Wooden bicycles, lots of pics

https://kottke.org/23/01/the-plywood-e-bike

plywood-ebike-01.jpg

i watched sam pilgrim bust one of those bamboo frames in half doing gnarly air!

yeah if your not harsh to it i bet its pretty light and tight ride...

I wonder how wiggly/bouncy/bendy it is at that single-point connection halfway down the seattube? Does it act as a minor suspension, or is it a weak point that could eventually snap on one or both sides of the seattube?

Bamboo vs different wood grain frames and handlebars etc? Different manufacturers?
Hey! Was thinking about perhaps a gravel frame to shoehorn in a BBSHD motor, or just a road frame for basic road cycling. Is bamboo/wood a meme? Does it really absorb more vibration than carbon, is it woeth a weight penalty, generally speaking for a heavy mid drive ebike id probably need steel aluminum or titanium anyway.Which is best? Types of wood? Best manufacturers? Materia? Calfee?, twmpa, renovo? Any high end minivelo frames as well, or mostly road gravel city etc. Any city ones that accept wider gravel tires like 43 or 45 , any that come with titanium or steel forks instead of carbon ?

hell yes! it's basically fibreglass techniques but with different materials. Calfee Design uses carbon fibre tubes. i did some test pipes with kevlar (aramid) cloth and they're astonishingly light and strong. at 200 mm long with only 3 wraps round a 21.5mm PVC pipe i can barely get any bend.

i'm designing a 200kg Category L7e Hybrid EV using the same "nodes-plus-pipes-plus-cloth-plus-resin", except using FR4 (fire resistant resin), kevlar cloth (also fire-resistant) and hemp hessian. 21.5mm PVC pipes for heavy-duty connections and 12mm bamboo where it doesn't matter so much. nodes are 3D printed to "hold" the pipes in place whilst the kevlar/hessian is wrapped and the resin hardens.

this is basically a really good proven technique, it's just not commonly known.
Bamboo vs different wood grain frames and handlebars etc? Different manufacturers?
Hey! Was thinking about perhaps a gravel frame to shoehorn in a BBSHD motor, or just a road frame for basic road cycling. Is bamboo/wood a meme? Does it really absorb more vibration than carbon, is it woeth a weight penalty, generally speaking for a heavy mid drive ebike id probably need steel aluminum or titanium anyway.Which is best? Types of wood? Best manufacturers? Materia? Calfee?, twmpa, renovo? Any high end minivelo frames as well, or mostly road gravel city etc. Any city ones that accept wider gravel tires like 43 or 45 , any that come with titanium or steel forks instead of carbon ?

I think it's funny that you would consider a wooden or bamboo frame, but have qualms about a carbon plastic fork.

Back