• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Which chainless ebike to buy?

chx

100 µW
So far I found: Arcade E-Cardan (shaft), Grace Easy (belt), Smart eBike (belt), Beixo Compact Electra (shaft) and the Mando Footlose (nothing :) ) is coming. On paper/screen all of these look astonishing. But are they? For the price they command they better be...

Or get something like a Biomega Amsterdam and swap the front wheel for something like a Hill Topper Bike Kit? I wonder how easy that is but then again I guess I can find a bike shop nearby to do it, I am not handy :)

The main criteria for motorizing one would be a steel front fork that makes a front motor install easy and safe. 100mm dropout width.

Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum). This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

This is how I go chainless....

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31391&hilit=+scooter

wesnewell said:
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum). This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.

I am in Vancouver, Canada but that doesn't matter, I travel a lot (right now I am in the USA and I will be in Ireland, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic before the year is over) and the bike fee for checking in the new bike on a flight home compared to what these cost is nothing.

The primary usage will be short (<5km) trips in the city but I also would like to cover 30km trips with the bike -- also on paved roads.

Would like to know what chainless bike you ended up buying? I also travel and want a bike I can easily take with me on planes, trains and buses. I have test rode the Mando Footloose twice, but have not riden any other chainless bike.

Once you have a motor, you may find that you rarely need to change gears back and forth. For a front hub E-bike that is used on fairly flat land, it is not unreasonable to have a single-speed rear wheel. Once you have gone to a sleek and simple single-speed chain, you can wax the chain instead of having to use oil.

I only mention this because you have not stated why you want chainless, and the Gates belted drive system is somewhat pricey. Shaft-drive is even more expensive.

chx said:
wesnewell said:

I am in Vancouver, Canada but that doesn't matter, I travel a lot (right now I am in the USA and I will be in Ireland, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic before the year is over) and the bike fee for checking in the new bike on a flight home compared to what these cost is nothing.

The primary usage will be short (<5km) trips in the city but I also would like to cover 30km trips with the bike -- also on paved roads.

There are no airways that allow an ebike with a battery. You would have to acquire a battery at each location.

I just came back from France, where I stayed for April, May and the beginning of June. I saw the Mando Footloose there and also test road the YikeBike. Both are chainless, but the YikeBike cannot be ridden like a regular bike. The Mando Footloose can be peddled, but only when the motor is running. If the battery runs out, you cannot peddle it like a standard bike. I asked if either could be brought on an airplane, both sales people said with their bike there would be no problem. I would hate to buy it and find out I couldn't bring it on the plane. I am now back in California, and still looking for a chainless folding e-bike that I can travel around the world with.

I have found out the electric brompton, sold by NYCeWheels with the double battery pack can be taken on most domestic and international passenger planes as carryon baggage. I am sure there are other folding bikes that can be adapted to air transport like the brompton electric. Unfortunately it is not a chainless bike. I am still looking for a chainless folding electric that can be taken on passenger flights.

ancientbicyclist said:
I have found out the electric brompton, sold by NYCeWheels with the double battery pack can be taken on most domestic and international passenger planes as carryon baggage. I am sure there are other folding bikes that can be adapted to air transport like the brompton electric. Unfortunately it is not a chainless bike. I am still looking for a chainless folding electric that can be taken on passenger flights.

That Brompton would be my choice, after being modified to accept a Gates belt drive. its not a simple conversion, but it's been done before. http://dkprojects.net/belt_drive_brompton/

The GoCycle isn't chainless, but it is totally enclosed and the bike itself is very portable. It is also very nice to ride with the electronic gear shift! No spokes to break or loose tension, like on other small wheeled folding bikes I have seen.
Battery and motor are not visible, so hard to tell it's electric...
http://www.gocycle.com/

http://bike2.dk/wp02/

bike2_chainless_bike-e1462657799293.jpg

Seen here:
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ess-electric-bicycles-are-probably-on-the-way

Sneaky Danes. :)

Back