Using femm

I haven't found any way to override the way FEMM is processing the stacking factor. I guess we should report it... Now I know what it's doing, I just set it to 1.

Hm, but then the model will not be accurate, right?

If you set it to what it is, the model will be accurate, it's just that the flux level in the presentation of the results is off with the same factor as the stacking factor.

bearing said:
Hm, but then the model will not be accurate, right?

If you set it to what it is, the model will be accurate, it's just that the flux level in the presentation of the results is off with the same factor as the stacking factor.
I'm not following... What's the difference between adjusting the wrong results as against adjusting the results of the wrong but known input? :)

I'm only using FEMM to get a better view of the flux density variations on the actual geometry.

With a higher stacking factor, the reluctance will change, so the flux will choose other paths.

As an extreme example, let's say you had a 50% stacking factor. With the bad reluctance, the flux in the corners of two magnets might choose to just walk the shortest path through the air between the magnets. But then when you increase to 100% stacking factor, that flux will walk into a tooth and out another tooth instead. Also, the flux density in the air gap will increase with the changed reluctance.

Probably not very important for you, since the difference between 0.93 and 1 is small, and by the way you are using it.

Back