What's more compact then folding bike? - SoloWheel

RockWheel is geared wheel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7b3n-Jicls&t=89

Yep, this is geared motor. But the main thing is that its speed is twice higher than any other (solowheel, Ips, Airwheel and others ~10..12kph)

ivanovlev said:
Yep, this is geared motor. But the main thing is that its speed is twice higher than any other (solowheel, Ips, Airwheel and others ~10..12kph)
Well, it's great that its speed is that much higher, but going 20 kph and hit a pothole isn't going to do you any good, even on a bike.

sk8norcal said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/220079372/the-urban-glider-re-think-how-you-explore-the-worl/comments

I posted this to FB as well, but it seems that its motor is capable of generating a speed of 13.5 mph at 1500W, yet it's powered by a 260Wh battery? Unless my math is off, 260Wh / 1500W = 0.173 of an hour. Multiply these .17h by 13 mph and you get 2.25 miles. Where is the 20-mile range come from?

Rollodo said:
sk8norcal said:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/220079372/the-urban-glider-re-think-how-you-explore-the-worl/comments

I posted this to FB as well, but it seems that its motor is capable of generating a speed of 13.5 mph at 1500W, yet it's powered by a 260Wh battery? Unless my math is off, 260Wh / 1500W = 0.173 of an hour. Multiply these .17h by 13 mph and you get 2.25 miles. Where is the 20-mile range come from?
Full power is drawn only at full motor load, i.e. accelerating from a standstill or going uphill. Once a motor nears its maximum speed, the current consumed is a lot less.

I purchase the Airwheel X3 on e-bay in the USA. What a sweet lightweight e-scooter. It goes through sand and gravel snow and rain. Climbs any hill I came across with no problems. It's like a mountain goat for climbing. Just Love to ride it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4,647
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 4,647
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,557
I have never fell off of my Airwheel X3 and I am in my mid 50's. I always have used the holding strap so it still looks new even after 7 months of daily use. It's a head turner, everywhere I go with it. Just so portable and light weight. I paid $600 shipped to USA 7 months ago.

Airwheel-killer! - The GausWheel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sueRuNYam88

Ha these are all pretty ridiculous looking and impractical devices, especially if you fall off the airwheel going 15mph downhill - runaway wheel, good luck...

Ha these are all pretty ridiculous looking and impractical devices, especially if you fall off the airwheel going 15mph downhill good luck...
Thanks for posting about the Gauswheel . Initially thought how cool of a new design for motoring around. After watching another clip I noticed the rides seemed to be not be taking advantage of the power until I realized these are not motorized at all. Doh! Well, not completely DOH as this is the "Stand-up E-scooters and E-skateboards" forum.

Two gray mass revolutions more and bingo, why not use the design and motor it up. Use a hub motor in a 14-16 inche wheel. Stuff the batteries just about anywhere and off you go. Fabricating a function unit would be really quite simple. What makes this an easy DIY project is it does not need any sophisticated electronics.

The removable brake handle could easily include a throttle. Better still, ditch the cable altogether and use an RC servo to operate the brake and throttle similar to the controllers on e-boards.?

Being able to use a larger air tire would sure smooth out the ride too.

The trickiest part is setting the proper rake on the front steer wheel. This is critical to the steering behavior. Make proto allow for adjustable rake, maybe that might even make the final cut as it would allow a more sensitive steer for slow speed and more dampened when hitting the open road.

Weight - would not weigh more than escooter but likely more than a e-board. I'd think you could do it under 30 lbs. good for say 10k or so distance.

EDITED:
After checking this out more, it seems a design not well suited to power, especially anything offering more than power than a sleight push. The physics do not work. When you power the wheel, the base is going to thrust forward. In order to counteract this moment the body has to move forward sufficiently. This might work with a slow and steady rate of power but it can not be much as you would have to thrust your body so forward to be pretty precarious a position. Then if you had to back off for some reason, you are going to take an immediate face plant as there is nothing for you to brace against to forward momentum. Oh well, back the standard safe and sane two wheel scooter with something to hold onto. :))

True the Gauswheel isn't powered but is another in the line of (nearly) single wheel vehicles and shows the braking ability with a disc brake and an adult male rider. Imagine only regen braking down a hill and it def won't be stopping on any dimes...

The rockwheel def blows away the competition imho - compared to nearly any retail ebike/escooter/eskateboard - in terms of hill climbing power - unreal

Still, having seen how people struggle to properly ride even a razor electric scooter at ebike stores I've visited (normal consumers that aren't motorcross or skateboard semi-pros) I think the unicycle concept isn't for the masses even though it is small, light-ish, and portable. The vid sk8norcal posted does show the extreme riding abilities for things like potholes but I'd say someone better be very coordinated before trying that, our 50+ year old friends aren't featured in these extreme vids and it's not for everyone certainly

I think true distance on anything other than flats again with an adult male rider 175lbs or so is severely limited in my personal test ride experience and is in the 5-8 miles range on avg best case scenario with a mix of speeds and terrain but that may be enough for some.

Still, having seen how people struggle to properly ride even a razor electric scooter at ebike stores I've visited (normal consumers that aren't motorcross or skateboard semi-pros) I think the unicycle concept isn't for the masses even though it is small, light-ish, and portable.

That is true for adults, but you put a fearless 11 year old on one of these things and they will have no problem zipping around like crazy. Go to any ski slope in the world and watch how quickly they pick up snowboarding versus your average 30 year old who may even have decades of skiing experience. What the market needs to mature these products and attain widespread adoption is a smaller/lighter/cheaper/slower kids version to learn on before stepping up. With other sports where there is an opportunity for danger and a way to start smaller you do that - like in kiteboarding you learn how to control and a trim a trainer kite of 1-3m before strapping into the big ones that will teebag you into the horizon if you don't know what you are doing.

What the market needs to mature these products and attain widespread adoption is a smaller/lighter/cheaper/slower kids version to learn on before stepping up.
That is what the Guaswheel is, a foot powered slow moving (on flat) product. If "stepping up" implies to a powered version, I think the market gets very small, very fast due to the comments about difficulty to be competent on one of these. Foot powered seems but but power, even a modest amount, and things have a way of going wrong in many ways very quickly.

As you say, a young body with quick reflexes can likely learn to ride a powered one quite safely but these are small numbers. Yet, there are many niche products targeted to niche markets. No reason this would not apply to this case of product. But agree this is DOA as a mass market item; it would be very hard to see a powered Gauswheel along side the scooters at a Wally store. I'd love to have stopwatch counting how many seconds before someone comes in on crutches and a head bandage wanting to sue them for this dangerous and hazardous product! LOL Then again they do have skateboards next to the scooters and the same thing was said way back when.

I'd love to have stopwatch counting how many seconds before someone comes in on crutches and a head bandage wanting to sue them for this dangerous and hazardous product! LOL Then again they do have skateboards next to the scooters and the same thing was said way back when.

The childrens' scooter aisle at a big box store has all kinds of weird contraptions. Like all terrain skateboards with treads instead of wheels, and the ripstick, hell, one wheel can't be much more dangerous than a two wheeled skateboard, haha.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ripstik-G-Caster-Board-Black/9219326
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rockboard-Descender-All-Terrain-Skateboard/26827394

I bought an Airwheel X3 on eBay but it ends up being a clone (no Airwheel logo anywhere, on the box, on the pedals stickers, on the battery label...), despite the vendor assuring me it's an Airwheel authentic.
It works fine for me but I don't know how it compares to a real Airwheel X3.
Here are the pictures of the motherboard, it looks like a standard brushless controller (STM8 microprocessor, output stage with transistor drivers and Mosfet power transistors) but with an gyroscope & acceleration sensor (IC at the extreme left of the board).
Do anyone have a picture of the authentic Airwheel controller board, it would be interesting to compare to my clone's board.

Nice, anyone know the price and where to order them?

torqueboards said:
iperov said:

Nice that last video is awesome. Those are some pretty steep inclines especially in the dirt.. that thing is pretty nice..

kfong said:
Nice, anyone know the price and where to order them?

torqueboards said:
iperov said:

Nice that last video is awesome. Those are some pretty steep inclines especially in the dirt.. that thing is pretty nice..

You can get an airwheel on eBay for fairly cheap $400 to $600.

torqueboards said:
iperov said:

[/quote]

You can get an airwheel on eBay for fairly cheap $400 to $600.[/quote]

I would prefer the geared motor setup. Specs seem the best as well.

Wow, hobby16 thanks for the pictures!

I can't wait for my devices to arrive. I have one authentic and one clone on the way to compare. Talking to the manufacturers, I think the clones may be fine since they are identical (copies). We will see if that claim is true.

My guess is that the PCB is a copy and clones may cut costs on motor and battery. But either way, it will be an interesting device to tear down and take a peek as hobby16 has done.

Back