Where to find E-Bike Car Rack "Cheap"

bdc43

10 mW
Hello All!

Does anyone know where to find a reasonably priced car rack that can safely take the weight of an electric conversion? I went to both our local bike shops here in Moncton (Canada) and one place had one selling for $200CAD with a max weight rating of 90lbs while the other shop had one rated for 200lbs that was selling for $563 CAD. Both racks were the type that support the bike by the wheels....my bike's a 22" steel frame mountain bike which weighs about 40lbs stock, so I figure once the hub motor and everything else is added, she'll probably tip the scales at around 85-90lbs at least. The car the bike rack will be installed on is a 2002 Corolla. I've been checking the local classifieds on Kajijji on the hopes of finding something cheaper and I did find 5 bike racks but they were all of the trunk mounted type that use straps. I'm looking for a hitch mount style. I don't have the actual hitch installed yet....I'm waiting to see what size hitch I'll be needing based on the bike rack itself.

I just bought a DrawTite 6501 and the 6505 adapter. 500lbs limit. And with a good pin ($25) the whole thing is solid as can be. I found a floor model locally and got everything for a little over $200.

Swagman is cheap, and fairly strong. It may sag a bit at the wheel loops, but won't drop your bike. Mines been used 2 years now. Buy it cheap somewhere on the internet.
What you are looking for is the kind with loops that hold the tires, and a J hook that clamps down. It looks like the design is improved some since I got mine too.

i found a Thule 4 clamp rack in the dumpster. it was for a trunk mount on a sedan. i took it apart and inverted the two frame pieces in the big locking bracket in the middle and it works perfectly on the rear door of my honda wagon. i use it as the rear support when i carry plywood and sheetrock on the roof of my honda wagon too. it will hold about 500 lbs and is 15-18mm aluminum tubing with 1" wide hooks for the top of the door. i think the reason it was thrown away was because they lost the straps that held it tight. but since it has the special Thule cam locks, i was able to make replacement straps using some lighweight chain which i can hook on the bottom of the door to cinch it up tight with the cam lock. really 3-4 second max mount or dismount, i luv free stuff.

Not meaning to hijack the thread....

I have a trunk mounted bike rack. it's a 4 bike rack so it can handle the weight of the ebike, but the problem is the weight distribution....with the hub motor, all the weight is on one side, and after the one run I did so far with the bike on the rack, I could see the unweighted side bouncing more....sure enough when I got to my destination, the unweighted side had loosened off quite a bit.

I know I can lock off the straps somehow to stop them loosening up, but the real solution would be to somehow distribute the weight of the bike more evenly across both arms of the rack.....any ideas?

lol!

yup that would do it, I sppose...

Or how about I build another ebike and mount it in the opposite direction :D

bdc43 said:
Hello All!

Does anyone know where to find a reasonably priced car rack that can safely take the weight of an electric conversion? I went to both our local bike shops here in Moncton (Canada) and one place had one selling for $200CAD with a max weight rating of 90lbs while the other shop had one rated for 200lbs that was selling for $563 CAD. Both racks were the type that support the bike by the wheels....my bike's a 22" steel frame mountain bike which weighs about 40lbs stock, so I figure once the hub motor and everything else is added, she'll probably tip the scales at around 85-90lbs at least. The car the bike rack will be installed on is a 2002 Corolla. I've been checking the local classifieds on Kajijji on the hopes of finding something cheaper and I did find 5 bike racks but they were all of the trunk mounted type that use straps. I'm looking for a hitch mount style. I don't have the actual hitch installed yet....I'm waiting to see what size hitch I'll be needing based on the bike rack itself.

I have a Stealth Bomber 116 lbs so I ordered a MC carrier for $71

https://www.t-motorsports.com/product/hd-500-lb-motorcycle-carrier-hitch-hauler-dirtbike-ramp/

bdc43 said:
Hello All!

Here is a lighter MC carrier $129 but they are out of stock for a week I was told.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

Consider Hollywood Racks. They make a good trunk and hatch system. My bike is light and my hatch door is straight up and down. The rack is good for 120lbs... atleast my model is. Ive had a bad run with racks so I also made an extra strap that hooks on the rack and hangs from the top of the hatch door its made out of a 900lbs towing capacity strap. I like to ride out to different places 30-125m miles and its been rock solid for me. Going to do a 270miles trip to Savannah thats how comfortable I am with mine. On a side note these racks can catch hell from the wake of your car at over 75mph so keep the speed low and you should be cool.

Attachments

• STA70511.JPG
    STA70511.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 1,481
Ypedal said:
with a hub motor bike, i think it's best to have a rack that supports the wheels and not just the frame..

Those Tidal Force Frames are very light I can lift mines one handed on my rack without much struggle.. It has to be under 50lbs if not closer to 40lbs. I havent had any sway or rack sag issues like with Cheap Allen and Bell racks.

I would have opted for a hitch rack but the Scion XB sit low on the ground and I would scrub getting out my drive way and its not that steep.

Now that X5 I had on here is a different story I was really scared to have it on this rack cause it did cause the rack to lean to one side. But being the 9C is 10lbs lighter with an even lighter frame its like have a regular bike on there. I might be opted to put two on there since the weight is so low on my bike.

I would be very hesitant to use one of those car racks with a heavy electric bike....asking for trouble.

Just get a receiver hitch installed and go with the swagman:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VO1YY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DMJPLO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1XA4EVSHVFGAQPW52HX5

117 right now with free shipping on amazon....that is for the older version...the newer version with ties that wrap around the tires is 180...

The 117 one i owned first and it really did the job with 2 heavy ebikes on it i never had a problem.

The question is how heavy is everyones bike. If u have two or more ebikes I wouldnt use a car rack. If its a bike just like mine I dont see whats wrong. Specifically to my model of bike I would probably put two TF with 9Cs on my rack.. Thats how much I trust it but if its a heavy steel down or complex down hill frame to where the bike but naked is over 40-45lbs and the motor as 15 more pounds and another 5-10lbs for accesories then you have a heavy bike. If you have an X5 you have an heavy bike. If you leave your batteries on or they are strapped to the frame... you have a heavy bike.

If you dont like my rack thats fine but SARIS make a damn good trunk rack that I can straddle in between the post and push my self up. They have one thats good for 4 bikes so it will probably hold entry to mid weight ebikes. The good thing about the saris rack it holds those sucker away from the body of the car and the height is adjustable.

My downfall with bike racks is I used cheap walmart rack that lasted a year before it fell off the car. Ive had my hollywood rack for a year and Ive taken it off my car once.

Back