will a car wiper run a dc ebike motor

wasp

10 kW
it has 3 speed settings and off as well as the varible speed type my thinking is 1 a simple dc speed controller 2 could i pulse my ebike and double my distance on 3 sec off 3 sec esentially coasting half the time while on long runs it would also be easier on bats.....or am i just way off in my thinking

wasp said:
it has 3 speed settings and off as well as the varible speed type my thinking is 1 a simple dc speed controller 2 could i pulse my ebike and double my distance on 3 sec off 3 sec esentially coasting half the time while on long runs it would also be easier on bats.....or am i just way off in my thinking

I don't think it's a good idea...mainly because alot of wiper motor 2 speed are actually made with 2 wiring inside de motor )to make it turn faster or slower) so it won't work for your application.

Get a brushed motor controller they are very cheap !

Robin

wasp said:
Check the specs on the motor if you can. From what I've seen, they tend to max at a few amps with 12 volts, so I'm not sure if it would even be enough power to move the e-bike without quickly burning up the motor.

I suspect car wiper motors are something like 50 watts at the most. The motor and controller are both designed for that kind of low power use. If you want something that even matches a low power ebike, neither the DC controller nor the motor will be suitable, I suspect.

What you are thinking about is similar to the inefficient way golf carts used to be controlled. Basicly you started out with 36v, that is high speed, or run it though a resistor and get less voltage for med speed, and two resistors got you low. Contactors on the trottle pedal would connect the three different voltages. Of couse watts are lost in the low speeds. Old bug wiper controlls worked exactly the same way, and maybe it would work. On golf carts with 36v the sparking of the trottle contactors was considerable, and they had to be replaced a lot. Since you are obviously talking about a brushed motor, those controllers are dirt cheap anyway. If you are really frugal, the on off switch works, but can be hard on batteries. Seems to me like batteries cost more than cheap controllers.

Most all cars in the last 20 years or so just have 3 wires comming out of the wiper motor. One is common, and then you have 2 taps to make 3 different speeds. Generally you have a low speed winding, a higher speed winding, and then the highest setting is when the switch energizes both of the coils at the same time. The switch doesn't have any special ability to control speed, it just appears that way due to the multiple windings in the motor.

liveforphysics said:
Most all cars in the last 20 years or so just have 3 wires comming out of the wiper motor. One is common, and then you have 2 taps to make 3 different speeds. Generally you have a low speed winding, a higher speed winding, and then the highest setting is when the switch energizes both of the coils at the same time. The switch doesn't have any special ability to control speed, it just appears that way due to the multiple windings in the motor.

That's what I have seen too (Nissan guy here) but we only et 2 speed from 2 different winding not 3speed .

Almasi said:
liveforphysics said:

That's what I have seen too (Nissan guy here) but we only et 2 speed from 2 different winding not 3speed .
how does it vary the speed then ? on/off/on/off...ect.

wasp said:
Almasi said:
liveforphysics said:

how does it vary the speed then ? on/off/on/off...ect.

OFF No power att all
Intermitent Pulsed every few second
Low Low winding get power
High High winding get power

Robin

Methinks the OP is referring to using the intermittent wiper control to automate 'Pulse & Glide' style of riding, which is used in range competitions...

Intermittent wiper control usually involves a solid-state timer with variable control, to periodically energize a mechanical relay. It would be possible to interrupt the 5V supply to the throttle of a controller to get the desired effect, if you have some type of constant throttle setting already implemented (or planned).

Here's a kit.

More info on the inventor... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns
"Kearns received approximately US$30 million in compensation for Chrysler's "non-deliberate" patent infringement."

TylerDurden said:
Methinks the OP is referring to using the intermittent wiper control to automate 'Pulse & Glide' style of riding, which is used in range competitions...

Intermittent wiper control usually involves a solid-state timer with variable control, to periodically energize a mechanical relay. It would be possible to interrupt the 5V supply to the throttle of a controller to get the desired effect, if you have some type of constant throttle setting already implemented (or planned).

Here's a kit.

More info on the inventor... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns
"Kearns received approximately US$30 million in compensation for Chrysler's "non-deliberate" patent infringement."
thx tyler thats more the way my brain was eluding too

Dear Friend

I've tried this about 8 years back with my new mountain bike. the motor had a free wheel and fitted under the paddling gear so it pushed the paddling gear. though it was not such a success. but it barely moved my bicycle about 5 - 10 km/hour. may be due to i'm very lean and weigh about 48 kg. then i tried it with the best powerful car wiper controll motor i could find but not much of a success.

sincerely
Naeem

Back