Voltbike Yukon

gepinniw said:
Esting said:
I hope you cleaned your bike like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2sKhSDrugE
More or less. I didn't use solvent. I'll have to pick some up, I guess. I also don't have a chain cleaner. I just used some elbow grease and a couple of brushes. It seemed to do the trick.
I'll tell you, I'm going to think twice before going for another ride in the mud. It's a real b%*#@ch to clean!

you do not now how please I am to here you say that.

Just when you think one know all about suspension I get to see this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WlRqcAQr2w

Esting said:
gepinniw said:
Esting said:
I hope you cleaned your bike like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2sKhSDrugE
More or less. I didn't use solvent. I'll have to pick some up, I guess. I also don't have a chain cleaner. I just used some elbow grease and a couple of brushes. It seemed to do the trick.
I'll tell you, I'm going to think twice before going for another ride in the mud. It's a real b%*#@ch to clean!

you do not now how please I am to here you say that.

Just when you think one know all about suspension I get to see this .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WlRqcAQr2w
That was interesting. That Cannondale you got should be a fun build. No chance of doing a hub motor, or are you committed to trying a mid drive?

I should be committed some where!
The Tangent Motor look so sexy, a good hub motor setup is in the $1400 USD and that is how I eddied up with Yukon the Tangent Motor is $1800 USD I am more familiar with the RC setup from my RC racing , we will see , am in the info gathering stage .

I found this manual on the display for the Voltbike Yukon , it is very hard to read.

I cleaned it up, rearranged and reformatted and made a PDF

Attachments

• Voltbike Yukon LCD_Manual_new.pdf
    638.6 KB · Views: 261
Esting said:
I found this manual on the display for the Voltbike Yukon , it is very hard to read.

I cleaned it up, rearranged and reformatted and made a PDF

That's awesome! The new version is much nicer. You should send a copy to George at Voltbike.

I'm learning to manage my battery better as time goes by. I find pedalling on power assist level 1 is more than I need in most cases. I often pedal with no power at all and just use the electric assist for a boost when getting back up to speed after a stop, for climbing hills, or for strong headwinds. If I get tired at the end of my ride, or just want to show off, I can use the higher assist levels, or go 100% throttle. With this pattern I can easily travel over 30 kms.
My new speed record is 49 kph on a downhill. I could've gone faster, but there was a red light at the bottom of the hill and I had to slow down. My town doesn't have many hills, so I'm not able to test the downhill capabilities too often. I'm certain I'll be able to get to 50-something if the conditions are right.
I'm planning a ride with a go pro soon. I'll post the video once I have it.
On a different note, I enjoy people's positive reactions to the bike. Lots of people are very excited by the technology and ask lots of questions. The best reactions come from kids. They tend to light up and and say "cool!" a lot. The bike is a double whammy. The fatbike aspect makes a big impression all by itself, and when you add the electric motor to it, you have something that is impressive to many people. Of course, there are also those sour apples (always adults) who say things like "well, that defeats the point of a bicycle, doesn't it?" I just ignore those types of reactions, which are in the minority.
I really need to get a seatpost suspension. The roads here are in horrible shape and my butt is paying a big price. Riding more and more, I am realizing just how bad the roads are. In a car you don't notice it as much. On a bike you see the crumbling roads up close and personal.

Just got back from a 20 km ride. I got up to 45.2 km/h on a flat road with a light tailwind (25 km/h). Bear in mind, that was with muddy tires (don't ask) on a fat bike. I still had two bars on the battery indicator when I got back. Loving this bike!
I did record a video, but it's pretty boring. Maybe I'll add some music and speed it up and post it anyway.

yes please post the video
I have managed 4 45km rides on PSA2 at 27km/h and have got 90km per charge my odometer is at 576km
I have not riden to much it has been very windy and rainy and I have been sick
I was planning on setting up my iPhone4 on the bike and use the GPS to verify the speedometer
have had problems finding a holder for it but still looking .

IMG_1317.JPGI'm just starting to ride more lately. My odometer is only at 220km.
Tonight I changed my stem and grips. I picked up an EVO stem and grips at Olympia on Portage. The bike is a lot more comfortable for me now - slightly more upright.
Switching these items was a breeze. The cables had ample slack. A simple, cheap and easy upgrade.
Next up - seatpost suspension! I'll probably order something tomorrow.
Then I'm getting a hub conversion kit for my wife. I want her to join me on some of my rides. As it is, I go too fast and too far for her to keep up.

These electric bikes are great, Ive got about 500k'ms on my 700c road bike now and it still makes me smile when i get on it. And now I've purchased a Giant brand mountain bike from Bikes and Beyond as well that this winter I may install a mid drive motor onto. Glad to hear your liking the Yukon, it was at the top of my list when i was considering electric.

gepinniw said:
I'm just starting to ride more lately. My odometer is only at 220km.
Tonight I changed my stem and grips. I picked up an EVO stem and grips at Olympia on Portage. The bike is a lot more comfortable for me now - slightly more upright.
Switching these items was a breeze. The cables had ample slack. A simple, cheap and easy upgrade.
Next up - seatpost suspension! I'll probably order something tomorrow.
Then I'm getting a hub conversion kit for my wife. I want her to join me on some of my rides. As it is, I go too fast and too far for her to keep up.

Lol took me a while to see that your username was Winnipeg spelled backwards. Please let me know which seat post suspension you go with! I recently bought the exact same bike and the potholes haven't been nice to my body but I'm loving everything about this bike. Also, is the stem 35 degrees? I've always had 6 degrees with my old mountain bike but since I'm spoiling myself with this ebike, I may as well invest and make it perfect. Looking forward to more of your updates!

Just got the Thudbuster ST. Purchased from Biktrix. Very, very nice indeed. It was vasy to swap out the urethane elastomer "spring" (I needed to switch to the denser #7 since I weigh about 200 lbs). When I opened the box I was initially disappointed because I didn't see the extra elastomer pieces. They were there, thankfully, in a little "hidden" compartment in the bottom of the box. I wonder how many people have tossed them in the recycling bin, not realizing they were there. Attaching the seat rails was a cinch as well.
Road bumps are significantly less jarring. There's a nice gentle rocking feeling as you ride. A big improvement for sure.
I also just received my rear rack and light (they weren't in stock when I purchased my bike). I think I'll just install the rack because I purchased a nice little battery powered rear light that suits my needs just fine, and wiring the stock light would appear to be a bit too much work for very little advantage.

Great weather lately, so I've been out and about enjoying the Yukon. I wiped out twice in two days, unfortunately. Both times I was on a rutted dirt track and I made the mistake at taking my eyes off the road. The first time I was watching some dirt bikers heading towards me and I lost traction on a big rut. I fell down and banged my noggin pretty hard. I was wearing a GoPro at the time, so I have it on film. The second time was yesterday. I was looking at a big hill that I was riding past. Again, I was distracted, I hit a rut, and down I went. I got a nice big scrape on my calf to remind me to not take my eyes off the road. No film for the second wipeout, but I did take pictures of my road rash. :roll:
On the bright side, apart from my fender getting knocked out of place and my chain falling off, the bike was unscathed. Let's hope I can say the same thing come wintertime. :?

Oh, and I also got to enjoy a nice long ride with no power recently. I had attached by battery to my charger, but I failed to plug in the charger. I didn't notice until I was 12 km into my ride and was almost out of juice. That ride was the first time I ever drained the battery completely. It was no big deal, I just kept the bike in a low gear and sweat a bit more than usual.

One last note - the Thudbuster ST is a godsend. So much more comfortable. Worth every penny.

Hey guys!

I just received my Yukon a few days ago and I've been having a blast. I'm really glad I found this post because I started fiddling around with the controller settings based on the instruction manual and I'd love to hear if you guys found any improvements from tweaking those settings.

A few things I found interesting so far:

1) My controller was set to 36V from the factory and when I changed it to 48V it seemed to accelerate a bit harder, not sure if this is normal or a placebo effect?
2) The factory current limit was set to 12A and I tried setting it to 15A, again not sure if I feel a real effect here, and also what is the limit of the motor/controller (instructions say max 20A, any reason not to just set it to 20A?)
3) I tried setting the wheel diameter from 26" to 13" to see if I get more top speed by tricking the controller. It was hard to tell b/c this messes up the speedometer reading but to me it seemed like the top speed didn't change much, makes me wonder if there's some other speed limiter kicking in somehow?
4) The max speed is set to 50km/hr from the factory, but I notice the power meter on the dash shows the controller kills the power at ~35km/hr with PAS level 5 anyways

Anyways, that's all I got for now, would appreciate whatever feedback you guys have!

Hi Everyone,

I am an absolute novice when it comes to biking. (Have owned many motorcycles over the years though.)

Looking at purchasing an ebike. I will be riding mostly on dirt roads and pavement.

I really like the look of the Voltbike Yukon but have been discouraged by many saying it is not the best bike for my intended use. I guess I would be better off with a mountain bike style of ebike?

Would I have a poor riding experience using the Yukon on pavement?

Thanks for any input on the above.

Hey Winnipeg Voltbikers,

I'm up in Yellowkinfe, NWT thinking about buying a Voltbike for year-round, including winter use. Winnipeg winters are almost as cold as ours - have you had the Yukon out in weather around minus 30 deg C?

I'm curious about how the geared motor holds up?

Back