Unusual battery box

drsolly

100 W
I run with my batteries in a saddlebag, because in geocaching, I sometimes have to lift the bike over obstacles, so I like to have a quick and easy way to take the batteries off. I'm using Hobbyking 4S 25C 5000mAh hardcase batteries, and the hard case gives some protection against damage, but it's only thin plastic, so probably not a lot (I haven't experimented).

I found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231114227803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is, of course, a lunch box. But the size is perfect for me.

Loads of people seem to sell them, you'll probably find a vendor near you. It will hold eight of those batteries, giving me 8S 20,000 mAh, usually enough for a day's outing. The ebay page says they're made of tin, but actually they're steel (according to my magnet). The metal is thin (a bit like a biscuit tin), and it's obviously nowhere near as strong as an ammo can (which I also use, and which takes 12 batteries, with some foam to add more protection) but it has the advantage of being really light.

drsolly, Great idea and nice find. It says the outer Measurements: 11x20 x16 cms.
What is the inner measurements?

Being made of metal, it may actually save your bike/house in the event of a battery fire.

The advertisement says the box is made of Tin. I highly doubt this is true. Maybe tin plated steel.

It's just a little too small for my Lipo pack. I used an actual real .30 cal ammo box instead. Real ammo cans are much heavier and more expensive.

Yes, as I mentioned, it isn't tin, it's magnetic, so it's probably tin plated steel; remember, it's designed to contain food.

Various vendors give various dimensions. I suspect they're all the same product, people not measuring too carefully.

Outer dimensions 14.8 by 10.3 by 20 height-width-length
Inner dimensions 14.7 by 9.7 by 19.6

The metal isn't as thick as that makes it sound; there's a lip at the top (to stop small fingers from getting cut, I guess). I doubt if it would last long against a fire, it's very thin. I'm not going to test it; I bought it for a bit more protection against the possibility of me falling off the bike and the crash damaging the batteries (I fall off about once per year, usually because I did something stupid, if you want to hear about my idiotic instances of bike fall-off, I'll post). For heavy-duty work, I've got an ammo can that holds 12 of these batteries, plus some internal foam padding, and that's what I'll be using as my "big bad box".

Hobbyking 4S hardcase batteries are 13.9 by 4.5 by 4.4

So the box is just high enough, wide enough for two across, and long enough for four in a row.

Which is why I bought it :)

Lotta people have used the real ammo boxes. They work good. I carry my RC batteries different, but store them overnight in ammo boxes with holes drilled to direct any expanding gasses into my fireplace.

I also bought one of these, and it just arrived.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230833761829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's just the right size for eight Hobbyking 4S 20C 5000 mah hardcases, with a bit of extra space at the top. I think it's ex German Army. It's plastic, so wouldn't be much good in a fire, but it's a lot more sturdy that the thin metal box I mentioned before, so will give a lot more protection when I fall off the bike. Not as sturdy as an ammo can, but it has a couple of advantages. 1) it's a lot lighter than an ammo can 2) I can't find an ammo can that can take eight of those batteries. I have one that takes 12, useful for really long outings, and which fits neatly into one of these panniers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350801797078?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

But the lunch box and the German Army plastic box will fit into any of my panniers, and it also means I can divide the weight between the two panniers.

Back