Throttle blocks gear shifters??

olemetry

10 W
Can someone help? I cannot be the only person with this problem. I have a Specialized Rock Hopper with thumb and trigger shifters on both the left and right. I figured I didnt want a thumb throttle since I alread have a thumb shifter, so I opted for a twist throttle. THis allows me shift thumb on the left, but not my trigger finger. It is a Mac twist throttle with a green or red button on it. Either way, How do yall go about getting around this conflict? ANy ideas are welcome. THanks!!!!

There are different solutions for different needs and bikes.

Here is a thread you might find helpful.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26288&hilit=+handlebars

On my first build I had trigger shifters and it worked okay with a thumb throttle. You definitely ended up with a bad combination of twist throttle and trigger shifters though. Especially if you have the buttons and stuff on your throttle too. If I were you, I would probably try and get one of the small thumb throttle (no switches or leds) and use that instead of the full twist you have now.

A picture of your shifters would help. But, it sounds similar to what was on my recumbent bike. I had to use a thumb throttle, which was put on the handlebar ahead of the shifter and maybe ahead of the brake also. Once everything was oriented just right it worked fine. I did add a little extension on the end of the handlebar in order to fit everything before the first "bend". The extension was just a piece of pipe shoved into the handlebar end with a piece of an old handlebar over it, and all held in place by the grip on that side.

Step one is often just mounting the throttle about 3/8" further out the handlebar. Move the shifter and brake handle in as far as it will go first.

If it turns out you have a handle about 1.5" long at that point, then shove a broomstick into the handlebar end, and lengthen the bar another inch or so.

In some cases, you can tighen up some by tweaking or shaving the shifter thumb levers so they clear a bit better.

You get used to not getting as many fingers on the brake handles pretty quick. long as you have the first two strong fingers on em, you are ok.

I mount my throttle on the left side, since I don't use a front shifter, and my last 5 ebikes were left mounted and I got used to it.There is more real estate on the left than the right side some of my bars are under 600mm.

On my bike I had to file the edge of the shifter triggers to clear the throttle body. I took a few mm off and everything cleared and is very usable. There is still plenty of strength in my shifter leavers (plastic) and they have not failed after several years.

Back