of physics right, like no windmill on the EV, or you can't recharge a 700wh battery in an hour with a 40 watt solar panel. All battery management strategies work best in one way, none work best in all ways.

For sure though, we don't collect a lot of bottom balance fans here. Guy talks like he read a lot of Jack. Doesn't talk like he read any Fetcher.

I wouldn't worry about it - there are posters here on ES that regularly run down the forum or groups of members - you don't have to go elsewhere. :)

dogman said:
Guy talks like he read a lot of Jack.
Yep, it seems that m1aws may be a disciple of Jack Rickard. Here is a 2011 post where m1aws comments on one of Jack's videos and where Jack's comments on the same page use the name 'Endless Fear'. The 'Endless Fear' moniker seems tied up with some old BMS/charging pissing matches between Jack and ES members - he notes the ES 'fear' of non-existent battery charging problems that can only be solved using a BMS which he claims is itself not only unnecessary but a danger to battery health.

• Interestingly, in the Sept 13 2013 EVTV show, Jack announces that he will begin selling the Safety BMS - which he describes as a solution in search of a problem for all those folks who insist on filling in the 'BMS checkbox' on their EV shopping list. He details a variety of requirements and outlines a design contest (winner to get a free battery pack and maybe a supply contract for his company). See the video at around 90 minutes or so - his Good Ole Boy prattling is pretty slow, so be patient.... :D

Anyhow - Jack still doesn't believe in BMSes, but he'll be selling his own special BMS that is 'different' because it can also monitor voltage, current, and temperature and so has other intrinsic value beyond the totally unnecessary BMS functionality... We could say he's changing horses, but he would simply say it's not really a horse...
I don't want to misconstrue m1aws' posts to EVTV as drinking Jack's Koolade, but it looks like Jack may be the source of the term...

Anyhow - don't worry about m1aws - these name-calling bouts can't be won by any technical or non-technical argument and as always say more about the poster than the target of the derision...

teklektik said:
but it looks like Jack may be the source of the term...

he's hardly the furst & m1aws won't be the last.
just wish they come up with something more original not even worthy of the sixth grade, more like 2nd.
'my 1 ass wants sex'.
see, anybumbuddy can join in. :mrgreen:

not telling scorp what to do...
but i would suggest deleting your post over there (if you can) in keeping with mr. moose's plea for a kindlergentler sphere.
sides he's only half wrong.
i'm definitely sure we know more than nothing, as i am equally sure we don't know everything, since, uh, there are known unkowns & some of those unknown nouns, umm... i mean, won't get fooled again.

He rambles on doesn't he ?

I got a lot of help on this forum and I don't think I got bad or wrong advice. I had a lot of fun because of the knowledge I acquired here and that can't be a bad thing ?

I didn't burn anything being a LiPo newbie because I followed the advise I got here even though it scared the bejesus out of me at first. Sure I fried other stuff and broke things and had to repair it but that's part of the fun.

What some people have put together in their sheds is amazing and then willing to share their knowledge is what this site is all about. So yeah it does annoy me when this git keeps referring to the Sphere as "fear" as if to say that the information on this site is wrong, or he knows a lot more, but that isn't even the point. ES helps people get into a new hobby and there is always help and advice on hand, and that's no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

http://blog.evtv.me/2013/07/the-thrill-of-victory-and-the-agony-of-the-feet/

Jack the Rickard said:
. . . .we have lost the war most entirely. I concede defeat reluctantly, petulantly and never with good grace. But it is time to finally admit, I was wrong about the Battery Management Systems and/or Battery Monitoring System issue.

I'd say your m1aws has to be at least drinking Jack the Rickard's koolaid, if he's not the Rickard himself.

Meanwhile, will Jack the Rickard find himself having to admit he was WRONG with all the 'Endless Fear' comments and that there's a difference between fear and good logical concern?

Thinking back, I remember how intimidating ES was when I first joined. As raw as a noob gets, I understood nothing I read for months. At that time the really smart bunch spent more time discussing things here, and I was barely able to understand what a watthour was then. That's part of why I try to respond to all the noobs with a simplified recommendation. Many don't want to understand, they just want to ride and not melt what they bought.

Reading some of our threads, they do get endless fear that ebikes melt down. They sure do when you set out determined to melt one like many of us have. And you should have some fear, or at least a healthy respect, if you choose low quality cheap lico batteries from some hobby retailer.

for the first few months when i started reading this forum, i was under the impression that lithium was a housefire waiting to happen, and melted motors were a regular occurance. but people mostly discuss problems, not the 1000s of kms they had with no issues.

dogman, you do a fantastic job as noob ambassador. keep up the great work!

It's all I'm good for, the simple stuff even I understand. Ya still have to check my math every post though. :roll:

I never really bought into the whole bottom balancing is bad idea. It's one of many methods, all of which are not perfect. I just never liked Jacks "my way is the only way" attitude. What really amazes me is the guys who think a battery .01v out of balance means anything. You need to rethink your dod if that fine a difference matters.

I don't understand plugging in a bms, and then blindly trusting it either. You check the oil level on your car engine even if it never leaked before right? Trust, but verify. :idea:

Back