where to mount the battery on a fs mtb?

hi, ive currently got a hardtail converted to ebike which i use for commuting etc. im in brooklyn, ny, though, so the roads are less than stellar. even with a suspension seatpost, theres still lots of bumps that are jarring. im looking at getting a full suspension bike to convert instead. im not sure if the battery (shark hailong type) will fit on the downtube or not, though. (which is where i have it on the ht.) if it doesnt fit on the top of the downtube, can i put it on the underside of the downtube? i feel like it might be more likely to bounce off there, is that the case? im also concerned about it getting wet/dirty there from stuff getting kicked up from the road. i was also thinking on the top tube, but that might look/feel awkward, and idk if putting holes in that is a good idea.

where else could i mount it?

thanks.

Some ideas:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=mount*+batt*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Lots of others, too, like in various build threads for bikes similar to whatever you end up using.

Depends on your exact battery size and shape and weight, your exact frame size and shape and spacing of things, and your riding scenario (because with lots of bumps of some kinds, even with good suspension, some mounting positions aren't good on some frames with weights above some point or mounting designs of some kinds, without reinforcement or even strapping them to the frame in some way).

the battery is the typical hailong shark pack, from luna. the type thats usually mounted on the downtube. This is the bike im looking at getting. the triangle is pretty big for a fs, but im not sure if the battery will fit inside or not. gonna be a tight fit if so. trying to decide if theres someplace else on the bike i could mount it if it doesnt fit inside the triangle, or if ill have to pass on the bike if doesnt fit inside.

thanks.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 215
Under the downtube is best if you have suspension and ground clearance. Lower center of gravity makes your bike feel much lighter vs mounted inside downtube. You don't believe it, try it, the difference is huge.

A lot of bikes have two sets of water bottle lugs, the second set on the frt. of the frt. down-tube. The batt. might look like it will be too close to the tire, but mine have never hit.
The other option is to install new screw-lugs. It takes a kit to do it, but any bicycle shop can do it.

Back