Video Gymkhana FIVE:Ultimate Urban Playground; San Francisco

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

Wonder how burning rubber contributes to global warming.

Check the footage at about 6:30 of the car drifting close to/under a dirtbike doing wheelies:
The video features X Games RallyCross silver medalist Ken Block screaming across the Bay Bridge, through downtown and up Twin Peaks. At one point, Block shoots up Taylor Street and flies through the air before crashing down on the other side of the hill.
[youtube]LuDN2bCIyus[/youtube]
youtube said:
DC and Ken Block present Gymkhana FIVE: Ultimate Urban Playground; San Francisco.

Shot on the actual streets of San Francisco, California, GYM5 features a focus on fast, raw and precise driving action. Filmed over four days, director Ben Conrad and his team are back to work on their second Gymkhana production and delivered the entire city of San Francisco as Ken Block's personal gymkhana playground. DC Shoes also provided fellow DC athlete and longtime Ken Block friend, Travis Pastrana, to make a cameo appearance on his dirtbike, and S.F. resident Jake Phelps of Thrasher Magazine fame also makes a cameo as Block hoons S.F. in his most incredible Gymkhana yet.

For more information check us out at http://www.dcshoes.com/auto

The question I would like to know is how many takes did all of those set pieces require and how many body panels did he wreak in the process?

For an average driver he really does get a lot of attention. One thing is for certain he is no Loeb but I suppose no one else is either.

Hmm, nice video :D.

Not to put it down though, i think there's a thread somewhere here with this same video. After like 30 seconds (too me long enough) i realized i'd already seen it. Someone was saying he's this pretty rich guy, that's why he gets to go around and do this :). explains the average driver bit.

I wouldn't call him an average driver. At least not for where I live (gah!) But I would agree with "not amazing good driver" or "average of the good drivers/ general racers"

Kin said:
Hmm, nice video :D.

Not to put it down though, i think there's a thread somewhere here with this same video. After like 30 seconds (too me long enough) i realized i'd already seen it. Someone was saying he's this pretty rich guy, that's why he gets to go around and do this :). explains the average driver bit.

I wouldn't call him an average driver. At least not for where I live (gah!) But I would agree with "not amazing good driver" or "average of the good drivers/ general racers"

There are good drivers/racers that cannot do what Mr Block does, at the level of precision that he does. It requires lots of practice. Driving a car in a controlled fashion while under power induced oversteer is not something that comes with racing/driving experience. It comes from direct drifting practice. As a racer, he's average. (Pastrana can kick his ass in a race)

Jeff Gordon (amazing race driver) does nice big donuts after his victories but I guarantee you that he can't replicate these tightly controlled maneuvers.

To me, racers are like sprinters and drifters are like dancers. They are both bipedal activities (dancing and running), but being a good runner doesn't set you up for being a good dancer necessarily. So being a good race driver doesn't mean you'll be a good drifter, although one could be both.

Back