Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

HZA, 100 pages :mrgreen:

AussieJester said:
The bender dents the tubing worse than the thicker tubing used on the cruiser too, shall smear some bondo over it be fine

How does that go with slight flexing of the frame while jarring around over lumps and bumps ? Doesn't split and crack ? I guess you'll have to paint this one rather than powder coat it ?

Hi Kim,

I see you have now started work on a new build, as I have followed your other builds I was just wondering due to the nature of your disability if you'll (you probably will) be adding those fancy auto stabilisers? I'd have thought that you would have been more suited to your Trike build.

All the best with the new build - which I and a good few other members will be following :wink:

Regards
Tom

happy 100th page..............

[youtube]HQRoRw9qetA[/youtube]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1 on the new frame shape. I want to make a 'horses of iron/steam punk' style bike(I think lock might just be obsessed) eventually, and they kind of share similar frame charactoristics as your new frame design. Have fun on the west side, Im off to work again, might snap some pics of my little tonka's :wink: .

Cheers
Rodger

FrankG said:
WTF Kim!?!?!

I bugger off for a month or 3 and this thread is @ 100pgs AND you're building yet another bike???

The next rainy day I guess I'll have to back track 40 pages or so to get up to speed on this thread.

All the Best!

FrankG!!!111 are you home for awhile now got fish pics nice trout mate! And yes time for a new bike Frank,
Thud is building me a nice strong 2 speed box, the 'frock killing 2 Speed Thudster Box' :p i like
to call it, he is also rewinding my 'toy' motor for a lil more punch replacing bearings and shaft
for a lil more strength :: wink :: I'll catch you up on Skype when your free anywayz mate :)

Just started doing some work on the frame, cold and miserable day today after week of beautiful weather-->

IMG_5510.jpg

Cut tubes to approximate size will profile all the ends set up in jig and weld him up
before starting on the rear...the wheelbase is 200mm shorter than my cruiser, i'll
get some front wheel off the ground actions even if it kills me :mrgreen:

I must start a new thread for this build i will definitely do so tonight ...

Mr Recumpence SiR
i do need another actuator but a short one unfortunately
or i would gladly give the "brother" of the one in the cruiser a new home haha..
Bit shorter frame this time Matt so need a actuator with a couple of inch of movement for the
stabilizers i have planned...I will buy one of the smallest actuators from Servo City unless someone comes up with a cheaper
with equal specs and quality?

Back with more laterz

KiM

olaf-lampe said:
Hi AJ,
nice looking new frame. 8)
Do you plan to put the batteries in the upper part of the frame? I guess you'll notice a huge difference in handling against your 1st chopper.
Since I put my battery on a lower place, I'm much faster in corners. But my pack weight almost 20lbs/9kg.

-Olaf

I shall be splitting packs between the top section and the lower section, i have the weight of the actuator/stabilizing gear/2 speed Thudster box all in the lower section to 'counter' the weight up top, and yes my pack is close to half weight of yours so i doubt it will effect the
handling much if at all, motorcycles have fuel up high motor low haha pretty much same as i am doing when you think about it...about to start up new thread now i went to bed 7.30pm last night wasn't feeling well.

KiM

EDIT: new thread for new build

rodgah said:
I want to make a 'horses of iron/steam punk' style bike(I think lock might just be obsessed)...
Oh, so watt? Now obsessions are bad??? Hehe... It's about fusion. The melding of technologies to make new shiny things.
The steampunks enjoy bits of that Victorian/Edwardian time when transportation etc "exploded"... Steam and electrics and infernal combustion machines competed to motorize carriages and bicycles. Makers concerned themselves with very low power density devices... and unfortunately at the time petroleum oil refiners were dumping waste by-product (gasoline) for which there was no market. One hundred years later electrics (motors, accumulators, power electronics) are catching up... We're seeing the same evolutionary (revolutionary?) times over again. While vested interests promote 20th-century car culture, the real electric action has been on two-wheels... I think its freakin' awesome watts going on these daze with electrics. If folks "punk" their electric rides, it's just adding sizzle to the steak.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program :mrgreen:
L0ck

I had the pleasure to catch up with forum member Timma aka Paul for a few hours today! ... His electric Norco is superb, i took a few snaps of our bikes together and a heap more close ups of Pauls awesome build along with some video of the Norco->

____________ WARNING....Frock Motor Free Zone Below This Line____________... :mrgreen:
IMG_5623.jpg

One for road and one for dirt hehehe :mrgreen:

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

Heres a few clips I took out the front of my place along with a couple of stills...

[youtube]a_p8M056IsE[/youtube]
yes i am aware i missed the 'm' in polymer my apologies...

Look forward to a ride with you soon Paul :)

KiM

AussieJester said:
I had the pleasure to catch up with forum member Timma aka Paul for a few hours today! ... His electric Norco is superb, i took a few snaps of our bikes together and a heap more close ups of Pauls awesome build along with some video of the Norco->

____________ WARNING....Frock Motor Free Zone Below This Line____________... :mrgreen:
IMG_5623.jpg

One for road and one for dirt hehehe :mrgreen:

IMG_5618.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

Heres a few clips I took out the front of my place along with a couple of stills...

[youtube]a_p8M056IsE[/youtube]
yes i am aware i missed the 'm' in polymer my apologies...

Look forward to a ride with you soon Paul :)

KiM

LOVE that bike, any chance of seeing it climbing in the dirt?

Tis a beauty to be sure!! :mrgreen:

Would also like to see how it climbs and performs off road as well, looks the part big time, its great fun meeting up with fellow ebikers something we should all do more of when we all can, thanks for the vids AJ nicely done.

Knoxie

Yes it is a damn fine example of what can be done if you have skills and machi...erm well skills Paul only really had a drill press and hand files to do this, he snuck into his former workplace to do the welding IIRC... I made a blunder on the ESC too its not a HV160 its a HV140 Castle esc... I also had more video but my camera is doing funning things, i watched the footage on the camera then cut it from the memory card to pc and lost 3-4 clips i took WTF..time for a new camera i think, this ones been drops haha even hit it with the blade of an rc heli...when my mate was hanging onto it...

Performance wise, this thing would climb the side of a house with its 9 speed gears hahaa A race...it would come second in a drag with my cruiser, the cruiser is faster from getting off the mark and to top speed as i can put on full power from the start, Paul can't with shorter wheel base bike...Its apples and oranges here fellas, the Norco was built for climbimg trails and it will do that extremely well, i built mine for fast acceration, it wouldnt get 10 foot on a trail before getting stuck haha...Paul does have plans though to increasing wheelbase length on the future builds to stabilise them more at speed and help counter the flipping haha these things are so pokey your on your ass so quick...as Deec has found out now LOL...And remembering fellas, This is his FIRST ebike!!! can you imagine how bad ass his second will be :shock: I have heard much of the plans for his future custom frames, you guys are going to be blown away.

Was definitely great to catch up with another e-bike tragic, we laughed and joked about the money we spend on our hobby, every last cent
goes into building these bikes. Paul is such an easy going bloke your typical Aussie, he was going to pop in for a quick visit before heading down South to see his new boss, rocks up at my place around 11am before we know it its 2.30pm in the arvo and Paul was meant to meet his new boss at 3pm 2 hours drive away down South of the state hahaha...

You have the benchmark pics above for high performance STEALTH rc motored downhill e-MTB...go fourth and
see if you can raise the bar gents... :wink:

KiM

Got word from Castle Creations today, replacement CC HV160 has been mailed
to me, obvioulsy (for those following Thuds rewind thread and my other worklog) I have no motor
as yet, also waiting on servo tester/BEC kit from Recumpence. Have to give a menbtion to Castle Creations for their
service, yes it took them awhile but they have been in the process of moving shop so can be forgiven for the delay...
135 bucks for paid warranty replacement regardless of how the esc is used is a great deal IMHO.

Back when i have more anywayz...

KiM

Dang, I thought you shut this thread down, and here I see you and Timma burnin' one down! :twisted: Man, that thing sounds soooo quiet, is it really stealth Kim? Not even close to yours is it? So for anything over 20 it looks like standard mt bike wheelbase is no go at these power levels, do you guys have any suggestion for up to 30 mph? What would be ideal wheelbase?

Also, I totally agree that the CC return policy is brilliant, for them so they can see what component is failing and what to make stronger, and for us so we can fry them and replace. Win Win :mrgreen:

etard said:
Man, that thing sounds soooo quiet, is it really stealth Kim?

Yup it is that quiet you wouldn't hear it if he came up behind you, as i have been saying all along "rc" motor setups don't have to be noisy, don't take mine as 'the standard' Its lil undergeared for the hills here and will scream its box off at full rpm which i absolutely love, the turbine noise at full throttle is scwheet schweet music too me. For example of how quiet they can be, another Endless Sphere members Turnigy 130kv setup-->

[youtube]_wK0YxKIHLo[/youtube]

Now i understand the frock fan bois get instant bionic hearing soon as they purchase a frock so its will be too noisy for them, for the rest of us though i think we could handle it :p

OK..I ordered another V2 130Kv motor for this cruiser, the old blown one as most will know has been rewound and will be used on the new bike.

View attachment IMG_5876.jpg

View attachment IMG_5877.jpg

View attachment IMG_5878.jpg

I have to say the windings on this motor in comparison to those on my V1 Turnigy are 100% improvement, very tight no loose wiring, i was about to pull it down and add additional glue to the magnets, instead i grabbed a torch and had a lil peak and was pleasantly surprised to see nice build up of glue either side of the magnets running their length, undid all the external bolts applied some loctite...shes ready to bolt up onto the cruiser first thing in the a.m...i will be mobile again before Lunch wootz...

KiM

So i went to fit up the new V2 Turnigy 80-100 130kv motor this morning
all happy i would be riding again in an hour or less only to find Turnigy have gone and changed
the spacing between the motors mounting holes, they are ~3-4mm narrower than the old V1 motors.
Long story short, if you have a Recumpence drive and its been made to fit the older Turnigy it will not fit
the new motors, I can't see a way around this either, there isn't enough 'meat' on the redeciton drive mounting
to 'relieve/re-drill etc...to make the V2 Motor fit.

View attachment 1

If you tilt the motor diagonally two holes will line up, however i wouldn't
recommend mounting these motors with only two bolts (you will need longer
bolts than provided also the holes are recessed lower than the old motors)

The 12mm shaft of these big Turnigys leaves little room between the gap for the shaft in the reduction drive and
the mounting holes, my plan of attack is to entirely fill the elongated mounting hole of the reduction drive
with Aluminium Devcon and then re-drill the mounting holes, other than having Matt make a new
piece i see no other easy option :-( One could obviously drill and re-tap the motor end plate but
getting the stator off to do so would require heating the shit out of the motor likely damaging the
windings...

Back with update on this tomorrow (will take overnight for the Devcon to set)

KiM

p.s I have advised Matt of this situation in case he wasn't aware so when new customers order Matt will be aware of the problem.

If you want to send me that mount plate, I'd be happy to tig it up and drill the proper bolt pattern in it.

My experience with epoxy based stuff is that it only works when you don't really need it to and it also doesn't like temperature changes because of the different thermal expansion rates.

Kim,
#1- the end cap will come of that motor with the 4 bolts.(it looks like you took the inside 4 cap screws out, that are retaining the outer motor mount cap....you can give that a slight twist & it will fall off with those bolts out) its just there holding the skirt bearing inner race. will popright off for modding....

now the easy way:=the shaft is way long on these motors. fab an adaptor plate out of 6mm hick alluminum plate & bolt to the motor using the outer wide spaced holes & flathead screws. turn it 40 or so degrees * mark wher you nee to line up with matts reduction mounts.....you should have enough shaft.....if not there is plenty sticking out the other end....just make some new flats & extend it further through the motor.....

think it over & it should make sence. Good Luck

hmmnn that means the new 2 speed prolly has holes in the old locations also....unless the outer wide spaced pattern is the same. (i can't recall which i used atm)

Don't be in a rush, there are several options. Make an Aluminum plate, and have 8 flush-mount bolts, 4 facing each direction (use a countersink to make the funnel-shaped depression). Mount the 4 flange bolts in the plate, and then bolt the plate to the motor with the other four. Then you have the motor and adapter plate in your hand with four bolts facing out in the proper spacing.

757.jpg

I had this brilliant idea, it just came to me out of the blue, heres the plan :mrgreen: "I will fab an adaptor plate out of 10mm thick aluminum plate & bolt to the motor using the outer wide spaced holes & flat head screws. turn it 40 or so degrees * mark where you need to line up with matts reduction mounts.....you should have enough shaft.....if not there is plenty sticking out the other end....just make some new flats & extend it further through the motor....."

hehee thanks ThudSTaR 8) Was indeed a brilliant idea i didn't even think of an adapter plate, so obvious too...came out a lil like this-->

IMG_5886.jpg

IMG_5890.jpg

IMG_5893.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Worked a treat my ::cough:: "130Watt" Turnigy is mounted and ready to rip...

IMG_5897.jpg

just need to wire in Mr Recumpence SiR's servo tester/BEC kit and i will be mobile againz...oh...batteries are on charge, been sitting since it blew
they are ~0.5 out of whack, i have had them sitting on ~3.80v should be ready in an hour to go for a blat anywayz :)

Cheers Thudster for the excellent suggestion, thanks also mdd0127 for your offer and spinningmagnets, your idea is exactly what Thud suggested as far as i can tell? Thanks anywayz good that you are all on your toes hehe...

Back laters

KiM

I hadn't read Thuds suggestion till now! I just skimmed your post as soon as I saw it had some pics. I was thinking a longer rectangular plate, instead of a rotated square plate. Thuds idea is better, more belt-tension adjustment range that way...

Back