Yet another BMS

Would it be possible to use your designed BMS with intersil chip for 24s somehow?
If not - maybe to pick another intersil chip?

zhivko said:
Would it be possible to use your designed BMS with intersil chip for 24s somehow?
If not - maybe to pick another intersil chip?

Hi,
No, this chip is not the right one to build a 24S BMS. You should prefer an ISL94212 but no protection neither current measurement on that kind of IC.
Linear is one of the first to develop that kind of 12S stackable ic : LT680x family. Plus, Linear never obsolete any IC, on the other hand, price is high.
I think Maxim IC and maybe some other manufacturers have also its own solution but with the same philosophy, stackable, but only monitoring and cell balancing, no protection and current counting.

What chemistry and capacity/current do you want to hold with your BMS ?

ISL94212 is a nice chip, but less-than-12 cell connection is just absurd:
orUzpou.png

Ok for fixed solutions, not so much ok for universal product.

circuit said:
DIY people are not really the target market for those chips. TI, LTC, Intersil, etc aren't going to worry too much about one-off designs as there's no real volume. Anything with enough volume for them to care about will be a fixed solution.

dmwahl said:
circuit said:
DIY people are not really the target market for those chips. TI, LTC, Intersil, etc aren't going to worry too much about one-off designs as there's no real volume. Anything with enough volume for them to care about will be a fixed solution.
I agree with you. Hobbyist electronics with highly specialized ICs is quite hard, from purchasing to soldering...
About ISL94203, it seems that someone have ordered ten of on Mouser website. As a consequence, a stock of 990 is forecast for the beginning of June.

Somebody there contact me these days to share some experience with ISL94203 ic.
So, it make make me a comeback into this project and the idea that somebody else will suffer as i did into datasheets, code and so on make me want to help him (and probably help me to feel this project "alive").

To remain in peace with my mind, somebody else there contact me a year ago, i ask about thinks i never did. No time, i apologize for this.

So, the design is under eagle (not kicad, but next time for sure) and respect the usage of a no commercial design (less than 100x80mm board, one sheet of schematics). You can then download and run a fresh installation of eagle and go into design :

http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/
View attachment 8S_SMART_BMS.zip

I'll also disclose the fw in some time, but i have to review and release it as a stable version and in a way that help collaborate (Github probably).

Hi,

Is still alive this project?

Hello Fpie,

I'm working on ISL94202/3 with stm32, just like you. But I had an issue about I2C side of sw. I try to find someone like tried and succeeded communication, and I encounter this topic.

Will you share your sw? Maybe not whole code but communication side of stm32 ?

I hope , you still read this topic :)
MCO

Is your project OpenSource? If so I can help you with information about that issue.

Hello Casainho,

for this time being, my code is imported version of my previous BMS project which includes Bq76930. So, in the code, there is no more than I2C with DMA.

First thing first, I tried to get responce from ISL94202, but always I get that communication timeout.

what will be your help about topic? Pseudo code of comm. flow or sample code of stm32 or ?

MCO

Hi,

I'm working on a project and i'm using a ISL94203. I've one board to test made by me but i can't get it to work properly.
I can read the register of ISL94203 through I2C as the temperature, cell voltage, VBATT voltage...
My problem is with charging the battery, I connect the charger on circuit and the ISL94203 not recognize him and she not turn on the charge FET. I'm using the single path and in both monitor pins (CHMON and LDMON) have voltage of the charger.

My circuit is very similar to yours, Can you help me?

I'm in doubt if the problem it's in hardware or in software. Can you say me what setting did you use?

Hi,

It's hard for me to remember all the behaviour of the ISL94203. I do not work on this project since a long time. Do you have the hand on the firmware and your external MCU. One thing to do maybe to read out all registers on ISL94203 and analyse it

Let me know.

fpie said:
Hi,

It's hard for me to remember all the behaviour of the ISL94203. I do not work on this project since a long time. Do you have the hand on the firmware and your external MCU. One thing to do maybe to read out all registers on ISL94203 and analyse it

Let me know.
This problem it's solve. I hasn't connect the pin FETSOFF to MCU.
However I have problem writing to the EEPROM.
I can read RAM and ROM and the values it's correct also I can write in RAM.
Sometimes I can write in ROM but it's very random. I'm using STM32 and HAL library but I also tested with arduino and it's the same.
is it normal have disconnect the battery to save values in ROM?

rprb said:
is it normal have disconnect the battery to save values in ROM?
No, there's a process to write to ROM detailed in one of the app notes. I forget the details but as I recall it's basically the following steps with a wait between them to allow it to actually do the write.
1) Enable EEPROM access
2) Write the byte to EEPROM twice
3) Disable EEPROM access
4) Compare RAM with EEPROM contents to verify that the write was sucessful

dmwahl said:
No, there's a process to write to ROM detailed in one of the app notes. I forget the details but as I recall it's basically the following steps with a wait between them to allow it to actually do the write.
1) Enable EEPROM access
2) Write the byte to EEPROM twice
3) Disable EEPROM access
4) Compare RAM with EEPROM contents to verify that the write was sucessful

Yes I'm making this process but i go try write de byte to eeprom twice.
To read the EEPROM values am I make this same process? Because I can't read EEPROM values with enable EEPROM access.
In datasheet it say that EEPROM values are copied to RAM in power up, "When the device powers up, the ISL94203 transfers the contents
of the configuration EEPROM memory areas to RAM", so I ask if I've to disconnect the battery to save the values and I suppose that EEPROM values that I read are the ones saved in RAM.

Here is the code using STM32f401
https://github.com/rprb93/BMS94203.git

it's working :D
I duplicated the read and write process and wait 30ms between operation and it's working.
thank

Did you have to duplicate the read process? I haven't had any issues reading from the ROM with only a single write. I have a 1ms wait between sending the address byte to read and doing the actual read since the datasheet says it takes ~200us to read from ROM, but I didn't need to do the read twice. Either way it's not a big deal since you rarely need to read from ROM.

circuit said:
What scares me is that lithium battery industry is developing so quickly, that chip manufacturers hardly can keep up. This year alone there are over 20 new chips available. Sadly a lot of previously (1-3 years ago) announced chips are already obsolete (maxim & intersil, I'm looking at you). That is a bad business practice... Let's say I invest my time and money in to developing a BMS based on a chip, do tests, certification, preparation for mass production, etc... And bam, obsolete even before sales begins...

I know this is an old thread but I just 'discovered' the ISL94203 and 202 ... yet you say other chips make these obsolete ... what is the best current IC to begin with for a BMS ... 6s-14s as an example?

rprb said:
it's working :D
I duplicated the read and write process and wait 30ms between operation and it's working.
thank

Hi,

How is your project going? I have just found this thread and am interested in how your DIY BMS is going?

I'm relatively new to electronics but I'm keen to learn and make a BMS. Do you have any open source files, etc?

Cheers.

What is the state of that 'Yet another BMS" ?

We would appreciate to get any new/people using and/or still working on it.

LOL, I see I have answered without checking the content of this thread, as I also follow other topic with similar title.
Sorry, can't comment on this one. It looks dead like every other DIY/open BMS project out there. BMS is actually much more complex thing than it looks from first impression, reason why most don't survive the time.

@circuit.

Actually, I've been looking at the on you kinked to and it looks interesting and pretty well documented.

But ordering it is just so expensive (45€ for shipping to France) !

They have a precharge ability. Have you any idea why they don't use a "hot-swap controler". They could combine both, power MOSFET on the same Precharger Mosfet.

Do you know if they would have some kind of open version ? On what chip it is based ..... ?

It seems you have been quite involved in that TinyBMS. Would you share back some information ?

I can't find any user feedback here or somewhere else. Would you have some ?

I'm thinking to get one of these Chinese SmartBMS that look pretty configurable with BT app plus LCD screen available for about 1/3 the price of the tinyMBS s516.
Would you have any advices to be aware of for the choice ?

Back