VW Bug conversion thoughts: mating to the transmission/transaxle

VW bugs are very light weight and have way more style then a Leaf.

:)
⚡

Are you ignoring the importance of aerodynamics on purpose?
No, but I also started the sentence with "I think". I'm not trying to theorize every possible variable for a conversion that may or may not happen.

But to address your thoughts. I wouldn't be taking this car faster than 60 mph. And the leaf weighs 1500-2000 pounds more than the beetle, depending on what year you get. So yeah, aerodynamics matters, but I have no illusions about making a high performance machine

Still, it would be nice to score a Leaf motor, controller, battery pack for your project.

Last edited:
Still, it would be nice to score a Leaf motor, controller, batteryPack grit your project.
My projects are governed by what's cheap, available, and within my skillset (in that order) If a leaf motor makes itself available to me, Id certainly consider it

Last edited:
I left the clutch in the Prelude when I did that conversion, although I did upgrade it to an Exedy racing clutch. It was also a bit of an engineering challenge to get the adaptor plate perfectly aligned but probably easier than getting a coupler made true and straight. Besides, it's nice to have a mechanical fuse sometimes :)
The CRX is getting a Leaf motor and transaxle direct to the driveshafts, so there's some efficiencies to be gained.
I love conversions. As financially dumb as they are, I'd never talk someone out of doing one.

Just wondering: for a Bug conversion, is it practical to ditch the original transaxle and use an entire
electric motor-transaxle unit from a donor car? I guess a bunch of welding, etc, would be needed.

I have a Triumph Spitfire (which also has swing axles) that I imagine I might someday convert to electric.
I think it would be cooler to get rid of the original transmission, driveshaft, and diff, but it would require a
major redesign of the rear suspension, because there would be no more room for the transverse leaf spring.

Just wondering: for a Bug conversion, is it practical to ditch the original transaxle and use an entire
electric motor-transaxle unit from a donor car? I guess a bunch of welding, etc, would be needed.

I have a Triumph Spitfire (which also has swing axles) that I imagine I might someday convert to electric.
I think it would be cooler to get rid of the original transmission, driveshaft, and diff, but it would require a
major redesign of the rear suspension, because there would be no more room for the transverse leaf spring.
I think you nicely summed up the pros and cons. Yeah, you can do it. Just depends on how much work you're willing and able to do

Back