What is the recommended spoke tension for an Alexrims DM24?

terminus

100 mW
So I got this ebike-specific rim for building since it seems to be popular among builders.. Got it laced up, trued, dished etc. Now I am looking for what the max tension it can take and do not see anything from the manufacturer, and when I use their contact form it fails to send with an error message.

So I have no idea what to actually set the spoke tension to, despite it being what I assume is a fairly popular rim due to it being sold on ebikes.ca. Any suggestions? It is a 26".

terminus said:
So I got this ebike-specific rim for building since it seems to be popular among builders.. Got it laced up, trued, dished etc. Now I am looking for what the max tension it can take and do not see anything from the manufacturer

Alex has given me a flat figure of 140kgf max for their rims, not just the DM24. If you shoot for 120 kgf average on the tight side, usually the tightest spoke won't exceed 140.

How many guys have a bicycle spoke torque wrench?

Chalo said:
terminus said:
So I got this ebike-specific rim for building since it seems to be popular among builders.. Got it laced up, trued, dished etc. Now I am looking for what the max tension it can take and do not see anything from the manufacturer

Alex has given me a flat figure of 140kgf max for their rims, not just the DM24. If you shoot for 120 kgf average on the tight side, usually the tightest spoke won't exceed 140.
Cool, thanks!

Thud said:

Really :roll:
For me it's "just shy of squeaky tight".
Then check them several times later.

I've never even seen a spoke torque wrench and I was a motorcycle tech for 25 years.

motomech said:
Thud said:

Really :roll:
For me it's "just shy of squeaky tight".
Then check them several times later.

I've never even seen a spoke torque wrench and I was a motorcycle tech for 25 years.

Its called a tension meter or tensiometer, not a spoke torque wrench. Separate tool, very handy. Definitely quicker to build wheels with, particularly for the inexperienced.

motomech said:

The problem with that idea is that fastener tension (not limited to spokes) varies by a factor of way more than 2:1 just on the basis of whether or not the threads have been lubed. Throw in corrosion, variation in fit, etc., and there's no real way to correlate spoke tension to nipple torque.

bikegeek said:
I have this one: http://www.parktool.com/product/spoke-tension-meter-tm-1?category=Wheel%20&%20Spoke

That's what I have too! So far I am loving it, since I am new at wheelbuilding the feedback has been invaluable. And their web app with the visualizations has been a lot of fun to use, even my wife was a little impressed by that and lemme tell you she is not an easy woman to impress.

Here's the link to the WTA visualization of my wheelbuild, it's a front wheel: http://www.parktool.com/wta/ws569f1fdd2bbbc

As you can see there are some points that are quite a bit higher than others, and I am not super stoked about how one side has half the tension of the other in order to have proper dish. But I got nothing but a bunch of big friendly check marks for each spokes which I find very reassuring lol. I think I will tighten everything up a bit since Chalo says this hardcore bastard can definitely take the abuse and the less tensioned side seems like it would be happier being out of the 60-70kgf zone.

Also been thinking about maybe equalizing the tension one some of the highest/lowest points for a particular side and then going through the whole truing/dishing process again with more feathering this time, to see if I get more uniform results per spoke. I don't know if I will, hell this is my first wheelbuild, but I'm hoping I might. If anybody has an opinion one way or the other I would love to hear it. Anyway peace out yall

Back