Wiring/Connecting/Terminating Materials Thread.

The Mighty Volt said:
Just curious dudes.......I ordered two of these irons, does anyone have a safe and easy solution for stepping down 220 to 110, would a travel adapter cut it?

why?

I just got one of theses in the UK (220v)......is it not the same?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230441562715&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Ian :D

Maybe they are 110/220 compatible.

I got mine from the USA so I assumed it was 110.

If I had only known somebody in the UK was selling them......... :)

What sort of project you got going Dingo?

EDIT: Nah, I just checked, mine has a 110v sticker on it. Edison you twat. :evil:

What sort of project you got going Dingo?

still working on ironing out the bugs on my cyclone build.....got to get it to 100mph :twisted:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18130

looking at upgrades for throttle and controller atm.....oh also some wiring / connectors :wink:

novembersierra28 said:
I got mine red hot, lasted 30mins.
my 230w got red hot but it still took 3 long min to heat bullet enough. Tip broke in no time. Was just bad technique. Now w new iron, flux and tinning, 30 w is enough! Hardly need boost!

The Mighty Volt said:
Good stuff Dingo. :D

There are very few Brits/Irish around here. I am in Ireland, and NovSierra is in the UK. I see very few ebikes in our part of the world.

is there roll call on ES for us Brits/Irish?..........anyone interested?

CamLight said:
The Mighty Volt said:
EDIT: Nah, I just checked, mine has a 110v sticker on it. Edison you twat. :evil:
Ya gotta' blame Tesla/Westinghouse for that one...Edison championed DC. :mrgreen:

Yes, Edison championed DC and out of his "AC IS A KILLER" Campaign resulted the 110v programme the US follows, cos 110v is "safer". :roll: :roll:

One eighth of one amp across your heart can stop it.

Last time I checked, 110v was more than capable of supporting that kind of current.

As it happens, this little sucker arrived today:

58863.jpg
and it works just fine.

And these arrived also:

DSCN4778.jpg

DSCN4779.jpg

They are actually a dark green but under the flash come up as the same blue on the HK and Ebay websites.

6 pins not 5

I'm bashing JST-XH's again...

I've not had problems with the ones connected to my packs (after gluing them). I never have to remove them.

But the female JST-XH attached to BM6's (bottom two) fail and cause my BM6's to beep on and off ALL THE TIME. The middle one (before I got shrink tube :lol: ), failed immediately after I created it because of a loose JST-XH..

At top, my solution, soldered wires to BM6's...
file.php

I posted more about the final chapter of the mystery, here.

This is a total noob question, but how do you crimp the little connectors the ebike.ca sell?

I have trouble crimping in general, and these are so tiny.

The damn things always come apart.

When I solder them, they sometimes don't fit into the housing.

Do I need another tool beside a hardware store/ automotive style crimper?

auraslip said:
This is a total noob question, but how do you crimp the little connectors the ebike.ca sell?

I have trouble crimping in general, and these are so tiny.

The damn things always come apart.

When I solder them, they sometimes don't fit into the housing.

Do I need another tool beside a hardware store/ automotive style crimper?

Can you post a pic of the item in question.? ta.

I have to be honest with you: I neither own nor use a dedicated crimp, I have a snipe nosed pliers used by jewelery makers and I just use that. It seems to work fine on the basic spade ends and even the small molex connections.

Yeah they look tricky alright. I did some similar molex types with a snipe, so you should be OK at that.

The great thing about the snipe/needle nose is that you can still hold it and properly see the item you are trying to crimp at the same time. I work off how the pliers feels in my hand and what I can see happening to the thing I am crimping.

if anyone doesnt have experience soldering, has that expensive crimp tool, or even if you just need a couple connectors done, i highly recommend this seller from ebay all you gotta do is just twist wires together and tape them up thats it! ive been using these for the past 2 months and they really hold up well,

the price he charges is actually cheaper than what most of these connectors cost without being crimped, he sells them precrimped with a small piece of wire attached saving you the hassle and expense of crimping, theyre very well crimped, the only thing to fail on me in 2 months has been my own twisting because after 2 months i still havent soldered to the rest of the wire (havent really needed to) these are silicon wires so they dont dry and get hard like the rest of my ebk wiring

i just really hope he makes some money selling this stuff so cheap because i dont want him to close and stop selling these, they trully are wonderful for noobs like me who dont wanna shell out $40 for a crimper or some specialty soldering tool over 2-3 connections, he has andersons (i recommend), ultra deans, jst, and even some switches, might just have to pick up some of those for later, keep in mind all these connections are pretty small and i think well worth the price to avoid the hassle it got me off and running quick which is what i wanted

http://shop.ebay.com/niksternow2010/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=
try this 2nd one if first doesnt work
http://myworld.ebay.com/niksternow2010/

oh yea forgot i had a question for u guys lol, anybody know where i can get an rca style charger connector? the one i got was rca crimped to andersons but it came lose and its too small to solder, will any rca audio cable work or does it need to be special cuz theres 2 wires coming out, usually i think they only have 1 wire coming out

thedarlington said:
oh yea forgot i had a question for u guys lol, anybody know where i can get an rca style charger connector? the one i got was rca crimped to andersons but it came lose and its too small to solder, will any rca audio cable work or does it need to be special cuz theres 2 wires coming out, usually i think they only have 1 wire coming out

RadioShack would be the easiest place. Just try to get lead-based solder for your soldering iron if you can, it's a LOT easier to work with than the antimony-based kind (Pb-based sticks to the metal, Sb-based has a really annoying tendancy to just roll off in a blob). I saw some Pb solder in an Ace (or maybe TrueValue) hardware store the other day.

Cameron

hi guys just been doing my 12awg wire upgrade for my hub motor,and came across a small problem my little 40w iron could not heat up the 12awg wire even with flux. so i had to get out my little gas torch it got the job done but i would rather of used a iron, what size iron is best for 12awg to 10awg?

What's the best tool for removing the small contacts from common halls/throttle/ebrake connectors?

I've been using a sharp soldering iron poker, or lately, a straightened out dental tool..

But there gotta be a better way.

I find I have to hold connector w/ three fingers, poke w/ another two, and pull the wire with at least two... always awkward!

I got a tool from Radioshack that looks like a metal syringe. Seven bucks and it works well on Molex male and female connectors for removal.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I got a tool from Radioshack that looks like a metal syringe...
Seriously? you use a metal syring for that? I'd definitely stab myself using that. :lol:

There's gotta be a better tool. Anyone? Something that fits perfectly in the slot and depresses the contact spring. Sharp round stuff works but it slips off.. :roll:

GCinDC said:
docnjoj said:
Seriously? you use a metal syring for that? I'd definitely stab myself using that. :lol:

There's gotta be a better tool. Anyone? Something that fits perfectly in the slot and depresses the contact spring. Sharp round stuff works but it slips off.. :roll:

No, this "metal syringe like" tool works, but is for round pins. It consists of a thinwall tube just the right size to slip in and hold the locking tabs down while the pin plus tube is slid out of the connector body. It is not sharp or small. It only works for one size of round pin Molex. Probably not what you want.

Alan B said:
GCinDC said:
docnjoj said:

No, this "metal syringe like" tool works, but is for round pins. It consists of a thinwall tube just the right size to slip in and hold the locking tabs down while the pin plus tube is slid out of the connector body. It is not sharp or small. It only works for one size of round pin Molex. Probably not what you want.

You could also use a piece of stiff tubing just small enough to slip around the pin - push the pin in a little, then, holding it there, slip the tubing around it. That way the tubing will compress the locking fins, you then can just pull the pin out because the tubing will follow until it hits the fin-stop, and the fins will not spread until the pin is out.

If you don't have tubing exactly the right size, you can use heat-shrink, just be careful to stop the heat when the tubing is fairly loose around the pin, not grabbing tight.

Cameron

100w soldering iron for 10awg works very well heats wire up very quick :)

Well, I'm through with crimped connections. It seems the jst-sm ones justin sells don't want to stay together, even when crimped and soldered.

From now on I'm doing nothing but bullets, and I'm gonna try those mpx connects that lfp mentioned.

Back