what motor for a norco fluid HT2 mtn bike

hugh21

1 mW
I just bought a 2023 Norco fluid mtn bike - 29er, 12 speed. I tried to fit a spare BBS02 motor to it using a 42 tooth chainring with an 18 mm offset to the center hoping the chainline would be okay. The bottom brkt is 68mm but given the chainstay design which flares outward from the bottom brkt back, the motor requires a spacer on the drive side and without a spacer the teeth on the chainring hit the frame. As well because of the need to move the motor further right a 68 to 73mm motor doesn't have enough threads on the left side sticking out.

So I was wondering if using CYC stealth might do better

We had a discussion a while bike about new bike frames designed for 1X drivetrains and how they have less clearance: I hate 1X drivetrains

It seems your Norco is another example. On paper, the CYC stealth or other mid drives with an external reduction *may* be better since the motor chainring (the larger of the two) is on the outboard side. According to this though: https://www.cycmotor.com/product-page/x1-stealth-gen-3-1500w-mid-drive-conversion-kit

The motor chainring is either a 53T or 63T which are both quite large. That page does give some measurements that you may find useful though.

Back