Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

It is my opinion that the key challenge with fuel cells is the fuel.
If it is hydrogen then.

Ya gota make hydrogen. You just cant find it somewhere and take/store it.

You have to crack the hydrogen from something else like water to get at it. It is not available in its free form.

What that = is it takes energy to make hydrogen. Thats upstream cost.

Until we find a energy efficient way to refine hydrogen its a loosing proposition.

OK so that device your talking about runs on methane. Why not just make it run on gasoline? That would be more convient.
If your are talking methane then just go with some other fuel.

The key point is, why burn oil gas or coal or nuke rods to make hydrogen? You are just using one energy to make another.

Microbatman said:
It is my opinion that the key challenge with fuel cells is the fuel.
If it is hydrogen then.

Ya gota make hydrogen. You just cant find it somewhere and take/store it.

You have to crack the hydrogen from something else like water to get at it. It is not available in its free form.

What that = is it takes energy to make hydrogen. Thats upstream cost.

Until we find a energy efficient way to refine hydrogen its a loosing proposition.

OK so that device your talking about runs on methane. Why not just make it run on gasoline? That would be more convient.
If your are talking methane then just go with some other fuel.

The key point is, why burn oil gas or coal or nuke rods to make hydrogen? You are just using one energy to make another.

Firstly, seeing as though this fuel cell runs on methanol (not methane) which is a hydrocarbon chain chemical, the bi-product is likely to be a carbon based gas (C02 etc). This is definitely a not a carbon free fuel cell technology for cars/bikes. However Hydrogen fuel cells have water as their bi-product and do have potential as a carbon-free source of energy release.
The fact that the company is developing the product for the small/lightweight consumer electronics industry where the small energy requirements shows their understanding of this as they are not developing their product for the transportation industry where their product would still produce substantial carbon emissions.

True, both batteries and fuel cells only store energy, they don't make it or capture it out of nothingness as this is impossible. Energy can only transferred not created or destroyed (nuclear fission/fusion are a different ballgame and almost assuradley unsafe for mass transportation).
The potential advantage of hydrogen fuel cells over batteries is greater energy density per unit volume and weight, and/or a greater energy density per $ than even the most cutting edge lithium batteries/ultra-capacitors. So they should not yet be discarded as an avenue for further research. However presently lithium batteries seem to be advancing rapidly on the cost and capacity basis due to the ready availability of raw ingredients needed for cell production. Something that cant yet be said for Hydrogen fuel cells. Due to this i am personally becoming increasingly skeptical that hydrogen fuel cells will ever be practical.

Either way, the real challenge facing humanity's transportation requirements is not the energy storage mechanism so much as making sure the supplied refueling energy comes from CO2-free renewable sources. Either feeding the electricity grid directly to charge our e-bike/e-car batteries at home, or through other processes such as using mirror magnified sun-rays to produce thermal reactions of chemicals which can be turned into carbon neutral/carbon free liquid fuels.

I agree that all the talk about cars "running on water" or "just add hydrogen" is simplified and naive green-washing propaganda that neglects to mention where the energy is sourced from to make the Hydrogen/electricity in the first place. If this energy is produced by coal fired power stations then we are just shifting emissions from petroleum to coal = Stupidity.

In a nutshell: Its the source of energy thats the BIG problem, not the storage solution.

Mostly, nowdays they make hydrogen out of oil or natural gas anyway. All it does is keep tailpipe emissions located elsewhere. As far as using green electricity to make hydrogen, it's cheaper to charge a battery. But hydrogen fuel cell vehicles have thier place, like taxi's busses, delivery trucks, any vehicle driven more than 100 miles a day making batteries less practical.

0.736 pounds per ampere hour at 48V (16s). That's very good. Sample pricing is $250.00 per 12 cells or $1750 for a 22 aH pack (cells only). That's very bad.

Maybe instead of working long and hard to overcome the many obstacles and shortcomings of Hydrogen Fuel Cell batteries, we should work as long and hard on a technology that actually wouldn't severely deplete our planet's resources and be so tricky to use. There is more than one reason to make things efficient and idiot-proof. For one thing, we're all idiots almost all of the time, so idiot-proof operation of vehicles and power supplies would be ideal. Also not having to use lots of energy to store only a small amount before having to use more energy to replace the container that stores the energy would be better. Alkaline batteries are an example - lot's of single-use cells are used once and thrown into the land fills simply because no one complains and the battery corporations make a hefty profit from it.
In no way would I tell anybody that carbon nanotubes are the thing to increase capacity of our batteries and capacitors and save our planet, but even if we were to replace our entire fossil fuel infrastructure with lithium batteries which need replacement we'd be ahead of the game. And yes a lithium powered electric passenger plane could be engineered into existence. And it would be no more expensive to run if all planes used lithium. The environment wouldn't be super happy for all the lithium manufacturing and recycling, but again - we'd be ahead of the game.
Hydrogen stores a lot of energy and it produces fairly harmless by-products. Unfortunately it's not so hot in the ease of use or practicality departments.

There was a breakthrough in electrolysis earlier this year -- over 95% efficiency if I remember correctly. Unfortunately most hydrogen fuel cells are still around 40% efficient at converting the hydrogen back to electricity, and they're still prohibitively expensive for the power they can produce. But at least the total system efficiency is getting closer to the average ICE. Might be better than an ICE if your electricity source is hydroelectric or similar.

The good thing about fuel cells is that the expense of increasing energy capacity is a logarithmic function. Once the cell is big enough to meet your power needs, that's most of your cost. If you want to increase energy capacity, you just get a bigger fuel container. With batteries, the capacity to expense ratio is linear.

...NEI will synthesize electrode materials with high capacity (>200mAh/g) and a large working voltage range (3.0-4.8V) to meet NASA's ultra high energy density application requirements.

online:
http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=7173

PDF:
http://www.neicorporation.com/PDFs/aeronautical.pdf

>200mAh/g

wow!! that'S 800Wh/kg!!! 7 times the LiFePO4 !!!!

if they cost 7 time the price i'm interested! :mrgreen:

Doc

that much ??

I was trying to compare to the M1's:
Core cell weight: 70 grams
Nominal capacity: 2.3Ah

70 x 200 = 14000mah

Has anyone heard of :
Apogee Power Inc.

press release url:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/01/prweb1832014.htm

Batteries can be charged with current NiCd, NiMh chargers
More output per charge cycle (tests show 200% more performance per charge)
Higher Torque
Longer useful life (2000 cycles, no memory effect compared to 400 for NiCd)
Lightweight
100% environmentally sound, non-toxic
3.2V up to 72V available
Price competitive to NiCd, NiMh
Flame proof, won't burn
Batteries run cool (unlike NiCd which needs to cool before being recharged)
Quick 15-minute charge feature

Working with Pihsiang Energy Technology C-LiFePO4 batteries and Sanyo high power density LiCoO2 cells Apogee has deployed over 3000 cordless power tools with astounding performance results.

These guys just buy the cells from PHET and Sanyo and their value-add is probably just the BMS and maybe a capacitor buffer to improve peak current performance. Not sure what's patentable about that...

Think the RC world is on the cutting edge with their 40C packs? Check this out, 100C continuous, 250C pulse. Discharge your batteries in 14 seconds. LOL!

http://www.saftbatteries.com/doc/Documents/defence/Cube769/VL12V%20Data%20Sheet.c7de671e-cdc6-46aa-9a9e-993b776e3c6f.pdf

Good luck getting your hands on those.

And, good luck getting one cell without taking out a second mortgage.

Military usually gets the best stuff years before we do.

Same goes for Lithium titanate technology from AltairNano. The Navy has big contracts with them for battery backups on ships and submarines. If you want one of their cells for a civilian project, you'll have to buy a $45,000.00 Phoenix, and canabilize it. :shock:

And where did this discovery come from?

A computational simulation. Don't ya love computers? I do.

As they said, now they just need to improve the electrode material to allow for an upto 10x improvement in energy density and that'll be the nail in the ICE's coffin(For personal transportation use, although I can even see truckers using these improvements as well, in the long run.).

This is a duplicate of this thread:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9099&p=140700&hilit=A123#p140700
Olaf, I don't think they've built the battery that MIT published in Nature yesterday? Or have I misunderstood you?

paultrafalgar said:
This is a duplicate of this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9099&p=140700&hilit=A123#p140700
Olaf, I don't think they've built the battery that MIT published in Nature yesterday? Or have I misunderstood you?

If you read the article fully, I think you'll find mention that they have the prototype in the lab already built and functioning and it may only be a few years from commercialization. By "prototype", though, they're probably talking about small-quantities, relatively low-amps, etc. Unless there's problems in scaling it, it shouldn't be too hard to make e-vehicle equivalents.

Oh! Whoops! OPEC bought it! :D
Only kidding!
Don't hold you breath!

400C rate !!! :shock:

i'm sorry guys... but this time i'll need major investment to be able to test them!!! :lol:

ex: A123 2.3Ah at 400C... 1000A at ? volt drop?

OMG !! what RI they could have??? uOhms ??

Doc

Back