Wanxiang outbids Hong Kong's Li for Fisker

Lutz has already been building his own version of the Fisker. He takes out the drivetrain and replaces it with a Corvette engine. It costs $200,000. I forget the name of that particular venture, but I believe it's been going for a couple years now. Lutz doesn't need to own Fisker to do that---kind of like the guys who will build you a brand new DeLorean today--but he could surely get the cost down if he did. Lutz likes the styling of the Karma (almost everyone does), says it's maybe the prettiest car ever built. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. I don't think anybody at A123 is excited about the revival.

As I understand it, VL started out buying the Karma from Fisker to put the engine in but only received 20 of the order for 100. So comes the problem of if he's going to build, or. . . ?

But did A123 actually have direct problems with Fisker? Or just a disappointment?

Dauntless said:
As I understand it, VL started out buying the Karma from Fisker to put the engine in but only received 20 of the order for 100. So comes the problem of if he's going to build, or. . . ?

But did A123 actually have direct problems with Fisker? Or just a disappointment?

I have not dealt directly with Fisker much myself, so I can't (not to mention shouldn't) say too much. I'll say they have a reputation for being unreasonable and just leave it at that.

Not sure where Lutz's situation is regarding Fisker. However, I don't think he needs to own them to build his version. He didn't need that before. That's different from saying he has ready access to what he does need, of course.

Back