WAS: Electric Dirt Bike

TylerDurden

100 GW
So no pedals?

Nice fork, which one did you get? I'm on the look out for one but I'm not sure what all would fit.

That will be a sweet ride. I can't wait to see pics...

When I rode the Jackalope with the Nuvinci hub, it had a sort of strange shifting behavior under load. It might take a bit of getting used to. To upshift in the lower half of the range, you need to back off the throttle a bit. From mid range to high speed, you can shift under full power. It's like it wants to go toward either extreme and away from mid range. Anyway, it will be fun to play around with. Perhaps at lower power levels, it won't be noticeable.

It would be possible (but not easy) to make the shifting automatic to maintain the most efficient motor speed.

As I recall, the Jackalope had the shifter on the left and throttle on the right. It seemed to work fine that way.

ooh, this is looking nice :)
good job bikeraider, looking forward to this build alot!!

cheers

D

That's going to be a great ride when you get it done. The low end torque in low gear will be great. I wouldn't gear it for much more than 30mph in the highest gear (unless you want to go really fast downhill).

Hi bikeraider,

yes heres a link to the very long thread (22pages - but i am very slow at getting things done!!)
this will take you straight to how my bike is today...
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=267&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=255
1 month will be a quick build!! do you have a link to denise's bike also??
good luck with the build, i'll watch your thread and as we have a similair setup help out if i can!

cheers

D

I don't have a close up pic of the Nuvinci shifter on the Jackalope.

You could try contacting Rick Roller or Brian Hall at Thunderstruck Motors and ask them. They are nice guys.

Hi Bikeraider,

thanks for the link, that's a nice looking ride denise has put together - if you get yours like that should be a very nice ride, hows it coming along?

cheers

D

Hi Bikeraider,

its looking nice :)
good suspension all round there, as TD says keep us informed on that kelly controller - how much was it?
200a? :shock: you will need some good batteries to power that!!!
keep us up to date with the build - looking very very good, particularly interested in the nuvinci setup.

cheers

D

hey bikeraider,

she's looking awesome!!!!
good idea on the brakes,hayes nines are great but sometimes they can be very complicated to bleed i've been told. imo you do need good stopping power with a bike over 50lbs and these babys will work just fine.
i found with mine that the large rotors caused no problems at all compared to the original 6" disks :)
love the lights what are they???
the frame stretch looked a very nice "cut and shut" - good work, plenty of space for batts now :twisted:
keep us up to date with the build, this is looking great!!

cheers

D

bikeraider!!!

Wow! ça fait la job en maudit ça!!!!

Flicitation!! le frame est vraiment intéresant avec ses allures de motocross et bike en meme temps!! combien? $$$$ total ?

Doc

For those who don't speak French, here's Google's pathetic attempt at trying to translate Doctorbass:

"Wow! It makes the job en cursed!!

Flicitation! The frame is really interesting with its allure of a motocross bike and at the same time! How? $ $ $ $ Total?"

I'm kinda interested in how much it cost, too. How much did you end up paying for the Kelly?

Cool. Any chance of some vids when the weather gets good ? Not much left that hasn't gotten upgraded.

I love the look of the bike. It has very nice and clean lines.

Maybe you covered this earlier on in the thread but but I was wondering if the pedals are going to be fully functional or just for show? In the pics I didn't see any chains yet.

Hi Bikeraider,

loving the look of the bike - looking forward to seeing it in action as soon as you can!!! :)
i wouldn't worry about the bracket holding the battery, spray it black and you'll see its fine - i wonder though if you do need another bracket or two to hold the pack solid though- how is it held at the bottom and sides?
i love the quantya freeride vid too - if the bike performs anything like that i will be wayyyyy ennvious :)
some really nice bikes are coming on for this season i cannot wait for good weather and people getting their videos up, good luck with the rest of the build, she's lookin lovely!!

cheers

D

Wow.. ca fait aps mal vite ça!!! :shock:

ça serait cool si tu pouvais timer ta vitesse!

Do mon bord, je travaill esur 3 ebike à la fois!!

celui de ma blonde, celui du gars qui me fournis les makitas et le mien que je change complètement (nouveau frame mongoose dual suspension disk brake)...

et... 2kWh de batterie!! :twisted:

Hi Bikeraider :)

hope the bike comes out ok - dont understand battery configs so can't help there however if you haven't already bought your 24" wheel i have a suggestion for you - i just bought 2 x 24" wheels and tyres and they are way nice - i bought HALO SAS rims - 36mm wide and doulbe walled, pinned and welded or HALO combat (same wheel but pinned only).
Im not sure what dropouts your forks have but these can be laced into quick release or 20mm through axel like mine.
I also bought some nice tyres you may be interested in - HALO contra, 24" x 3.00" :twisted: .

Hope the bike comes good for you soon!!!

Cheers

D

Off road bikes have the ability to use whatever you want as far as power. (no legal issues)

Wow, 48.5 mph is fast... that Etek must be pumping out about 5 hp?

What kind of range are you getting?

Is that 48.5 mph on the flat or was it slightly downhill?

PAGE_1

bikeraider said:

I'm just starting to convert this electric bicycle toy, to a little dirt bike, like Denis Eckert did. I use (2) my1020 36 Volt, 750 watts motors connected in parallel and chained together. I will use a 200-amp, 36-48 volt Kelly controller, Magura twist throttle, and (3) odyssey PC545 battery. It's a winter project and I will post more pictures and details as this project goes on. The main goal is to go at about 30 mph with great acceleration and a lot of torque for hill climbing.

For now the forks as been changed, I used the stock wheels, and the stock mongoose brakes. I used the stock handles and I put the Magura twist throttle on. I will change the Handle bars later if needed. I will fabricate a battery box and get a new seat for it.

I'm very tempted to buy a nuvinci cvp hub transmission for it. And I’d like to know if someone used it on their ebike. Please educate me about the pros and cons of this transmission hub.

Tank you and have a great day!

I hope is fun, it's suppose to be a dirt bike after all, Sorry just kidding !

Vanilla,

The pedals in the future only act as foot pegs, its twin motor's setup. You can use any mountain regular fork 26 inches wheel with disc brake. An SR Suntour is about the same fork as I have, but a Rock Shokxx fork will fit.

If you want to be sure, bring the original fork with you and go to your local bike shop. Sorry is the best idea i have for you, i hope it's help a little.

Bikeraider

Yess Denise is very helpfull in the design of my bike and really like her, she's a nice person. Finally i changed my previous setup now i use 4 Odyssey PC-545. 1 Unite My1020 1200 watt motor. A Nuvini hub with the 90 tooth sprocket. A brand new Rock Shox Race Fork and finally a Rear Vanilla Fox Shock 2.25 inch travel. I Send a couple of picture when i put all this thing togheter.

i like your website!
Bikeraider.

Thank you for help, I really appreciate it. It will be a little special to ride the bike because the twist throttle is on the left handle. And I shift the hub with the right one, what can of setup you use on the jackalope because I have no better idea for this setup.

I send the new pictures as soon as I can when i have installed the fork, the rear shock is orded but not received yet.

Happy new year Fechter
Bikeraider!

Thank you, I hope I’am able to finish my bike in about one month or so. I like to see your bike. Did you have a link for it

Thank you !
Bikeraider.

Hi Fetcher,

Thank you, i hope this bike will be fun because is not cheap at the end lolll. For the mount of the Nuvinci on your handle, I’m just curious to see it, did you have a picture. When a start this project at the beginning, the top speed was around 30 mph with the 2 previous motor 750 watts motor without the Nuvinci and fix gearing. The bike is presently gearing exactly like Denise Eckert bike. Then with the hub in “neutral” position and the new 1200 watt motor it’s goes at around 27 mph. I want to use my bike like an enduro style bike. Denise say’s that is bike have the acceleration of 80 cc 2 stroke with the fix gearing and it goes around 27 mph top speed. So sometime and when the trail permit it ,I like to go at about 35 mph on a none hilly section.

P.S. I like to make a sort of extended rang trailer for this bike. Like electricmoto did with the old electric Blade with a ice generator. Did someone, as make that kind of trailer in this forum ?

Have a nice day
Bikeraider!

Back