• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Where is everyone from? Meet and Greet? Visit and Compare?

icecube57

10 MW
I need to know where everyone is from. Im tired of not knowing if there is someone else doing the ebike scene in my city or state. I want to compare builds... bikes... brands... speed.. power... etc. I would like to make this thread kinda a database so everyone knows where everyone is and if they happen to be close by... pm the member to set up a visit.

Im from the the good/bad USofA. I live in Georgia in a city called Austell.. Less than 15-20 minutes outside the heart of Atlanta. Im willing to travel a state over to meet some of you fine gentlemen.

That facility is in the User Control Panel.
Location can be displayed though it appears that most people bother.

Were "location" required fields in drop down lists on a form for membership activation the members list could be readily searched. As it is now it's hit or miss depending on what your neighbours call home.

Locally there's a MeetUp group for PEV enthusiasts. I've met maybe twenty on the monthly Kilowatt Hour Ride out of 115+ members.
http://www.meetup.com/vancouver-electric-vehicles/

I am in Canada. Ontario. We just legalized ebikes a few years ago.

The law expires October 2009, a few months away.

We have a problem with escooters, and people trying to treat them as ebikes. lol.

The government is trying to fix the law to ban them.

Then, another issue, endlesssphere trying to pose :twisted: emotorcycles as ebikes. :twisted: lol. :mrgreen:
in before DoctorBass . :twisted:

Everett, Massachusetts three miles north of downtown Boston.

In six months of ebiking and 2,500 miles around here I have yet to see another ebike within rte 128 (Boston's 'beltway') or speak with anyone in a bike shop that was familiar with them.

Bill

Im down south to you fifthmass. Providence, RI. Cannot find another ebiker near me. Searched craigslist, google. Asked bike shops. Only 1 shop knew about electric bikes and just so happens, they sold one. A wicked expensive "Giant" ebike. Looked like it had a 250 W hub motor on it. Price tag was $2500. YIKES! :shock:

Any EV aficionado can register at EValbum.com, upload EV info & pix and be located on a googlemap:

http://www.evalbum.com/geo/GeorgiaEVmap_GA.png
http://www.evalbum.com/

deardancer3 said:
I am in colorado;

a guy Docnjoc? is somewhere in Georgia with a cople of etrikes/ebikes

Nah, Deardancer but close! Alabama Gulf Coast! About 5 hrs from Atlanta.
otherDoc

People responding to this thread stating their location still haven't bothered to update their profiles to include their location in every post.
A simple asterisk would make Location an obligatory field on the Profile page.
"Please note that this information may be viewable to other members. Be careful when including any personal details. Any fields marked with a * must be completed."

As far as chat yak qat irc WTF:
ICQ number:
AOL Instant Messenger:
MSN Messenger:
Yahoo Messenger:
Jabber address:

Fly at 'er.

If i can get to Savannah in 3.5 hrs = 290+ miles im sure he cant be that much further.

Indianapolis, Indiana. I've already met one member on this forum. I met Nomad85.

I was with my family the other day and riding around town. Guys, Indianapolis is dying. People are moving out of the city and into the suburbs on the outskirts of town and taking their money with them. The shops are all closing. The malls are closing down. It's getting depressing downtown. It's starting to look like Memphis, TN if anyone has ever been there.

Memphis is just like New Orleans... As long as you are on that main strip... everything is cool... go to the outskirts its like WTF mate? I came here for a whole city block of southern hospitality and then it turns into the slums a block over. I saw the EV Album but the people havent been active in like forever. I sent some emails out no responses...

I could get over where most of you guys are in about 24hrs.
Do they have bike racks on the rear of 747's? :lol:
Trev.

lesspedal said:
I could get over where most of you guys are in about 24hrs.
Do they have bike racks on the rear of 747's? :lol:
Trev.
There's plenty of Aussies on this forum but your country is also a continent with lots of desert in between.

I'm in Haverhill, MA --at the limit of Boston's suburbs as defined by the train lines. I've just been ebiking a few weeks after lurking for years. The first ebike a saw was one from markcycle (active on the emotorcycle/scooter threads) at the Boston Altwheels festival. Most people I know haven't heard of ebikes, but the other day I ran to the liquor store for some wine and there was a guy on a 24V lashout(?) kit buying some brewskies. He zipped out before I could catch him, but I'm glad to see there are others around.

This sounds like a job for the administrators to plug people for their setup and location info. If you do a search on the members it's pretty sparse, and more than half of the "members" are 0 posters with very suspicious websites listed as their "reference" page. :? It was very helpful for me to meet one of the forum members a few weeks ago to check out his rig, and I followed a blog from another Boston local who posted his experiences on the Ampedbikes forum.

With all the incredible information on this forum it can be very daunting for newbies to find their way, and the experts always have something new to add and fine tune. How 'bout this idea: we start a wiki that covers all the important "database" or technical info, creating a sort of ebike-manual for all of us. It could cover way more than the technical section of this forum and could evolve as new insights/vendors/batteries etc appear.

Carl

set said:
Im down south to you fifthmass. Providence, RI. Cannot find another ebiker near me. Searched craigslist, google. Asked bike shops. Only 1 shop knew about electric bikes and just so happens, they sold one. A wicked expensive "Giant" ebike. Looked like it had a 250 W hub motor on it. Price tag was $2500. YIKES! :shock:

I am in Cranston RI... just south of Providence... Bike shop reaction to FrankenBike was great... :lol:

Greetings all. I'm new here, as a poster.

I'm in Vermont. Last fall I got a Bionx kit for my wife after much lurking here and everywhere I could, and I put it on a Townie 7. We live at the top of some nasty hills. Her 8 mile trip to work would be impossible on a bike in anything like either of our current fitness levels. We love the Bionx, as has everyone who has tried it. And it gets her exercising when the weather is good. She has the 350 with the NiMH battery. It doesn't quite make it up our hills every time (or we don't manage to help it enough). She did manage to not walk it up the steep part yesterday, good progress. The range does get her to work, and with a recharge there, back home.

We decided to get me an ebike this summer so we can ride together. With the NiMH 350 Bionx discontinued, the Li-ion Bionx battery seems really expensive, and it's not even going to last well, not LiFePO4. That put me off the Boinx, that and the fact that it's a bit scary how closed the system is, how dependent on the company's survival once invested.

I'm a web designer and photographer. I work at home, and when I drive I'm usually hauling people and stuff over a pretty long rural distance. For me riding will be mostly for fun, exercise, and photography. I'm looking forward to some long windy trips on obscure Vermont backroads. I may also ride to my Buddhist center for classes when the days are long, about 10 miles away. The town I go to most in a purposeful way is about 15 miles + away; I could probably make that round trip without a recharge. But even when I have a business meeting in town I'm usually stocking up on groceries. We'll see if I'll ebike to town much.

I've got a Ping LiFePO4 36 volt 20 ah on the way, and I've got a Townie 7. So that much is settled. I'm pretty sure I'm going for a BMC rear kit from cycle9. The BMC v1 kit is cheaper than the ezee, will have torque for these hills -- and I like the cycle9 people so far.

I'm hoping the Ping pack will fit in a "tank bag" made for the Townie. After that I'll have to see how I'll carry cameras and the laptop if I've got a meeting in town.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

And thank you all for making this forum happen!

Welcome.
The Townie and Bionx are a great combination. I seriously considered a Bionx before deciding on an X5 for le Béte.
The way I use the throttle and the way I like to pedal, a Bionx would have probably sufficed except when carrying loads uphill on the Xtracycle.
Cycle 9 are good people. You're fortunate that they're a knowledgable and reputable dealer.
A cargo bike set up will easily take care of your camera equipment plus a passenger.
Ask Morgan. She knows.

Strangely enough in my town of only 8,000 people in the boonies of northwest Montana I already met another ebiker with an old golden motor/nimh setup that he uses to commute to work at a sports shop in the bike department. I also run across people in town almost daily that are like, "oh... is that a hub motor? Cool!" :shock: Makes me realize birds of a feather really do flock together. None of the local bike shops know squat about it though.. they are much more into selling beach cruisers and high parts for the lyrca crowd of which there are tons in this tiny town... none that can keep up with me of course. :wink:

Northern California, 45 minutes north of San Francisco. There are quite a few ebikers in the bay area and several ebike stores including my own. Also a few e-motorcycle shops. Down the road is Zap, where it all started. Don't know of any clubs or get togethers. Sonoma county has alot of garage operations going, if the economy gets going and gas prices go up, this could be a major EV area. I'm always ready for a get together, everyone is welcome to come to my shop or meet in San Francisco. I also want to ride up Mnt Tam, there are alot of other cool places to go. I have also been thinking about a hill climbing challange in San Francisco, have some kind of prize for the best hill climber. You in?

Recently transferred to Ankara, Turkey. San Francisconian hills abound here. I rarely see even a bicycle, much less an electric one..... But, the nice thing is that they've never seen anything like my e-scooter (electrified Diggler), that I've never had a single problem riding around here.

Back